PDA

View Full Version : Compete with Windows Kid in school

inxygnuu
May 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Hello, I have a friend who recently tried Ubuntu but it would not install correctly, so he went back to Windows. Then he joined a site called Linsux.org, and is obtaining radical views on Windows. He is now trying to annoy me with his radical views, which are something like "I'm a windows man!" or "Linux sucks, and Windows is awesome!" Sadly, I am not very good at comebacks, and I am really waiting for the chance to make a comeback and make my point that neither OS is dominant over the other. We are really good friends, we simply disagree on Operating Systems. I think that all Operating Systems have their ups and downs. he thinks I am a Linux Loser, and "Windows ownz you!!" Can anyone give me anything to say to push him back, and give Linux a stand in my school?

el.norman
May 6th, 2009, 03:05 AM
well most of the time, just using compiz fusion is enough for me to crush them and telling them that linux is no failure OS, plus all of the free software for burning media that is awsome

Catboy~
May 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Ask him how he even managed to screw up an installation of ubuntu, isn't it pretty straightforward? Then you could remind him that linux pretty much doesn't have viruses. :)

.Maleficus.
May 6th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Tell him to agree to disagree. You like what you like, and he likes what he likes, there's nothing wrong with that.

Failing that, tell him to get over himself if he'd ever like to talk to you again. If he's being annoying, let him know.

inxygnuu
May 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Well, I gave him a scratched CD for a school project, (I had to go to Florida) and he installed it while i was gone. He then took a CD from a book he got and it didn't work. I will ask him tomorrow. He has actually told me he is trying to annoy me.

raymondh
May 6th, 2009, 03:12 AM
well most of the time, just using compiz fusion is enough

Yup ... I've seen jaws drop whenever I (nonchalantly) use compiz' bag of tricks.

Have fun. Best is not to pay attention and let your OS do the talking

Catboy~
May 6th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Ah, so he may still be a potential convert...I'll prepare the sacrifice for the initiation ceremony :twisted:

Mr-Biscuit
May 6th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Let him choose what he wants.

Tell him that there are multiple Operating Systems that are free which can do what Windows does but they require work and effort.
Ask him what does he want and tell him that is good for him, not you.

Give him a challenge for every Windows executable that has a Linux equivalent.

After that, just go on with your life and enjoy what you have.

FuturePilot
May 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Tell him to agree to disagree. You like what you like, and he likes what he likes, there's nothing wrong with that.

Failing that, tell him to get over himself if he'd ever like to talk to you again. If he's being annoying, let him know.

+1.
Just tell him to use what works. For him that may be Windows and for you that may be Ubuntu. Use what works and move on. Don't try to insult him back or anything, that will just continue in a downwards spiral.

Bölvaður
May 6th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I know what to do.
You must answer him back! But do not answer his questions or statements. Talk about the weather, football, anime, quake-live, the new iphone, combs, that blond next door....
just talk about anything else than Linux and Windows.... at least in an obvious manner.

pwnst*r
May 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Hello, I have a friend who recently tried Ubuntu but it would not install correctly, so he went back to Windows. Then he joined a site called Linsux.org, and is obtaining radical views on Windows. He is now trying to annoy me with his radical views, which are something like "I'm a windows man!" or "Linux sucks, and Windows is awesome!" Sadly, I am not very good at comebacks, and I am really waiting for the chance to make a comeback and make my point that neither OS is dominant over the other. We are really good friends, we simply disagree on Operating Systems. I think that all Operating Systems have their ups and downs. he thinks I am a Linux Loser, and "Windows ownz you!!" Can anyone give me anything to say to push him back, and give Linux a stand in my school?

so you're in elementary school?

inxygnuu
May 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Okay. sounds like just end it. He had wubi installed, and was slowly turning away, but when he made the switch, everything went wrong. And now that I think back on it, I was the one who told him about Linsux.org, where he is getting these views. I have a plan soon to be executed:twisted:....It all starts when my copy of Sabayon Linux 4.1 KDE is done downloading....no, it am just going to bring it to school, and blow everyone back with compiz, nothing bad:-D:P

inxygnuu
May 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM
so you're in elementary school?

Middle School. I actually know a teacher and a few kids who would switch. Viruses these days....

poundjd
May 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I have to say that I'm worried about your friend, the level of hate, negative abusive emotion is not healthy. if your friend wont stop going there, then I'd consider letting him go as a friend. people who spew this kind of hate are not healthy and the ones who consume it get to the point that they don't realize the negative effect it is having on them. When it gets to the point that a friend is deliberately trying to foster discontent with another friend it is already bad and only going to get worse as time goes on. Get him away from that site or get away from him.
-jeff

MaxIBoy
May 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM
You realize linsux is a parody site, right? It was founded by a Fedora user.

Also, live and let live. This isn't a competition. Whenever I figure out something really cool (like a fast boot time, some new customization, or a crossword-solving shell script,) do a standard, "hey, check this out!" But don't get elitist or turn every conversation/demonstration into a why-linux-is-better tirade.

inxygnuu
May 6th, 2009, 04:28 AM
You realize linsux is a parody site, right? It was founded by a Fedora user.

Also, live and let live. This isn't a competition. Whenever I figure out something really cool (like a fast boot time, some new customization, or a crossword-solving shell script,) do a standard, "hey, check this out!" But don't get elitist or turn every conversation/demonstration into a why-linux-is-better tirade.

Neither do I. I think it will be solved. And yes, I know a little about the site.

ntowakbh
May 6th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Yup ... I've seen jaws drop whenever I (nonchalantly) use compiz' bag of tricks.

I've got a friend, I showed her my laptop, with compiz running and everything. And a few other random things that I do with my spare time when messing with the comp. She was amazed. She had already asked about Linux once before. After she saw compiz, though, she made the comment about letting me mess with her laptop when she buys one of her own. Her sister likes it also. [I'm a high school student.]

As for the issue at hand, I'll go with the others on saying "agree to disagree".

Giant Speck
May 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I think I know which user you are speaking of. He has the same username here on Ubuntu Forums, as well.

Alterax
May 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
My opinion--completely free and worth every penny--is that the kid's just trying to get under your skin. He's tried to install at least twice--and failed. Probably for something beyond his control like unsupported hardware, but he doesn't see it that way. He sees your success at it and his failure with it as something personal.

You're not dealing with rationality here; the only way in his mind he can defend his honor is to attack what he could not accomplish. And since it sounds like you're the de facto Linux spokesperson at your school, he's trying to ridicule you so that he can save face.

When he starts in on you, just ignore the barbs. It can be hard to do, but if you give him a reaction, you give him exactly what he wants. By all means if he's talking polite and not baiting you, talk to him about anything. When he starts baiting you, try empathizing--"Maybe it needs a little more work" can be both honest and a bridge-builder.

He may try to use that as a launchpad for more attacks, and if he does, tell him that you respect his right to think like that--and that you happen to like it just fine. Then WALK AWAY. Don't let him bait you or try to make you feel inferior, even if--dare I say especially if--he's being an absolute jerk. The point is not to let it escalate. Defuse it if you can, and if you can't, you're doing nobody (including yourself) any good by sticking around and letting him try to humiliate you. You may have a purpose in life; I can guarantee you it's NOT to be a doormat or a punching bag.

My dad always told me that "if you have to flex 'em, you ain't got 'em." You don't have to defend Linux; it stands up very well on its own virtues.

Eisenwinter
May 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM
From the famous Evolution of a Linux user:

STAGE 3. BORN-AGAIN MICROSERF

"Linux sucks" is your new attitude towards life. Windows, all things
considered, ain't so bad. You resolve to become a better Microsoft
customer by participating in the Microsoft Developer Network and the Site
Builder Network. You buy a bunch of "study guides" to pass the MCSE
examination.

You launch a Windows advocacy site on some dinky free webpage provider,
utilizing the latest innovations in VBScript, ActiveX, and other
IE-specific features. Instead of lurking, you now actively participate
in Linux and Macintosh bashing on various Usenet groups. Upon discovering
Slashdot for the first time, you assume the role of the ******* Anonymous
Coward From Hell by posting countless flamebait posts about how cool
Microsoft is and how much "Linsux" (as you call it) is a crappy OS.

You proudly wear an "All Hail Chairman Bill" T-shirt and display numerous
pro-Microsoft bumper stickers ("Honk if you hate anti-trust laws") on your
car. You never leave home without your Windows CE-based palmtop computer.
You make a pilgrimage to Redmond to marvel at the glory that is the
Microsoft Campus.

http://www.botcyb.org/2008/12/evolution-of-linux-user.html

inxygnuu
May 8th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I think I know which user you are speaking of. He has the same username here on Ubuntu Forums, as well.

can you tell me who you are talking about?

NFblaze
May 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Have fun. Best is not to pay attention and let your OS do the talking

What bag of tricks does compiz has?
what is compiz-fusion? Is it diff from Compiz?

-------------------

Anyway let the kid that if he couldnt get an installation right, maybe he's just not the brightest crayola in the box......

Glucklich
May 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM
What bag of tricks does compiz has?
what is compiz-fusion? Is it diff from Compiz?

Compiz-fusion is compiz. The bag of tricks is the interface that allows you to configure it. Just write in your console:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

At least, that's the way I remember it. It adds an option to the system menu where you can configure every aspect of the effects. You even can make it rain on the desktop. I don't use effects but I gotta admit, that is pretty cool. I even had a nature like wallpaper when I tested it. It was sweeeeeet.

BslBryan
May 8th, 2009, 04:04 AM
can you tell me who you are talking about?

I'm sure he's thinking of the user, linsux.

It's not him, though, as linsux himself posted that he was over the age of 38.

Johnkozz
May 8th, 2009, 04:06 AM
just start calling it M$ instead of MS..... or MicroSuxs... what what ever little name calling you feel like doing...

This is a personal side note, but almost as annoyed with Apple users as I am with Flaming Windows users..... But that's another issue...

Just remember kid, if you get in a fight your already half way to getting kicked in the balls, might as well get them first.... :P

NFblaze
May 8th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Compiz-fusion is compiz. The bag of tricks is the interface that allows you to configure it. Just write in your console:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

At least, that's the way I remember it. It adds an option to the system menu where you can configure every aspect of the effects. You even can make it rain on the desktop. I don't use effects but I gotta admit, that is pretty cool. I even had a nature like wallpaper when I tested it. It was sweeeeeet.

Oh ok thanks thats very informative.

pbrugs
May 8th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Tell him that nobody has to choose because there is a magical entity named "disk Partitions"!!!!!!!

raymondh
May 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Oh ok thanks thats very informative.

NFBlaze ... have a look at forlong's blog

http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/2008/4/26/How-to-set-up-Compiz-Fusion-074

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Then he joined a site called Linsux.org, and is obtaining radical views on Windows.

I'd say :
1) ignore his remarks, but try to respect him nevertheless.
2) spend your time on learning more Linux, be part of the Linux community, and help others who are really interested in Linux.

Calmatory
May 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Why do you need OTHERS to help you with your problems? It is YOUR problem if you can not convince him to Linux for obvious reasons, he has reason to hate Linux, a valid one.

What I hate the most around here are kids like the OP; "Help me to convince Linux is better than Windows", the guy does not know why Linux is better, yet he still is hardcore fan.

Screw you posers.

billgoldberg
May 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM

http://gizmodo.com/373779/linux-last-man-standing-in-pwn-2-own-thunderdome

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Linsux.org seems to have no regard for manners in their posts! Let the vulgar people feed off each other in their little 'website'. Join the throng of us mild mannered, intelligent people here on Ubuntu forums.

At any rate. If he likes Windows that much, if he has Xp tell him he can choke on his bloated page file, and if he has Vista, tell him he needs to get a job to pay for his own $1700 computer that can run it.

:)

I would think the right thing to do is acknowledge his cookie cutter OS, and tell him that he is missing out.

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Linsux is a troll website. It's not meant to be taken completely seriously. I feel really bad for those that do take it serously.

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
That is what I assumed. It was too much to call the Linux talk section "To talk about how much Linux sucks". Sounds like a big joke to me.

Calmatory
May 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Linsux.org seems to have no regard for manners in their posts! Let the vulgar people feed off each other in their little 'website'. Join the throng of us mild mannered, intelligent people here on Ubuntu forums.

At any rate. If he likes Windows that much, if he has Xp tell him he can choke on his bloated page file, and if he has Vista, tell him he needs to get a job to pay for his own $1700 computer that can run it.

:)

I would think the right thing to do is acknowledge his cookie cutter OS, and tell him that he is missing out.

If he is happy with what he has, why to fight him? Why do you want everyone to use Linux? Not a holy savior, not at all.

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM
That is what I assumed. It was too much to call the Linux talk section "To talk about how much Linux sucks". Sounds like a big joke to me.

Try telling that to the Linux fanboys that join Linsux just to troll it.

geoken
May 8th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I never understood all the "help me argue against....." posts. I always figured that if you're doing something that required you to make an informed decision (as switching to Linux does) you would have no problem justifying your reasoning.

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
ask him how much his copy of windows cost....then ask him why he uses an os made by dummies for dummmies :P

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
lets all make accounts at that website and go spy on them. and then comeback here and post all the mean things they say :(

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 03:35 PM
lets all make accounts at that website and go spy on them. and then comeback here and post all the mean things they say :(

And exactly what purpose would that serve?

Calmatory
May 8th, 2009, 03:45 PM
ask him how much his copy of windows cost....then ask him why he uses an os made by dummies for dummmies :P

Because he likes to use it, duh? Because it works. Because it can do what he wants to do with it.

Try gaming with Ubuntu, wine is not an option as EVERYTHING has more or less bugs when ran via Wine.

Maybe NOW you will understand. :P

Chemical Imbalance
May 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
"suum cuique"...

To each his own. :cool:

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Because he likes to use it, duh? Because it works. Because it can do what he wants to do with it.

Try gaming with Ubuntu, wine is not an option as EVERYTHING has more or less bugs when ran via Wine.

Perhaps you will understand that there are organizations such as Microsoft and Apple that are seriously pondering how they can cut our support for such things and leave it to themselves. That in itself is enough not to use their systems.

Wine is a bit of a miracle that it works at all, and frankly I am impressed. I am sorry to say that if designers refuse to make games for Linux in the future, I simply will not game.

I believe that all types of systems have their place, and their users. I prefer freedom, and Linux is the closest shot I have at both freedom and functionality. So I use it.

reprobus
May 8th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hit this kid with a remote access trojan, scare him a little, don't do any damage then explain to him how it happened and why windows is an easy target and Linux is not.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hit this kid with a remote access trojan, scare him a little, don't do any damage then explain to him how it happened and why windows is an easy target and Linux is not.

wow, that's a _GREAT_ idea!!! way to show other communities how responsible we are! i vote you for mod!

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM

I'm just going to come out and say that your idea is f'ing retarded.

reprobus
May 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Well to each their own opinion but if this kid is being a jerk like that guy says then maybe it wouldn't hurt to just ruffle his feathers a bit. Notice I did say to not do any damage, a little prank never hurt anyone. Or better yet, get explicit permission from the guy to demonstrate a RAT so the guy can be shown just how easy it is to take control of a windows box.

wsonar
May 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I understand the point of the linsux guy's but it seems like it would give new users the wrong impression and I know there on the board here also

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 06:42 PM

That site sounds familiar :)

What's his name on Linsux.org?

edit: I should note that I am actually the admin from that site.

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 06:50 PM
That site sounds familiar :)

What's his name on Linsux.org?

edit: I should note that I am actually the admin from that site.

It's not blatantly obvious who it is?

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Apparently not.

I'm sure he's thinking of the user, linsux.

It's not him, though, as linsux himself posted that he was over the age of 38.

albinootje
May 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Imagine the day that Mr.Shuttleworth would pay us, Ubuntu users, to go to MS-Windows forums as users winsux-1, winsux-2, winsux-3, promoting the website winsux.co.uk, and write comment with remarks like "There's no reason to install Windows, that person deserves to have Ubuntu installed".

Is it a dream or a nightmare ? :( :| :)

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Imagine the day that Mr.Shuttleworth would pay us, Ubuntu users, to go to MS-Windows forums as users winsux-1, winsux-2, winsux-3, promoting the website winsux.co.uk, and write comment with remarks like "There's no reason to install Windows, that person deserves to have Ubuntu installed".

Couldn't it be both?

Giant Speck
May 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM

Could you please link me to an example of the opposite?

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
**grabs popcorn**

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Perhaps you should both leave the topic be. There's no point in ruining a friendship over an Operating System, right?

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 08:05 PM

if you want to game...'duh', buy a console. thats kinda what they are made for. duh. which cost more...winddows or an xbox 360????? yea, they are the same price.

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
And exactly what purpose would that serve?

sometimes things dont have to serve a purpose. they are just done for fun.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
if you want to game...'duh', buy a console. thats kinda what they are made for. duh. which cost more...winddows or an xbox 360????? yea, they are the same price.

you must not be a fan of FPS

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
you must not be a fan of FPS

Or great graphics. Mice and keyboards rule when it comes to FPS.

MaxIBoy
May 8th, 2009, 08:15 PM
if you want to game...'duh', buy a console. thats kinda what they are made for. duh. which cost more...winddows or an xbox 360????? yea, they are the same price.You're not really a serious gamer, are you?

Came consoles are perpetually obsolete because they use technology recycled from the high-end PC market. My PC could trounce the crap out of a 360 and trade blows with a PS3, and it cost less. I can customize my PC, and I can actually mod the games I play. Also, I can't stand those stupid joysticks. Finally, I don't want to buy two machines, one for gaming and one for everything else, when I can just by one for both tasks at a much more-reasonable price.

Happily gaming on Linux, where modchips are legal!

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You're not really a serious gamer, are you?

Came consoles are perpetually obsolete because they use technology recycled from the high-end PC market. My PC could trounce the crap out of a 360 and trade blows with a PS3, and it cost less. I can customize my PC, and I can actually mod the games I play. Also, I can't stand those stupid joysticks. Finally, I don't want to buy two machines, one for gaming and one for everything else, when I can just by one for both tasks at a much more-reasonable price.

Happily gaming on Linux, where modchips are legal!

i apologize. i may have gotten in over my head with dissing the gamers. forgot where i was at. :o

nathang1392
May 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM
how much better would a gaming pc be than....say a 360? enough to notice or is it just better in numbers?

linsux
May 8th, 2009, 08:40 PM
how much better would a gaming pc be than....say a 360? enough to notice or is it just better in numbers?

PC games will always have better graphics. The reason for this is because the life-span of a console is around 4 to 5 years (10 to 12 for Sony). So an Xbox is basically comparable to a 2006 era PC. The PS3 can produce better graphics than a 360.

Google for the fallout 3 comparisons between PC and 360.

pwnst*r
May 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
also, accuracy with a k/b and mouse is far superior (IMO and many gamers) to any hand held controller.

Luggy
May 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't bother.

He's your friend and from what you say, he is only doing this to annoy you.

If you keep trying to one-up each other you are just going to get angry at each other and hurt the friendship.

Most of my friends are Windows users, and while there is usually a little bit of ribbing about each others operating systems we don't get carried away with it.

dpb10538
May 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM

I'm always amazed how the average person throws in the towel as soon as the going gets a little tough. Fortunately there are those who will slog through the tough stuff long enough to gain true understanding of a subject and make it easy, even trivial, to those who follow. I once thought what a different world we would live in if Isaac Newton had a calculator or computer. Where would we be now? The fact is that our technologies would probably be a hundred years in the past. When I was learning Taylor Series in calculus to determine sine and cosine, a fellow student one day asked the professor why we should be wasting our time on this when all he had to do is press the sin or cos button on his calculator. The professor answered appropriately, "how do you think the calculator gets that answer?"
My point is there are people that need to learn, and make wonderful things out of their findings. Most people I have known, like your friend, are doomed to "use the tool" they have been given. If someone doesn't give them a tool, the problem can't be solved. Your friend is the least likely tool inventor you know! On the other hand, you are the type of person that will look at a problem and invent a solution. Windows is good for your friend. Let it go. You keep moving forward and learning new things. We'll tally up at the finish line!

Swagman
May 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Kill him stone dead.

Say to him in front of his mates...

"It must suck, "HARD" to be such a failure"?

He will undoubtedly say "Whaaaaaaat" ?

You figure out what your reply to that will be.. as only you know your (ex) mate !!

Jive Turkey
May 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM
My advice is to drop the emotional investment in one over the other. There are things in life that are way more important than loyalty to a product. Your "friend" wouldn't be trying to annoy you if you weren't freaking out about it. It just wouldn't be fun for him. You'll likely learn that he's an unsophisticated jerk in the future too.

Consider the difference between these two hypothetical situations:

Wrong
jerk: "Hey linux boy, why are you using linux? It sucks!"

inxygnuu: "No its not, linux is better!"

jerk: "Yeah right, why don't you go spend the weekend compiling your kernel while I play games and enjoy software that works."

inxygnuu: "...":(

Right
jerk: "Oooh, is that buggy-*** ubuntu? I'm a Windows man!"

inxygnuu: "What?, Hey you have some cheese or something on your cheek there" <directs eyes @ jerk's cheek while pointing to own cheek with eyebrows down and squinting>

jerk: <wiping cheek> "Did I get it?"

inxygnuu: "No, higher."

jerk: "How about now?"

inxygnuu: "Nevermind, hey <name of hot chick you both know> told so and so she thinks you're cute."

jerk: "Really?"

inxygnuu: "Of course not, you are a dork! Hey I put windows 7 64bit on my PC last night..."

jerk: "So now you see the light huh?"

inxygnuu: "Yeah, it was ok, but then I got a call from the year 1972, they wanted their fugly command line back. Speaking of command line check this out." <gets on jerk's keyboard enters malicious windows command that takes down the OS>

jerk: "wtf! Hey you just hosed my laptop!"

inxygnuu: "Whoa, were you running as administrator? That wasn't very smart!" <runs away>
In other words you're not going to win by defending linux against this guy, he's a hater and its fun for him to be that way.

You should seriously try the win7 RC btw. It rocks!

Jive Turkey
May 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM
You could also take the approach of asking him to help you install windows. Then divulge that you just need him to babysit the reboot/update cycle for several days until it's up to date.

Name change
May 8th, 2009, 10:38 PM

Sorry to say this but here it goes: LOL!

Why do you care so much about what other people think about OS you're using.
One of my best friends is avid Windows fan and I can still talk to him about Linux. And even when he's complaining about slowness of his computer etc. I still don't say you should try Linux. It's his choice.
Another friend of my is quite interested in Linux and said that he's thinking of trying LFS (Linux from Scratch). So I advise him on his Linux woes. I persuade him not to try LFS (which in retrospect was a bad move)
and advise him to try some easier Linux first eg. Ubuntu.
He tried Fedora and SuSE and had problems with both Fedora (rpm hell, installing Fedora for hours...) and still has troubles with SuSE.
So I'm trying to persuade him to try Arch which is somewhere in between LFS and Ubuntu etc.
And above all even though he said at first that he prefers KDE over Gnome he is now more for Gnome than KDE, but does that force me to deal with him?
When he said that now even Linus switched to Gnome I just blame it on Fedora just like KDE devs did :D.
So anyway let him use whatever he prefers.
And if he trolls it's because of your reaction to it and probably because you "made" him switch. So just don't give him satisfaction in trolling and it will stop.
Or even better join in the fun :D.
You can be a fan a Linux and still make fun of it, that's the highest point of "fandom". That's why Monty Pythons made fun from history (middle ages) and philosophy, because they held both this and other topics dearly.
And when you really like something you can joke about it and even make fun from it.
(hey most Linsux users, including me, are Linux users anyway)

Corelogik
May 8th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I got over the "mine is bigger/better than yours" mentality a long time ago. I suggest you do the same.

baseface
May 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
jesus christ, how old are you?
kick him in the nuts and move on.

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 12:00 AM
linux is fo gangsters. tell em he aint a gangsta. that'll shut him up.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM
linux is fo gangsters. tell em he aint a gangsta. that'll shut him up.

=\

dpb10538
May 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Here’s one of the best reasons for migrating to Linux from Windows. It’s difficult to say if Linux has not been an effective target of viruses because it is open sourced, subject to endless user scrutiny, or because virus makers tend to promulgate amongst the greatest user groups, e.g. Windows. Nonetheless, the Windows OS is infested with thousands of viruses, and Linux is not. Your friend has taken the easy path and will have to be ever vigilant of this threat. In all honesty, I think there is room for both OS’s. I’m just trying to stay as far away as I can from the tyrannical clutches of the wicked money changers at Microsoft. I’m not a mainstream sort of person! Not that I mind paying a fair price for a fair product, but MS is constantly changing their platform or obsolescing their product forcing a repurchase. I can see that for a restaurant, but not for my computer. When the day comes that 99% of the Windows systems go down due to a clever virus, invite your friend over to enjoy the internet!

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Here’s one of the best reasons for migrating to Linux from Windows. It’s difficult to say if Linux has not been an effective target of viruses because it is open sourced, subject to endless user scrutiny, or because virus makers tend to promulgate amongst the greatest user groups, e.g. Windows. Nonetheless, the Windows OS is infested with thousands of viruses, and Linux is not. Your friend has taken the easy path and will have to be ever vigilant of this threat. In all honesty, I think there is room for both OS’s. I’m just trying to stay as far away as I can from the tyrannical clutches of the wicked money changers at Microsoft. I’m not a mainstream sort of person! Not that I mind paying a fair price for a fair product, but MS is constantly changing their platform or obsolescing their product forcing a repurchase. I can see that for a restaurant, but not for my computer. When the day comes that 99% of the Windows systems go down due to a clever virus, invite your friend over to enjoy the internet!

could that really happen. i mean a virus kill all windows users but linux be spared? that would be the coolest thing to ever happen. people would be buying live cds so quickly that they couldnt be supplied lol.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
could that really happen. i mean a virus kill all windows users but linux be spared? that would be the coolest thing to ever happen. people would be buying live cds so quickly that they couldnt be supplied lol.

who buys live cd's? you?

albinootje
May 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
who buys live cd's? you?
Years ago I bought Linux cdroms from InfoMagic, and this one
http://shop.cheapbytes.com/ is around since many years.

I can imagine there are countries where internet access is not a daily slice of bread, and Ubuntu might be the only Linux distribution giving away cdroms :)

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Years ago I bought Linux cdroms from InfoMagic, and this one
http://shop.cheapbytes.com/ is around since many years.

I can imagine there are countries where internet access is not a daily slice of bread, and Ubuntu might be the only Linux distribution giving away cdroms :)

so a rarity.

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 02:32 AM
who buys live cd's? you?

no, but really it is worth a couple dollars to save your time of download and the time of burning the iso, and you support at the same time...so i dont think anything is wrong with it.

kilosan
May 9th, 2009, 02:33 AM
You can always reply "Its Free" its the ultimate answer!.

If he says linux sux, you reply, yeah but its free. I can already buy a nice netbook or smartphone for the cost of Vista ultimate.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 02:35 AM
no, but really it is worth a couple dollars to save your time of download and the time of burning the iso, and you support at the same time...so i dont think anything is wrong with it.

save time downloading? really? how much time does it take to download an iso? no more than 10 mins for me. may as well use the bandwidth i pay for.

p.s. never said anything was wrong with paying for it. dialup users only.

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 03:34 AM
welp. i dont have dialup, but i dont have connection on steroids either. and it takes a clean 2 hours to download a 600 mb iso. i dont think linux would work well having dial up considering the amount of stuff that you have to download.

kk0sse54
May 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM
welp. i dont have dialup, but i dont have connection on steroids either. and it takes a clean 2 hours to download a 600 mb iso.

I'm on dsl, 3 hours on a good day and 2 hours if I'm really lucky :)

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I'm on dsl, 3 hours on a good day and 2 hours if I'm really lucky :)

what kind of internet does the guy talking about 10 mins have?

Ambly
May 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
This is really stupid!
You need help to argue???

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 06:47 AM
what kind of internet does the guy talking about 10 mins have?

fios :)

Giant Speck
May 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I wish FiOS was available in my area. :(

I imagine that even if it was, it'd be hellaciously expensive.

MikeTheC
May 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Sorry I didn't post earlier, but it took some digging to find what I was looking for.

The moment I first laid eyes on this thread, I remembered this video:

Videosift.com: MacIntosh Jr. (http://www.videosift.com/video/MacIntosh-Jr-The-power-to-CRUSH-the-other-kids-SNL-skit)

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM

not trying to get personal, but how much does that cost?

t0p
May 9th, 2009, 09:43 PM
If he says linux sux, you reply, yeah but its free.

That is so not a witty comeback. "Yeah linux sucks, but it's free. So it's free crap." That's really gonna put the ******* fanboy in his place!

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
not trying to get personal, but how much does that cost?

well, i have the 'net, tv, and phone bundle. it's pushing about $150/month.

nathang1392
May 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
well, i have the 'net, tv, and phone bundle. it's pushing about $150/month.

thats not bad at all.

pwnst*r
May 9th, 2009, 10:49 PM
thats not bad at all.

i think it's almost a bargain really. almost.

tubezninja
May 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Well to each their own opinion but if this kid is being a jerk like that guy says then maybe it wouldn't hurt to just ruffle his feathers a bit.

Yes, the kid IS being a jerk. And it's a a bit pathetic, IMO, to identify so much with a specific operating system that you have to base common conversation with others on how much it "pwns" other OSes. That goes for all OSes, not just windows, not just linux, not just mac.

That said, stooping to the same level is bad enough. Stooping below his level and trying to hack his computer, even if it's supposed to be innocuous, is worse.

I use what I use, and it's enough most times to impress those who watch me do it. To me that's the best form of advocating for an OS, not preaching or trying to find good comebacks.

So you like Windows and like to bash linux? Oh, good for you. Watch me not care.

linsux
May 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM
i think it's almost a bargain really. almost.

Well, this thread got boring quick.

pwnst*r
May 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Well, this thread got boring quick.

i suggest clicking elsewhere.

*hint* you use your mouse.

Giant Speck
May 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
i suggest clicking elsewhere.

*hint* you use your mouse.

I am clicking, but all I'm getting is this weird popup menu!!!!!

inxygnuu
May 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM
he is done. :) (he got done a week ago, but i thought this thread was dead)

albinootje
May 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM

So.. what happened ? Any details ?

Giant Speck
May 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Where did you bury the body?