PDA

View Full Version : Things that bug me...

Fedup
January 10th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Ok, I've been using Linux (Kubuntu) on and off for a while now and gradually getting used to it, currently running Dapper and having fun.
There are, however, a few things that really bug me about linux in general:

Display Speed - lack off.
I have a rather old GForce4 MX440, and even using the NVidia drivers with RenderAccel on the resizing windows is so slow you can almost see it redraw. So far, this seems to be a Linux 'feature' in that all disto's I've used on different hardware suffer from this issue. Is there anyway to speed things up? Obviously a better graphic card would help - but would be it a significant difference?
Audio .. sounds awful.
In comparison to Windows, the same hardware on Linux always sounds distorted and seemingly over loud. Running with volumes at about 80% is about right, any louder and it crackles. This maybe just by bad luck with sound hardware (cheap stuff) - but again, is this just 'normal' for Linux?

:???:

briancurtin
January 10th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Display Speed - lack off.
I have a rather old GForce4 MX440
problem

better graphic card
solution

Audio .. sounds awful.
...is this just 'normal' for Linux?
with some tinkering you can clean it up, but the problem lies with the makers of the soundcards. if they dont release information, you cant get the most out of something you dont know about. not only is the quality a problem, sometimes people cant even get their cards to work, and this isnt a linux problem, its a driver problem because companies dont release the things we need to make it all work

prizrak
January 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Also Drake is in beta stage so it's gonna have quirks. Not to say that the final will be bug free but you kinda have to expect issues with test releases.