PDA

View Full Version : Break out the Pringles can?

beekr
May 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
My 2yr old pulled the antenna off my wireless adapter card. Nothing was actually broke, I can put it back on, but now I can only get 12MB/s down. Is there any way to get back to 54MB/s ? I have a few Pringles cans laying around and a soldering gun ^_^ .

dragos240
May 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Perhaps search for what is inside your particular card? And erm.... scold your son?

gletob
May 7th, 2009, 01:03 AM
When I did bad thing my Dad would make me go out back to the oak tree and cut off a switch, and then you know the rest.

On topic though the pringles can sounds fun but I've never tried it.

benj1
May 7th, 2009, 01:06 AM
give it a try

bill and ted fixed a time machine with chewing gum and coke cans.

oh and post a photo when youre finished.:)

nowin4me
May 7th, 2009, 02:02 AM
oh and post a photo when youre finished.:)

+1

Skripka
May 7th, 2009, 02:17 AM
MacGyver could fix that with a paperclip, a ball of string and a Swiss Army Knife.

CJ Master
May 7th, 2009, 03:03 AM
MacGyver could fix that with a paperclip, a ball of string and a Swiss Army Knife.

MacGyver could fix it with a strand of hair.

Bungo Pony
May 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I actually built two of these Pringles can antennas for a guy at work years ago. Can't remember how well they performed.

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

http://www.oreillynet.com/images/weblog_graphics/flickenger/shotgun-200.jpg

beekr
May 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
/w00t! we have a winner.

myusername
May 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
macgyver could fix it with 2 broken legs and a duck

benj1
May 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
are US cans all metal?

because UK cans are mainly cardboard (apart from the base), im not an expert in such things but i can't see why you would need a cardboard tube ????

mcduck
May 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
are US cans all metal?

because UK cans are mainly cardboard (apart from the base), im not an expert in such things but i can't see why you would need a cardboard tube ????

At least every Pringles can I've sen has a tin foil inside the cardboard tube..

benj1
May 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
At least every Pringles can I've sen has a tin foil inside the cardboard tube..

thats what theyre like in the uk, like the inside of tetrapaks, wouldn't have thought it would be very good at reflecting radio waves

wannadumpwindows
May 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Have you seen these? Same concept, just slightly more polished. They work really nice.

http://www.wirelessgardenstore.com/default.asp?Redirected=Y

You could probably just cut the pigtail off and solder it directly if that's what you're in to.

Maheriano
May 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
You're all forgetting that McGyver would at least require some duct tape, he uses that for everything.

Dragonbite
May 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
You're all forgetting that McGyver would at least require some duct tape, he uses that for everything.

That's because he owned stock in the stuff! :)

koenn
May 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM

You're confused, that's B.A. Baracus, the A-team.

LowSky
May 7th, 2009, 09:40 PM
You're confused, that's B.A. Baracus, the A-team.

McG uses Gum more often than tape , althought McG built a airplain out of duct tape, bamboo, and a lawn mower engine.

back on topic, just buy a new wireless card... mine cost me less than $20

Alterax
May 7th, 2009, 09:51 PM
are US cans all metal?

Here's where the ham radio operator in me comes in. Actually you don't need a cardboard tube per se; the real magic comes from having an open-ended metal tube--which is what it becomes once the aluminum foil lines the can.

The result is that any EM radiation that hits the open end of the can is from a very narrow portion--it's incredibly directional. The waves bounce around inside until they hit the element. The directionality is good because you don't get the interference from other items nearby, like cordless phones, bluetooth headsets, vacuum cleaners, other access points et cetera.

It also does a great job of sending signals along a narrow path. Rather than extending in a spherical direction from the element, it bounces off of the walls of the can. There is a slight amount of interference within the can, but once it gets out through the open end, it's not only highly directional, but has positive interference that gives it a stronger signal than it would with a standard element.

They're fun. I've used them at the top of an 11-story building to reach an access point that was over five miles away.

benj1
May 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
McG uses Gum more often than tape , althought McG built a airplain out of duct tape, bamboo, and a lawn mower engine.

back on topic, just buy a new wireless card... mine cost me less than $20

mr t wouldn't make a plane
[MR T] i ain't making no plane, fool [/MR T]

@ alterax
thats why i was confused, because its a cardboard tube, but youre right it would work with tin foil in it.

Skripka
May 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM
They're fun. I've used them at the top of an 11-story building to reach an access point that was over five miles away.

Damn...that is impressive.