PDA

View Full Version : Best GTK file manager with the smallest interface?

hessiess
May 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I am looking for a simple graphical file browser like thunar, but without all of the useless ``padding'' in the GUI, borders should be an absolute maximum of 1px, and it should be able to attach an application to a file type, so that selecting it will open the file in the correct program, Good keyboard control is also useful . I have looked into file managers like midnight commander, but it doesn't seem to be able to open files.

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
The only file managers I commonly use a rox-filer, thunar, nautilus, and dolphin.

Not sure off the top if rox-filer is gtk+ although if it is it might suit you. (it is the one used in puppy linux)

Kareeser
May 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Try PCMan file manager. It comes with Crunchbang Linux.

spupy
May 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rox. It's all you requested.
See attached screenshot. (Of course the icons can be smaller. :) )

will1911a1
May 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM

I like the looks of that. May have to try it out.

hessiess
May 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Rox looks nice and simple, but the keyboard integration could be better...

myusername
May 6th, 2009, 07:48 PM
rox seems to be what you're looking for. although pcmanfm blows it out of the water

spupy
May 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Rox looks nice and simple, but the keyboard integration could be better...

You can use the GTK option which lets you redefine the shortcuts of menu items.

Giant Speck
May 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Is it possible to control desktop icons with a file manager other than Nautilus?

sertse
May 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM
PCmanFM can I think? LXDE uses it that way to provide it's desktop.

dragos240
May 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Xfm is one of the simplest ones.

spupy
May 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Is it possible to control desktop icons with a file manager other than Nautilus?

Rox can show desktop icons - a pinboard. But it's not the same as nautilus - it doesn't show what's on your desktop, but you put whatever you want on a pinboard.

wersdaluv
May 7th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I am looking for a simple graphical file browser like thunar, but without all of the useless ``padding'' in the GUI, borders should be an absolute maximum of 1px, and it should be able to attach an application to a file type, so that selecting it will open the file in the correct program, Good keyboard control is also useful . I have looked into file managers like midnight commander, but it doesn't seem to be able to open files.
Since Intrepid, I stopped using other file managers than Nautilus. Maybe, it's because I don't need a light file manager anymore. My Nautilus has a smaller interface than usual as I use the "text beside icons" setting for gtk apps.

etnlIcarus
May 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I second my annoyance at thunar's fat borders. I downloaded the source, hoping to find the relevant section and simply change the padding thickness but it proved more illusive than I anticipated.

Mark76
May 7th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Seting keyboard shortcuts for menu items in ROX (it's an acronym) filer is easy.

1: Open the right click menu in a RF window

2: Select "Options"

3: Select "Menus"

4: Click on "Set Keyboard Shortcuts"

5: Open the right click menu again and hover the cursor over a menu item, then press the key combination you want to use for that item and a label should appear to the right of it.

Easy peasy :D

Note: Once you've done steps 1 to 4 you don't need to do them again.

stinger30au
May 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
have you tried "gnome commander" im using 9.04 and its in the repos sudo apt-get install gnomecommander that should do the trick if not, just do a search thru applications - add remove and search on gnome commander and tick the box and click install and bobs your aunty

mcduck
May 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Nautilus in spatial mode.. <3

(thread title asks for a file manager, not a file browser. Besides, it's pretty impossible to get more minimalistic UI on a graphical file manager than this. No toolbars, no side panels, just your files.. :D)

Mark76
May 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
You can turn the toolbar off in ROX Filer (all the options are in the right click menu anyway).