PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Canon Driver(s) Nightmare! I'm a newbie, please help!

cattykaytee
May 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie to the Linux OS. Sorry if this is long but I'd like to fully explain myself.

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope x86_64 with an AMD 64 processor.
I'm currently going through what some many others are going through and have been through: the nightmare of Canon's lack of drivers for the Linux OS.

I have a Canon Pixma iP1800 printer and a Canoscan 8000F flatbed scanner.

For the flatbed scanner I tried looking for ANY drivers relating to linux, and failed.

For the printer I found a linux .rpm file on canon's Europe website, downloaded it, attempted to convert it to a .deb file with alien, and that didn't work.
I also found .deb files for it on links I found in other threads that also had the same printer problem(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445874). They seemed to have been able to download it successfully but upon opening the package I keep on getting "Error: Wrong Architecture 'i386'". After trying to force the architecture (sudodpkg --force-architecture -i ... .deb) it said I was missing dependecies. So I went to download those and two of them didn't go through because Jaunty has a newer version of the files out.

I'm currently feeling at a total loss. Is there some way (or can someone help me) with installing my Canon printer and scanner onto Ubuntu?

Partyboi2
May 6th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hi, you could try the suggestion in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7144907&postcount=34) thread.

gpgp
May 6th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I had to resort to turboprint to get my canon printers to work, but now they work great. It is reasonably priced software and i was glad to pay it. Sorry i have no suggestions for your scanner.
Turboprint is great for my canon pro9000.

gpgp

cybergalvez
May 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I wish canon would support linux better, I had a really nice canon IP5000 printer, that printed ok, but not great (my kid uses it now for school work) I just got myself an HP printer they have great linux support. I know this doesn't help, just thoght I would throw it out there