PDA

View Full Version : Why are the fonts on my xp web browsers so crappy?

swoll1980
May 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Every time I have to use my Windows partition, the fonts drive me crazy. When I use my xp version of Firefox the fonts look like something off the Super Nintendo. Why do I here people saying Linux has crappy fonts? My default Linux fonts are very smooth, and aesthetically pleasing. My windows fonts look like they were cut out of a piece of rubber with a stone arrowhead.

Kareeser
May 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 autodetects graphics card capabilities and monitor settings and turns on subpixel smoothing when it is supported, which is most of the time.

Windows has it off by default.

You can turn on "use smooth screen fonts" somewhere in Windows. It's in the Appearances tab of the Display Properties, I think.

pwnst*r
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
mine look great on both.

swoll1980
May 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 autodetects graphics card capabilities and monitor settings and turns on subpixel smoothing when it is supported, which is most of the time.

Windows has it off by default.

You can turn on "use smooth screen fonts" somewhere in Windows. It's in the Appearances tab of the Display Properties, I think.

Sweet! I didn't know their was a way to fix it. I thought that was just the way they were. They look great now. Thanks.