PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RX610 scanner not detected Jaunty 9.04

charonred
May 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
SANE is not detecting the scanner in my brothers Epson RX610 printer/scanner/copier - No Device Found

The scanner just won't work, yet the printer does (as outlined in quote).

How do I get SANE to detect the scanner ?

I setup my brothers rx610 and it wouldn't print in Intrepid.

When I tried the Jaunty live CD it printed, so I installed/upgraded to Jaunty (with printer connected and on).

Once upgrade was complete, I deleted previous rx610 printer, Jaunty then found a 'new printer' and presto it now prints in both Gnome and KDE, as well as XP in VirtualBox.

read last post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7862621&postcount=5

freonchill
May 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
the following are supported by sane
RX-600 USB
RX-700 USB

nothing is said about the 618
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-epson2.5.html

charonred
May 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
thanks freonchill,

I just went there myself; RX600 refers to the whole series I think, so RX610 should work with sane-epson2.

I'll revisit the page when I'm over my brothers next - for the moment he's happy that the printer is now working. I've only just switched him & his PC over to Ubuntu from Windoze XP 2 weeks ago; him and his wife love it already, but the printer/scanner threw a spanner in the works, so once that is fixed they'll be very happy refugees :)

CorosiveFrog
May 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm having the same problem, my all-in-one is an epson stylus CX4450. The printer works, but the scanner isn't detected.

It's kind of a bummer because I am a cartoonist and I have to scan my comic strips to put them online.

charonred
August 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
fixed it; after reading lots of posts and trying some other packages that wouldn't install for various reasons, I thought I'd look in Synaptic Package Manager.

Searched for Sane, then marked 'libsane-extras' for installation and applied it.

libsane-extras package includes some backends that are not yet included into the official SANE distribution. Currently, they are :
* epkowa (some EPSON scanners)
* geniusvp2 (Genius ColorPage-Vivid Pro II)
* hp_rts88xx (HP ScanJet 4400C, HP ScanJet 4470C)
* hp3900 (HP ScanJet 3970C, HP ScanJet 4070, HP ScanJet 4370)
* ls5000 (Nikon LS-5000 ED, Coolscan 5000 ED)

'epkowa' detects the RX610 scanner and lists it as a RX5 flatbed scanner, choose this as it works fine; brother and wife are happily scanning photos and docs now.