PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unusable screen after change to resolution

currywuss
May 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I updated to Jaunty the other day, all seemed well at the time but then I restarted the laptop. I found various problems, including not being able to see the bottom bar/windows that were minimized 'disappearing'. I thought this might be a resolution issue, so I changed this, only to wish I hadn't.... :oops:

The screen is now divided vertically into four sections, so that every icon on the desktop/top bar appear four times. I can just about make out what the icons are, but I can't read the results of any commands I type into a terminal window. ](*,) So I guess I need to be able to sort this out in the recovery mode menu? Via the root shell promt. Oh dear. Any ideas welcome.

Kareeser
May 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to drop down into a terminal prompt.

Log in, and try the command "xrandr". It'll probe your video outputs and mark the ideal resolution with a "+" next to the mode.

Change your resolution with the command:

xrandr --output VGA --mode "1280x768"
But replace the resolution with the proper one. Also make sure "VGA" is the name of your device. It varies from computer to computer.

currywuss
May 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks. The problem is, I can't read what the terminal says, my screen (after typing xrandr into a terminal) looks like this:
BTW I'm using a different machine to write at the moment.

Mark Phelps
May 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
The suggestion of CTRL-Alt-F1 will drop you into a text-mode console, not an xterm window. Try what was suggested.