PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 errors

triunenature
May 6th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I've been happly using 8.10 for a while with no issues... i upgrade to 9.04 and I'm having MAJOR issues.

Im going to list a few, and maybe some of you have found work arounds already.

Fixed
Top right hand corner of a window, the minimise, maximise, and close buttons are mising.

Fixed:
Im duel booting and when i click to access my windows drive (listed as 97.5 gig media , all the windows close and it gives me an error message that reads
Cannot mount the volume
Detals:
Cannot get volume.fstype.alternative

(Note in 8.10 if i didn't shutdown windows correctly i would get an error message, not this one, a different one, but all i would have to do, is load windows and then shutdown windows properly. - for grins and gigles i loaded and shutdown windows to see if that was the problem, and it wasn't)

Also my background was deleted and replaced by a new one, now that i fixed... but still

Fixed:
Grub not correct. The top option is 8.10 yet when i load it, its 9.04

Actually grub wasn't effected by upgrade at all, none of the options have changed. Even though i have customised grub. (one would thing it would update grub, even create a new grub and deleting the old... which would have been fine... even expected, then i could go back in there and recustomize it)

Fixed:
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

When i do things in sudo such as

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Added:
Sound not working. Only sound that works is the sound upon my login.
Youtube.com and Pandora wont play sound.

.OGV files not playing either. -Get error message

If anyone has a workaround for any of these problems let me know please!! Thank YOu

exutable
May 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
the problem with the minimize, maximize and close are probably something to do with your current theme

the issue with the windows drive is a bug that occurs in jaunty and is thought to be a duplicate of this bug which has a fix, try it and see if it works

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-3g/+bug/300443

as for the 8.04 thing, you can just edit the menu by typing in

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

triunenature
May 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM
the problem with the minimize, maximize and close are probably something to do with your current theme

the issue with the windows drive is a bug that occurs in jaunty and is thought to be a duplicate of this bug which has a fix, try it and see if it works

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-3g/+bug/300443

as for the 8.04 thing, you can just edit the menu by typing in

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Thanks for the reply.

Ok, i got the windows drive working.

Changed Theme, didn't help the situation.
So, i change the theme everything changes exept the minimise, maximise, and close buttons are still missing
- Also, if i move my mouse where the buttons should be, and click, it works... so the commands are still there, just the buttons aren't showing up

Ok, Fixed Grub
sudo update-grub

triunenature
May 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Would:

sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic

fix the minimise, maximise, and close buttons? or am i going in the wrong direction?

jualin
May 6th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Would:

sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic

fix the minimise, maximise, and close buttons? or am i going in the wrong direction?

That's the kernel image, that shouldn't solve your problem. Go to system, appearance and try changing the theme. Hope this helps!

jualin
May 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Also try pressing Alt-F2 and typying
metacity --replace And if you have compiz then
emerald --replace

triunenature
May 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Ok, i got the windows drive working.

Changed Theme, didn't help the situation.
So, i change the theme everything changes exept the minimise, maximise, and close buttons are still missing
- Also, if i move my mouse where the buttons should be, and click, it works... so the commands are still there, just the buttons aren't showing up

Ok, Fixed Grub
sudo update-grub

That's the kernel image, that shouldn't solve your problem. Go to system, appearance and try changing the theme. Hope this helps!

Tryed that... didn't work.

It change everything else, but doesn't restore my buttons

triunenature
May 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Also try pressing Alt-F2 and typying And if you have compiz then

Wow, that worked, only temporarly. When i restarted my computer, it reverted. I replaced metacity again, and it worked again, but how can i make this replace perminate?

Might i ask what is metacity?

snitko
May 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Here's my couple of bugs:

1. Compiz settings don't work, at least some of them. For example, window effects work the way I set them previously, but changing desktops uses the wrong effect. Changing settings in ccsm works only until the next reboot/logout. I also installed simple-ccsm and I must say that choosing the "Custom" option in "Visual Effects" tab of Appearance window doesn't work - I close the Appearance window and the open it again and radio button remains on "Extra" option. So, I think, this has something to do with gnome.

2. Sound in kde4 apps stopped working, its says there's a wrong device. Gnome sound's okay.

jualin
May 9th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Wow, that worked, only temporarly. When i restarted my computer, it reverted. I replaced metacity again, and it worked again, but how can i make this replace perminate?

Might i ask what is metacity?

Metacity is the Window Manager for Gnome (just like compiz but without the 3D effects). To make the change permanent Go to System, Preferences, Sessions and Add a new one with the command that you wanted, in this case
emerald --replace
You can follow this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/7.04/user-guide/C/prefs-system.html). Hope this helps!