PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install encrypted ubuntu in dual boot setup

XCan
May 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Lately, I've seriously been considering to install *nix on my last PC, although in a dual boot setup. My question regards whether or not the dual boot setup will work if I attempt to install ubuntu using the alternate setup cd.

If yes, then are there any tips on how to not break anything?

I was considering to first manually partition my current disk (XP installed) and use the alternate cd to install the encrypted ubuntu on the newely created partition.

Thanks in advance.

dabang
May 5th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Just try to not kill your Windows partition during setup! ;-)
There is no big difference between Desktop and Alternate install. It'll find your Windows installation and add it to grub as usual. If you want encrypted filesystems/volumes, remember to create a separate partition for /boot.

XCan
May 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the quick answer. Good thing you reminded me of the /boot partition. My partition knowledge is a bit rusty, but if I recall correctly, it is enough to only let /boot be a primary partition and / & swap be logical partitions right?

dabang
May 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm not quite sure if /boot needs to be a primary partition, but to avoid trubble, I'd give it a primary one. If you go for encrypted /, /home, swap, etc., it's likely you'll run them as volumes and it doesn't matter which physical partitions build those those volumes.