PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Free SSL Certificates?

oxsyn
May 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Currently using self-signed certs for my home server. Wondering if anyone knows of any free, public ssl certificate providers and if so, if there is one they'd recommend.

windependence
May 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I don't believe "free"public certificates exist, but GoDaddy.com has some for about $20 a year. Damn near free.

-Tim

HermanAB
May 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
The lowest price I have seen was $14 somewhere obscure, but I normally use Godaddy myself.

kustomjs
May 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
yes there is a free certs from startssl. http://www.startssl.com/?app=1

"The StartSSL™ Free (Class 1) certificates are domain or email validated and mostly referred to as the free certificates. Because the checks are performed mostly by electronic means, they require only minimal human intervention from our side. The validations are here to make sure, that the subscriber is the owner of the domain name, resp. email account. You may find additional information on this subject in our CA policy.

The StartSSL™ Free certificates are intended for web sites which require protection of privacy and prevent eavesdropping. However information presented within these certificates, except the domain name and email address, are not verified. Should you need higher validated certification, please check out our StartSSL™ Verified (Class 2) certificates.

The StartCom Certification Authority, provides the StartSSL™ Free certificates instantly, without limitations and free of charge under the condition, that the subscriber provides his/her complete, correct personal details and accepts the Subscriber Obligations of the StartCom CA Policy. Secure your web server and mail traffic now by using the Certificate Control Panel. "

right from the website.

and there is also a other one called cacert.org

oxsyn
May 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try out the StartSSL.com certs. :)

sambhogi
December 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Why is StartSSL free?