PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft OneNote Alternatives

VioletsPie
May 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
What are your favorite note-keeping/mapmaking/diagram whatever programs?

I really like Microsoft OneNote.. FreeMind is OK.

I've tried Tomboy Notes and ZimWiki.. what are your favorites?

gnomeuser
May 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I quite enjoy tomboy and occasionally pen and paper for quick ideas that need sketching out.

pwnst*r
May 6th, 2009, 09:49 PM
you can make maps and diagrams in one note?

Ms_Angel_D
May 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
+1 for Tomboy

geoken
May 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I run Google notebook either online or with Prism. It's simple and not feature rich but I like the fact that I can access it anywhere from virtually any device.

VioletsPie
May 6th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, hate on Microsoft or not but OneNote 2007 is a pretty powerful application (calendering, diagraming, tabs, etc all in one).

I understand that opensource can't take on mammoth programs. My main focus here is organized notetaking for academic purposes not word processing.. I find all the programs mentioned by others or me acceptable of course but wonder if there's one "killer app" that people like.

Obviously just trying different ones is what I've been doing but just throwing the question out there.

Craig73
May 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
TomBoy and EverNote 2.x.

I like OneNote - primarily how you can add todo's or flags to individual line items in a note and then summarize it elsewhere. Although admittedly I used it mostly at work as I got out of the habit of using it at home (as I was using TomBoy and EverNote)

I have been using EverNote - the 2.x version that doesn't store your data online, and like it and it runs well enough under Wine (annoying black bars in other apps though if you don't minimize it or have the compositing desktop turned on).

The main disadvantage of either of these is that at least under Wine (haven't tried it under a lightweight VM yet) is that when you paste from your browser it really can only paste text :-( (HTML and Pictures do not paste unless it is out of a browser running under WINE)

I have been intending on giving Basket Note Pads a run for it's money - it seems much like EverNote but I believe it is a KDE app. TomBoy is certainly much lighter - but it looks like I can store images with Basket Note Pads.

(I'd really like something with inline todo's rather than todo's on the whole note. I guess it's whether you chunk out your ideas or take notes based a larger idea and then add todo's/flags to the points within the note)

Tibuda
May 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I had a dejavu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1172913).

Tomboy rocks, and now they are working on a online sync service.

unoodles
May 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I dont use notes applications, but I've heard Basket is pretty good. Its in the repo

steeleyuk
May 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Gnote ;)

Zim is one which I quite like.

henry0712
March 2nd, 2011, 01:18 AM
I have created an online notetaking site. You can take your notes and share them with others. It's completely free.
http://mynoteweb.com

juancarlospaco
March 2nd, 2011, 01:20 AM
Cherry Tree is the winner

Quadunit404
March 2nd, 2011, 03:56 AM
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/Quadunit404/threadnecromancer.jpg

BrokenKingpin
March 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I agree, OneNote is probably the only MS product I miss on Linux. The best alternative I can find is Zim, which gets the job done, but not as good as OneNote.

Tom Boy is too simplistic and doesn't give the note hierarchy I am looking for.