PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu restored the sound on my old IBM Thinkpad T20

IndyTek
May 7th, 2009, 12:20 AM
:guitar:Just a comment here to whomsoever might be interested. I am new to Linux and indeed the Ubuntu platform. I've heard about and shunned linux for over 6 years when just last week I thought I'd give it ago. Most people are of the inclination that when something has no price tag and yet sounds like the next best thing since sliced bread... that its too good to be true, or there got to be a catch. In most cases I would say this is true.

However boy! :KShave I been utterly blown away by Ubuntu. It simply WORKS! It was easy to install took a fraction of the time it takes to install any Windows OS. It didn't ask for any drives. It found and installed by network printer without any fuss.

Best of all I installed it on my old IBM Thinkpad T20 on which I have in the past run Windows 98se, Windows 2000, Windows XP and then back to Windows 2000. Ever since I've had it after aquiring it second hand several years ago the sound has never worked despite trying all the tricks and drivers available to mankind. The only way I got any sound from it was to attach usb speakers.

To be honest I thought that the sound board was faulty even though it appeared functional in the device manager. I wasn't expecting Ubuntu to be any different but was I shocked when for the first time in years by trusty IBM T20 sang to me. It was music to my ears...:guitar:

mhaight
May 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
You're Windows OS's probably couldn't read the sound board, maybe it was too old but Ubuntu is designed for old or lo-quality computers because of its simpleness and doesn't require too much of the computer.