PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubunto 9.04 on Acer Aspire One and noisy fan

ckuter
May 7th, 2009, 01:39 AM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my AA1 (a0a 150) via a Wubi installation. The fan will not stop running even though the laptop is cool to the touch.

I tried this fix:

Some Acer Aspire One netbooks out there suffer from a noisy fan. Mine too and it was really starting to drive me crazy. I really wouldn’t want to be caught using it in a quiet place like a library for example. Luckily there’s a couple of scripts you can use to control the fan. The aspireone.net Wiki has all the details, but here’s a quick rundown of what you need to do to get rid of the noise:

download the acerfand daemon script
download the acer_ec.pl script (direct download)
Copy both files to /usr/local/bin
make acerfand executable using chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/acerfand
open /etc/rc.local as root (or use sudo) and add /usr/local/bin/acerfand at the end of the file

This did not change a thing. Does the Wubi installation prevent Ubuntu from controlling the fan?

1roxtar
May 7th, 2009, 09:18 AM
That's a unique problem. I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Aspire One with Wubi, too. I haven't experienced any problems with the fan or any other thing to be honest. Maybe you might have a faulty fan. Does it do the same thing with Windows???

ckuter
May 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
No problem with XP. I used one of the Windows fan control problem and it works flawlesssly.

Aearenda
May 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
It's better to use acerhdf - the 8.04 instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne still work for 9.04. I don't know whether wubi interferes with this, but it's easy to try.

ckuter
May 8th, 2009, 12:59 AM
No go. When I do the make, it says something about not finding a lib/modules/2.6.28-11-server/build: No such file or directory. In the lib/modules/ on my pc, I and 2.6.28-11-generic and 2.6.28-11-server. The is no build in the server module.

Aearenda
May 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I suspect your fan will behave with the generic kernel! Why do you run the server kernel on a netbook?

ckuter
May 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM
That is what the fix you suggested selected.

Aearenda
May 8th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I'm confused - the setup for acerhdf works with whatever kernel you are running. It doesn't install a kernel, or select a kernel, itself.

To verify what kernel you are running, do this is a terminal:
uname -r

bajunganut
May 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my AA1 (a0a 150) via a Wubi installation. The fan will not stop running even though the laptop is cool to the touch.

I tried this fix:

Some Acer Aspire One netbooks out there suffer from a noisy fan. Mine too and it was really starting to drive me crazy. I really wouldn’t want to be caught using it in a quiet place like a library for example. Luckily there’s a couple of scripts you can use to control the fan. The aspireone.net Wiki has all the details, but here’s a quick rundown of what you need to do to get rid of the noise:

download the acerfand daemon script
download the acer_ec.pl script (direct download)
Copy both files to /usr/local/bin
make acerfand executable using chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/acerfand
open /etc/rc.local as root (or use sudo) and add /usr/local/bin/acerfand at the end of the file

This did not change a thing. Does the Wubi installation prevent Ubuntu from controlling the fan?

This didn't work for me either, or at least I thought.

Try running: sudo acerfand

Doing so forced the script to run and it made my fan stop right away and will auto start if temp is greater than 70 degrees.

If your fan still doesn't turn off then check the log to see if the script is running:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there is a setting that we are forgetting to make the script run when we first turn on our computer. It seems like placing /usr/local/bin/acerfand in the rc.local doesn't execute at startup? And yes... the line is above the exit 0 :)

ckuter
May 9th, 2009, 12:50 AM
This didn't work for me either, or at least I thought.

Try running: sudo acerfand

Doing so forced the script to run and it made my fan stop right away and will auto start if temp is greater than 70 degrees.

If your fan still doesn't turn off then check the log to see if the script is running:

sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog

------------------------------------------------------

Maybe there is a setting that we are forgetting to make the script run when we first turn on our computer. It seems like placing /usr/local/bin/acerfand in the rc.local doesn't execute at startup? And yes... the line is above the exit 0 :)

Thanks The syslog says my bios, v0.3116 is unsupported. Now to find a supported bios and install it. I did put the line abovre the exit 0 line.