PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Do I or Don't I?

simon dew
May 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I have a 7 series Asus Eee that has a 4 gig flash drive as hard drive. It is happily running 8.04 Xubuntu without issue although I did require a modified kernel to get the wireless card to work.

Three questions occur:
1. Will Jaunty fit on my hard drive with enough space for upgrades?
2. Wll it stuff up my wireless settings?
3. Should I just be happy with my current version and leave well alone?

All input gratefullt recieved.
Cheers
Simon

zvacet
May 6th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I think Jaunty will fit but if you are happy with hardy I don't see reason to upgrade.

EDIT: You will have to upgrade like this: Hardy>Intrepid>Juaunty,because you can not skip versions to upgrade.That will mean that you have to do fresh install.Maybe Hardy is better solution,but that is just my opinion.

simon dew
May 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM
arh I've gaffed. It's 8.10 that I currently have installed. I tried the automatic update button but it said there wasn't enough disk space to do the update. I've down loaded the Jaunty onto a 16 gig flash card that I have and am trying to work out how to start it going. Still stuck in the windows .exe file frame of mind. It is an .iso file which I believe I have to make into a live cd but as tis computer has no cd drive the section of Brasero is grayed out where it selects the drive to write to.

Can I use another ap or can this be over ridden to make it write a live cd to a data stick or flash card?

S.

simon dew
May 8th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I managed to install jaunty on a flash card which was very interesting and allowed me to run the two os's as an A-B.
There are probably many security and progrming advantages that I can't see but I have to say that the Janty system seems to have a nasty habit of hanging for long periods and things like the volume control less user friendly.I imagine the hanging could be due to the fact that I have installed it on a removable storage device but I think for now I'll stick with 8.10 as it seems no less user friendly and I can't see any real avantage in the upgrade. I'd love to be told why I am wrong.

Simon

DJYoshaBYD
May 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
just because its new, does NOT mean you need to download it.. people haphelplessly download new version of stuff without even knowing why, hose their system, and then blame it on the os... lol

dont fix it if its not broke.. id be happy staying with 8.04 LTS until they come out with another, as they seem to be the most stable...

scottuss
May 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Upgrade, but do a fresh install after backing up your data.

Upgrading is more likely to introduce problems than a fresh install

Therion
May 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I have an Asus eee 1000H right now that had 8.04 on it until just a week or so ago. It now has 9.04 instead (online upgrade). In general things be jiggy; no real complaints, per se, with Jaunty. I have wireless and everything seems to be ticking along pretty well in fact.

But...

For some reason I still get the itch to do a clean install of 8.04 on it (won't go NEAR 8.10 which was a disaster for me on my desktop). I dunno... Seems to me 8.04 hit a real sweet spot somehow. Love 9.04 on my desktop, too, but I have the same itch there though somewhat less intensely.

My point? If you're unsure about what to do, I'd tell you to stay put with Hardy. If you do decide to go with Jaunty DO A FRESH INSTALL.

simon dew
May 8th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have 8.10 running on this machine now and find it brilliant. It did take a bit of setting up as after the first update manager download the wireless disappeared. After finding a specific Eeepc kernel on this forum I haven't had a problem. This 7.10 Asus Eee came with XP installed and with the service pack 3 upgrade became to full to function (it only has a 4 gig flash memory HD) On Xubuntu its become my favourite computing tool.