PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation hangs after device detection

Roohan
May 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
To anyone with a clue about Linux/Ubuntu (as I do not):

I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit installed on one hard drive in my computer and I would like to install Ubuntu 9.04 64bit to another hard drive which I have already installed in my system. When I boot from CD-ROM with the Ubuntu CD inserted, I select "Install Ubuntu" from the splash screen and the installation proceeds through what appears to be detecting/identifying devices in my system. Then everything stops. I waited at least 10 minutes for more progress to be made, but the last entry in the device detection part of the installation is something to the effect of "squashfs version 3.3." After that entry, there is only a blinking cursor.

Any ideas? Anyone? :confused:

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Does the live environment work?

lisati
May 6th, 2009, 03:24 AM
If you've had Vista 64-bit running on the machine, then chances are you'll be able to get Ubuntu working.

A number of things can confound the installation process, ranging from a bad burn to "unusual" hardware: have you tried the "check CD for defects" option?

Roohan
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 AM
By "live environment" do you mean installing Ubuntu within Windows? If so, I have not tried that option yet.

Roohan
May 6th, 2009, 03:28 AM
lisati:

No I haven't tried the "Check CD for Defects" option yet. I will certainly give it a shot though! :)

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 03:34 AM
By "live environment" do you mean installing Ubuntu within Windows? If so, I have not tried that option yet.

No, I mean when you get that first menu after booting from the install disk. The first option should be "Try Ubuntu without changing your system" or similar. Does that option bring you to a desktop, or does it do the same thing as the Install option?

Roohan
May 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Mikezila:

No, I haven't tried that option yet either. I'll give that a try this evening when I get home.

Roohan
May 7th, 2009, 02:14 AM
:?

Roohan
May 7th, 2009, 02:15 AM
No, I mean when you get that first menu after booting from the install disk. The first option should be "Try Ubuntu without changing your system" or similar. Does that option bring you to a desktop, or does it do the same thing as the Install option?

It behaves the same as the install option, apparently. :(

Roohan
May 7th, 2009, 02:16 AM
If you've had Vista 64-bit running on the machine, then chances are you'll be able to get Ubuntu working.

A number of things can confound the installation process, ranging from a bad burn to "unusual" hardware: have you tried the "check CD for defects" option?

Ok, tried it and it behaves the same as when I tried to initially install.