PDA

View Full Version : Making happy converts...

lordyosch
May 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I'm a school science teacher by day (masked vigilante/secret agent by night) and after a discussion with a student who was having problems with trojans or viruses on his XP laptop I loaned (turned out, gave...) an Intrepid desktop CD to him to try out.

He quite liked it, but couldn't get some of the web-based Java games to work so he was a bit downhearted about it. Anyhoo, his PC died on him so he got a new one bought for him. I was pleased and surprised when he said he got it with Ubuntu on instead of Windows!

He's now happily 'one of us' and he's even spreading the word to other students. I'm really pleased with this result, the kids are normally closed off to new ideas like this!

Jay

LowSky
May 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
yeah um i dont know about closed off... When I was in school linux was just getting ready for the desktop (circa 1999). Back then our tech teacher got us into it, and it became a hobby for quite a few.

Personally I dont try to make converts. With my friends it always ends up with someone asking to borrow my PC to look something up. Then they realize I dont use Windows, they need a quick tutoring on how to get onto the internet, and usually by then its fine. Once they know where the Firefox icon is they are good to go. out of all my friend s only one other uses Linux as his only OS, but that was because he needed a cheap PC and I sold him my old one. He rather have Windows but he got by on Ubuntu. Sad but true.

gtr32
May 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM
My wife's co-worker has brought me her computers a few times in the past to be fixed. I installed a virus scanner the first time but seems like their laptop got infected despite of that. This time it was bad, cleaning was impossible without destroying the OS. Against my wife's wishes, instead of recovering XP, I backed up the files and installed 8.10 on it. Worked like a charm.

Configured compiz, awn and some other eye candy. Took it for a test drive and her kids LOVE IT. So much as they are wanting the other computer to run Ubuntu as well. For now it's staying as XP though, no need to push it too hard. We'll see how they like it in the long run.

The eye candy is a seller...

Vorian Grey
May 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Most people I know don't even want to talk about using anything but Windows, so I've given up on even trying to convert them. I think I need a new set of friends.

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Most people I know don't even want to talk about using anything but Windows, so I've given up on even trying to convert them. I think I need a new set of friends.

yes segregate your friends by OS.

what a pal.

albinootje
May 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I was pleased and surprised when he said he got it with Ubuntu on instead of Windows!

Awesome! :)

BuffaloX
May 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Both my mother and mother in law are absolutely thrilled with Linux.
They love it, and brag about it to their friends.
They love the philosophy of the GPL and open source in general, and they love not having to worry about viruses, and feel a lot safer with their home-banking.

LowSky
May 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I think it easier to push Ubuntu on a casual users that only use the internet and webmail. Trying to get someone who bought into iTunes, computer games, and Microsoft products are going to be hard to change. Personally I don't even try.

Funny story, me and my friend were at the bar and they started having a computer discussion. Me being the only Tech Nerd there I stayed out of it. It was funny hearing them talk about hating Vista. The conversation then somehow got pushed on me and what I am currently using, I told them I don't even use Windows any more (okay I do but only if really needed). Which made them all think I bought a Mac, which made me laugh, and I told them I use Linux, which shut them up and confused them. A few weeks later I had my Netbook out at a friends house and they all wanted to try it out. They all liked it, even though it was running Ubuntu 8.10 at the time. But still no one has asked me to install it on their machine.

albinootje
May 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I think it easier to push Ubuntu on a casual users that only use the internet and webmail. Trying to get someone who bought into iTunes, computer games, and Microsoft products are going to be hard to change. Personally I don't even try.

Before I help others with Linux I try to listen carefully whether people are really interested in Linux or not, and I also ask them what applications they need to run, what machine they have, how computer-savvy they are, where they are located, and how much possible Linux support they could ge t from friends when they travel back home.

iTunes runs inside VirtualBox, and I don't talk to gamers normally ;-)
Microsoft Office runs pretty well with CrossOverLinux.

Rainstride
May 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
so far I've switched about 4 or 5 people. I usually just ask them if they play a lot of windows games and if they say no I make sure they don't require windows for something like work and go from there. i give them a live cd(and boot it for them the first time, because people are lazy) and go from there. usually if the eye candy doesn't grab them, the idea of not have to deal with malware does.:)

eilu
May 6th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I've converted one after her XP refused to boot. Used a liveCD to recover files, installed Ubuntu, explained some things. But what really sold her was that "It's ORANGE!!!!!" :lol: