PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get ubuntu portable to ope

smorton
May 6th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Very frustrated. I downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu to my computer. I then extracted the ISO (?). Then I was told to restart my computer which I did. The computer rebooted and prompted my to chose to start in Windows XP or Ubuntu. It then took a while and set up Ubuntu.

I can't locate the program or use it.

Any ideas what I need to do.

Thank you.

sm

rpwdh
May 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM
You selected Ubuntu and it booted into Windows anyway?

Did you select it and then hit "Enter"?

smorton
May 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
It booted into Ubuntu. Then it set up the program. I can't remember what happened next but I can not find it under programs nor can I find a desktop icon.

Thanks

Sm

mprince
May 6th, 2009, 05:10 AM

smorton
May 6th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I did not understand that last reply.

SM

mprince
May 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Sorry, ignore my response. I thought you were talking about a program called wubi. I was not aware that there was a portable version of ubuntu, that could be run from inside windows. It looks interesting-- hope you get it working.

llamabr
May 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I'm not sure we understand the issue. From your dual boot prompt, you can choose either ubuntu or windows, and you pick ubuntu.

Then, what, exactly, happens? What do you expect to happen?

it should do some stuff for a minute or two, and then you get a prompt to enter your user name. Do you ever get that far? If not, what do yo eventually see?

smorton
May 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I am not sure of the issue either. On the dual boot I choose ubuntu. It then appears to be setting up the program.

Do I have to do the "start-go to run and enter a command thing?

Thanks

SM

smorton
May 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Is it better to install portable ubuntu on a flash drive or on your computer?

Thanks

sm