PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty freezes after screensaver's appearence

suresnjain
May 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
If my pc is idle for 10 minutes(the time that I have set), screensaver appears, and runs for one or two minutes and then the whole system freezes and one has to just shut the pc and restart again.If you approach the screensaver box via system-preference-screensaver then as soon as you reach this stage of screensaver box the system freezes as well.Can you suggest any way out?:confused::(

micio
May 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
For me Jaunty freezes also without screensaver.. It freezes randomly.
It isn't a video driver problem because the first time happened during the first boot at gdm screen.
However it happens also after install video driver.

Micio

joewski
May 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
The systems may not actually be freezing.

To test if the system is frozen press the caps lock key. if you can toggle the keys you still have a live system.

Another test is to crt-alt-F1 to switch into terminal mode.

Other times the black screen can sometime be removed by pressing esc key.

Two other issues can cause a machine to lock up, the first is bios settings related to memory. One machine would lock up after the CPU or memory got hot. I ended up diagnosing the problem by watching the CPU temperature. Turned out to be a faulty fan clamp.

the second problem I came across is poor cable joints to a hard drive. I spent two weeks and many hours on a system that had a crappy power cable splitter. The system would fail randomly especially on big file transfers. It was most annoying because I thought my harddrives where failing.

suresnjain
May 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Have tried all the methods, but system surely freezes.Since this one is a dual boot,xp side is running quite o.k:(:(

merlin666
August 6th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Same problem here (ie no caps lock response) - has there been a follow up on this?

Trapper
August 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
The only resolve I have found to the freeze/lockup difficulties in Ubuntu is to go back and use an older release that does not lock up on you. This phantom lockup problem exists not only in Ubuntu 9.04. It's also a major problem with Fedora 11 and Fedora 10 is suspect too. Actually U 8.10 has it's times too. I have had issues with a number of machines with different hardware and they exist whether I use 3rd party or just basic video drivers. All these issues totally disappear when I revert back to Ubuntu 8.04 or Fedora 9. My personal "theory" is that linux or something running on linux is not adhering to correct motherboard/cpu instruction. This difficulty does not show it's ugly head on Windows, at least back to and including 2000. Linux sure is starting to remind me of Windows 95 though. Hard resets were a requirement multiple times, daily. There's nothing more exasperating. Lack of confidence in your OS sucks.

GoldenSun
August 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I had a similar problem using the "euphoria" screen saver.
The only way I could fix this was to use a different less intensive screen saver...

BigBangTheory
September 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hi,

Same problem here on my desktop. Does anybody know a solution?

merlin666
September 9th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Same problem here on my desktop. Does anybody know a solution?

The freezes occured when I had the screensaver set to random. Now I am going through the installed screensavers one after the other abnd so far have only found one that causes the problem ... I am only in the Gs though ... My suggestion is to use a screensaver that is fine.

Otherwise Jaunty is great. This is the first distribution that I actually use more than XP, with wireless, flash, java and many other features all working well in 64bit.