PDA

View Full Version : SSD v HHD durability for laptop/netbook

nachos99
May 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
i was wondering how much consideration i should be giving for the durability of SSD v HHD in a laptop/netbook.

i will be going from a car/suburban life to a city/walking/biking life where my laptop/netbook may take more abuse from being on the go with many more bumps and vibrations.

will HHDs hold up ok as long as i don't drop it, etc? or should i be giving SSD a serious consideration?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mxboy15u
May 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
My netbook has a standard hard drive and no issues yet...knock on wood...it goes everywhere with me too.

skymera
May 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
HDDs are fairly solid. Though if you do happen to have a big bump it does cause a lot of damage. My laptop fell 2ft onto the floor and had to buy a new HDD.

If you can sacrifice some GBs go SSD

bashveank
May 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I abuse the HDD in my laptop quite a bit. Carrying it in a backpack that I unceremoniously drop to the floor, swinging it around for apps that use the sudden jolt sensor to make a lightsaber sound, holding it every which way so that I'm comfortable when laying on the couch..... And it's fine so far.
An SSD would be obviously more reliable though. And it's a pretty amazing feel to pick up a laptop with no moving parts - one thing you don't realize until you use an SSD, you can feel the centripetal force of your HDD spinning, and it's pretty annoying.

t0p
May 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Durability of the SSD is a wondrous thing. I've dropped my eeepc more times than I care to say, but it's still chugging on. Great.

But you might want to consider the fact that SSDs can't take as many writes as a conventional HDD. Wisdom has it that a location on a SSD can be written to so many times then no more. However, no one yet knows how many writes the limit might be. So maybe it's not worth worrying about. I don't.

gn2
May 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
But you might want to consider the fact that SSDs can't take as many writes as a conventional HDD.

But the motors and or bearings in the HDD will fail first.
SSDs should outlast the people who buy them.

hessiess
May 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
But the motors and or bearings in the HDD will fail first.
SSDs should outlast the people who buy them.

The same thing was said of CD/ROM, which are very easy to damage, and writable ones can become unreadable in a matter of a few years. SSD is still a new technology, it will have issues which have not yet bean discovered,.