PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Differences between Ubuntu (GNOME), Kubuntu and Xubuntu...

nderic77
May 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Is there a comprehensive thread showing the major differences, pros and cons between using GNOME, KDE and X? So far, I have stayed with GNOME, but only because it is the default and seems to be the most supported Desktop Env. What are the major differences between GNOME and the others?

jerrrys
May 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=gnome+vs+kde&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Gnome vs. KDE is the great debate. It's almost pure personal preference. Gnome focuses more on being minimal and streamlined, while KDE goes full-bore with a more (no offense intended) Windows-style approach of having a whole load of options.

A more technical difference is that Gnome uses GTK and KDE uses QT.

Xubuntu uses Xfce, which is more or less intended for older or more restricted systems that have trouble running either Gnome or KDE. There are people that prefer it, even when they can use ther others, but mostly it's used when you have a slower machine, or one with less memory.

The only real way to know which is "better" for you personally is to give them a whirl.

nderic77
May 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Thank you, Mikezila. One quick question: since KDE sounds like the more features-rich environment, does that imply that the default settings for KDE would tend to be more resource-intensive than for GNOME?

nb: when I have time, I plan to reinstall with 64-bit Jaunty, replacing my 32-bit Intrepid system with EXT4 partitions. Initially, will dual-boot 64 and 32 bit variations; hopefully I will be comfortable enough w/ 64 to drop the 32 bit install. I am debating either going with GNOME or KDE for the new install. Prefer not to go too resource-intensive since i run a pretty resource-hogging XP guest on VMWare Server.

mikezila
May 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Thank you, Mikezila. One quick question: since KDE sounds like the more features-rich environment, does that imply that the default settings for KDE would tend to be more resource-intensive than for GNOME?

Not necessarily. On a modern computer the difference in performance will probably be imperceptible.

What I would do if you're curious about this, is just install Kubuntu and try it, and if you don't like it, just wipe it out in favor of Ubuntu. You're already experimenting at this point, and it's best (and safer) to give it a try now than after you've got everything setup like you want it.

spillin_dylan
May 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM
You can actually have them both installed at the same time, too.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

From the login screen there will be a "Select Session" option where you can choose which X session you would like. There are many other window manager & desktop environments to choose from, too, and all can be installed and chosen in this manner.

37fleetwood
May 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
You can actually have them both installed at the same time, too.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

From the login screen there will be a "Select Session" option where you can choose which X session you would like. There are many other window manager & desktop environments to choose from, too, and all can be installed and chosen in this manner.

silly question, what are the chances that this will cause unforseen problems?
my system is working pretty well and I'd hate to mess it up playing around. also will these install through apt?
thanks and sorry for the detour.

joewski
May 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
silly question, what are the chances that this will cause unforseen problems?

The only problem you will have is if you create a new user and you want to have a certain type of desktop. I am asking the question in another thread at the moment.

However you can try different desktops and in between trying a new desktop create a new user. I used desktop1 desktop2 etc for each desktop. By logging into each after installation the new user is given the new desktop layout. It a great way to fell a a desktop is going to fell like natural so to speak.

37fleetwood
May 29th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Ok, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and installed the Kubuntu desktop and the Xubuntu desktop. can the OpenGeu be installed in a similar manner? what would the terminal command look like? are there any others that can be this easily installed? space is not a problem as I'm installed on a 500 gig drive with 400 gig free:)
thanks
Scott