PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04 several problems

ubuntu1sttimer
May 6th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Had a working copy of 8.04. Thought with 9.04 out it would be safe to upgrade to 8.10. Did it! Broke both network printer connections. I use a KVM with a Windows machine that is working. 8.10 seemed to be programing the keyboard for a very fast key repeat. With the KVM it affected both 8.10 and the Windows machine. Made it hard to use either OS.

What the ..., might as well go to 9.04. It can't mess things up much more and might fix it. For a day it worked about the same as 8.10. Now when I boot the system I get a desktop without both the upper and lower tool bars. Just the desktop with no control options. Finally tried the old MS Ctl-Alt-Del and that permits me to at least shut the system sown without pulling the plug.

Need to start with getting the tool bars back. Anyone have any ideas.

BTW, the skill level is limited,

zvacet
May 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Maybe this (http://images.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7204911) will work for you.

ubuntu1sttimer
May 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks zvacet. Reloading the Desktop fixed the tool bar problem. Do have the other problems yet.

Now that I can get to them, I may just copy anything important on the system drive to the second drive and then reinstall.

Seems like I have really strange problems with Linux but will keep trying.