PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How can I find out what is keeping filesystem busy?

plonka2000
May 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Hi all,

I have a random question that has been bothering me for a while.

I have a home-built server (running Ubuntu x64, samba, webmin, vmware server 2.0 and an mdadm raid 5 array.

I have my samba shares on my mdadm array as its own /raid mount point and the rest of the system sits as normal under /

I also store my VMWare Server 2.0 VM's on my /raid filesystem even though all vmware binaries are installed on the main system /, and I always shutdown VMs before restarting or shutting down the system.

All works very well.

However, frequently, when I try to shutdown or restart this system, I find the system is unable to unmount the mdadm /raid volume.

Its come to the point before where I've forcefully unmounted it after waiting days and when it was next remounted, it was marked as corrupt causing mdadm to reconstruct it... Worrying, and I dont want to do that again.

My main question is, is there a way for me to find out what exactly is stopping me from unmounting my raid volume?
Is there a log that will tell me, or does anyone know if any of the applications I'm using may cause my filesystem to be marked as busy?

Thanks.

CrashTest71
May 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Maybe some process is holding a file open.

The "lsof" command might shed some light on that. I'd try "lsof |grep raid".

fjgaude
May 7th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Usually you can stop an array with the --stop command of mdadm:

sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md[nn]

That command is likely used in a script somewhere. Locate it.

plonka2000
May 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks very much guys,

Im going to try these and report back.

Apologies for my late reply, I've just moved house and have intermittent internet access.

Thanks a bunch. :)

plonka2000
May 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Maybe some process is holding a file open.

The "lsof" command might shed some light on that. I'd try "lsof |grep raid".

Tried this, I got:

root@soundwave:~# lsof |grep raid
md0_raid5 2821 root cwd DIR 8,97 4096 2 /
md0_raid5 2821 root rtd DIR 8,97 4096 2 /
md0_raid5 2821 root txt unknown /proc/2821/exe

Usually you can stop an array with the --stop command of mdadm:

sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md[nn]

That command is likely used in a script somewhere. Locate it.

Also tried that and got:

root@soundwave:~# sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm: fail to stop array /dev/md0: Device or resource busy

Something is making my array busy, and unmountable even though I know nothing is accessing it.
I made sure all my VMs are down as well as that could be the only possible thing I would have thought. :(

Any ideas guys?

fjgaude
May 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Okay, try unmounting the array and then stopping it:

sudo umount /dev/md0

sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md0

See what happens then.

minsik
May 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
try install iotop which is a file system monitor like top.

apt-get install iotop and then run it in a console or via ssh console. O will reduce all items displayed back to what is reading and writing on a file system on your pc.

I believe it can be put into a batch mode and grep the results to a file but i an such a beginner i dont know how to do that yet.

good luck.