PDA

View Full Version : What sort of opensource user are you?

monsterstack
May 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I see a lot of diversity around here as to why people use open source software. There are the Stallman types who firmly believe in software freedom for its own sake; and then there are the people who see software as simply the tool to get a job done and don't mind using proprietary stuff so long as it's well-made. Well, which camp do you fall into?

eragon100
May 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I don't mind whether or not my applications are free, I just want to get stuff done.

stwschool
May 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not dogmatically anti-proprietary, I will use proprietary where it's necessary (ie my machine works so much better with proprietary Nvidia drivers) but on the other hand, if the free alternative is better or equal, I will choose that.

monsterstack
May 6th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm not dogmatically anti-proprietary, I will use proprietary where it's necessary (ie my machine works so much better with proprietary Nvidia drivers) but on the other hand, if the free alternative is better or equal, I will choose that.

I know what you mean. Whilst I admire Stallman and his beliefs, browsing the web with wget (http://lwn.net/Articles/262570/) [lwn.net] just isn't really for me, and neither is having a GPU you can't make use of.

kirsis
May 6th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I like applications that do what they need to do and are well thought out, so I'm theoretically ideology-neutral. However, I'm a bit more skeptical/cautious when it comes to FOSS.

Generic_Guy
May 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
For hardware: Do you really have a choice?
For software: If it ain't free or it ain't necessary for my hardware to work, I ain't installing it.
For games: If they're fun, and I have them, onto the hard drive they go! :D

Barrucadu
May 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I use open source everything other than Opera (I think). I used to use the proprietary Catalyst drivers, but as I don't need 3D performance I switched to the FOSS drivers. Suddenly, my battery lives for half an hour longer and X no longer freezes if I unplug the power. I get 14FPS on GLXGears though, which I consider a more than fair trade.

I will probably switch from Opera to Uzbl soon though, as I feel a bit of a hypocrite not using a browser I'm developing that's capable (almost) of doing what I need.

original_jamingrit
May 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I try to do the most just with free stuff, but I like to play some proprietary games as well, with wine and otherwise.

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I will not use proprietary software unless I am entitled to. It strikes me as annoying when people pirate software such as Adobe Photoshop and then toot its horn and say that it is better than quality open source alternatives. Generally I will use any open source alternative available, even if it is unfortunately of (arguably) less quality. Such as the new free Nvidia driver.

My rewards are the many applications that completely 'own', such as GIMP and Konqueror.

slakkie
May 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I will not use proprietary software unless I am entitled to. It strikes me as annoying when people pirate software such as Adobe Photoshop and then toot its horn and say that it is better than quality open source alternatives.

+1. If it is better, why don't you pay for the software? I completely agree with you.

civillian
May 6th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I prefer to use the free stuff, but I use closed-source stuff if I have to

I do enjoy having the same access to the internet and my music collection as the rest of the world thankyou. And as much as I would like all software to be free, I don't think its a viable option for the small businesses that thrive making software.

kirsis
May 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I will not use proprietary software unless I am entitled to.

+1. That's partly the reason why I got into Linux in the first place - didn't want to use pirated apps.

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM
So long as it works, it's fine.

kirsis
May 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM
+1. If it is better, why don't you pay for the software? I completely agree with you.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended will be available in North America for an estimated street price of US$999

That's why :D

That's a quote from an outdated webpage and you can likely find used copies/older versions for a lot less, but you get the idea ...

MikeTheC
May 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I firmly believe the key to our future personal liberty and security lies with the ethic of the F/OSS movement. I'm not anti-capitalist by any means, but I do not desire to be manipulated by others.

That being said, as a practical matter there are certain commercial and/or $-wise "free" but proprietary apps (iTunes, for instance) that either suit my needs better and/or are required for certain things I own to inter-operate correctly.

There's a quote I like from Star Trek VI: "Even logic must give way to physics."

The simple fact of the matter is that the F/OSS community needs to do more if we're to claim victory in the hearts and minds of the computer-using public. In order for us to "win" we must be willing to fight the battle through ensuring we have every freaking kind of app that a user can want. This whole "I use Linux and I don't give a s*** what anyone else uses" mentality is going to get us (that is, the F/OSS movement) killed. If you want me to be able to use Banshee or Amarok or Rhythmbox (rest in peace) in lieu of iTunes, then you'd d*mned-well better make one or all of them unexceptionally- and unqualifiably-better solutions. If you want me to never fire up Photoshop or InDesign again, you'd d*mned-well better make Gimp and Scribus the equal of those apps. If you never want me reaching for Dreamweaver again, then this community needs to get it's collective head out of it's *ss and realize not all of us are -- or have ambitions to be -- coders, and we need a top-flight web page/web site construction utility that allows us to design graphically that is AT LEAST AS GOOD as Dreamweaver, and quite probably has the capabilities and refinements of iWeb and RapidWeaver (and not just "thrown in") as well.

We also need to understand that part of the reason Apple has been so successful is they offer a platform known for it's fairly seamless integration, and in particular the multimedia apps such as the iLife suite, and Keynote (as far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on Pages). We need apps that are at least as good as those apps. In fact, we need those apps period. Where the h*ll are they in Linux?

What the F/OSS community has to accept is that simply putting out an OS that's more secure and stable than Windows isn't good enough anymore (for the desktop user). Apple's doing that, and Apple represents serious competition in the world of ideas. We need to quit trying to ignore that fact, or somehow sweep it under the rug or try to justify and rationalize it under such excuses as "Apple's into vendor lock-in" or "Apple writes proprietary software" or "Apple premium-prices their hardware". I don't want to hear it any more. Those are excuses, and they're not doing us any good.

The better question to ask is "Yeah, so? And what are we doing about it?" When you get the answer "Nuthin'," then you know who and what you're up against, and maybe it's time to find new blood and new leadership who are willing to do something about this.

</rant>

kirsis
May 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
<rant>...
</rant>

While I agree with you on principle, I can't help but feel that the lack of these applications is indicative of the possibility of such applications arising and maturing in a FOSS environment (at least under the current development model).

roachk71
May 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I prefer free, open source software, but since I need 3D acceleration, I'm forced to use the proprietary nVidia Linux driver. Also, I need VirtualBox OSE to test new operating system images upon release.

Otherwise, you won't even find WINE on this computer (you really don't wanna get the Penguin drunk, hehe), and the OS images, along with their virtual environments end up deleted once testing is complete. I've also switched (mostly) from using MP3 streams for music, to Ogg Vorbis, since my Sansa Clip now fully supports the format (so long as the bitrate is 192k or higher.) :)

will1911a1
May 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I use free stuff when I can but I'm not shy about installing closed source apps if they do what I want them to.

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
To rephrase, a program being free as in freedom doesn't matter so long as it's free as in beer. It's not like you have any leverage over the coder to give up their work, it's free, it's a gift. If you don't like that you can't see the source, then don't use it, and don't buy any hardware that depends on it. Prefering the opensource alternative of a closedsource program is purely a political choice for a non-programmer, assuming that both work equally well. Which one do you like more? Which one works better for you? Which one has better support? Choose that one. Good software will gain users, and bad software will lose them. The open/closed source debate is really just a meta-arguement waiting to happen.

People that buy iPods and then get mad that they don't work correctly in Linux have no right to complain that there isn't a "free" equivalent to iTunes. You can voice your desire for one, but the only person that put you in the situation of having a unusable iPod is you. You're free to either install Windows and iTunes, or return/sell the iPod and get something that works under Linux. Get a generic MTP or USB-mass-storage player, there are a load of them. The Sansas are pretty nice.

Just use good software, what will be will be.

mobilediesel
May 6th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I prefer to use the free stuff, but I use closed-source stuff if I have to.

I was going to dual-boot my computer between XP Pro and Ubuntu. When I was getting ready to reboot to do just that, Internet Explorer locked up the computer! Since I already backed up my personal stuff I put the Live CD in the drive and hit the reset button. When the CD booted I told it to use the whole drive. The only regret I have is that I can't sell the license key since it's OEM.

I just realized that it's been about a year since I installed Ubuntu! I switched to Xubuntu since.

capnthommo
May 6th, 2009, 10:08 PM
as ever, i run with the pack.
no, it's simple pragmatism - i prefer open source but sometimes you just have to accept that for the moment the world isn't perfect
here's looking to the future
:guitar:
nigel

karellen
May 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
as long as it does the job, I don't care if it's open or closed source

happysmileman
May 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Flash and graphics card drivers.

I actually also have Skype but don't really use it, other than that I think I only use open source.

Dr Small
May 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I prefer to use the free stuff, but I use closed-source stuff if I have to.

Chosen because I use the Nvidia drivers.

Dex73
May 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Most of the time I find that I like the interface of open source and when I don't I don't think it's worth the price when I can just work around the issue. Of course my only OS is Ubuntu so that is often easier as well.

buzzmandt
May 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I use free stuff when it's free. I can go to nvidia and download and install nvidia drivers for free, from them, and everyone is happy. I use app-get or hardware drivers one click because it's easier, but nvidia still gives said driver out for free. (just an example, there are others as well)

I don't use free stuff when it's not free. i.e. photoshop (blackmarket, pirated, etc). If I NEED this program I WILL pay for it because it's not free. (unlike the free nvidia driver).

In a nutshell,
If it's free and I want it, I will use it....
If it's not free and I want it, I will buy it (or not use it)....
I prefer open source but will happily use proprietary if it is free.

I run many games from add/remove, card games, first person shooters, and the like....
I also have diablo 2 installed and play it through wine. I purchased diablo 2 from walmart, installed it with the proper keys. And play it through wine.
I also have neverwinter nights installed, legal purchase from best buy, cd keys installed and run it through the linux installer they provided.

Personally i have no problem with wine, those guys (and gals if so applicable) are pure genius and it has come a long way with hard work. If you build a house out of wood or brick, it's still going to have windows to look out of. They are just figuring out a different way to interpret windows code and translate it to linux. It's an interpreter and nothing more in my opinion.

Thank you for your time

benj1
May 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM
i don't have a problem with closed source apps, i will use an open source app tho, if its as good as or better.

i think the only non free stuff i have on my pc are DVD and mp3 codecs and flash.

although i do have an issue with multimedia codecs, why should i have to get closed source (well, technically legally buy) codecs just to watch/listen to stuff ive already bought????

PurposeOfReason
May 6th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I don't mind whether or not my applications are free, I just want to get stuff done.

Also known as "the best tool for the job".