PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing DSL connection

taurus28
May 5th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Just installed Ubuntu 9.04 without trouble. New user so I am rather floundering. How do I install a DSL connection? It will recognize the disc but when I try to start the install program it says it can't handle it. Can anyone offer some help?

Taurus28

pastalavista
May 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Your disk was made for Windows. You shouldn't need to install anything to connect to DSL. Just set it up with the Network Manager in the upper right panel.

taurus28
May 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thank you. There is no Network Manager showing upper right. Perhaps it is because my screen is not showing full screen. There is about an inch of black on the left side and I don't seem to be able to change it.

Any further instructions would be appreciated.

Taurus28

Kareeser
May 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Assuming your modem is in bridge mode (that is, it allows the computer itself, or a router to handle establishing the link, you'll have to modify the network settings.

Press Alt-F2 and type in "nm-connection-editor". You can set up the DSL connection from there under the "DSL" tab.

taurus28
May 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks: Followed instructions but I got the message "no such file or directory" Any suggestions as to what I do now?

taurus28

Kareeser
May 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Really? That should've been installed automatically.

What version of Ubuntu are you using? (type "lsb-release -a" at the terminal)

If at all possible, try to install that program using apt-get

apt-get install nm-connection-editor

taurus28
May 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks again: My version is Nautilus 2.26.2 . I followed your instructions and got the same results as before. I am likely doing something wrong, but have no idea what. Any added help would be appreciated.

Taurus28

Kareeser
May 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Oh!

Nono, type this into a terminal, and the dialogue should pop up.

Either open the terminal by pressing Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal, or alternatively, "Alt-F2".

Once there, try "nm-connection-editor"

taurus28
May 9th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks again: This time it worked. result is auto etho. One other thing , I don't seem to be able to shut down except by the power button. What am I missing?

Taurus28

taurus28
May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Figured out the shut down problem Ctl Alt Del seems to work.

Still need information on the DSL install though.

Taurus28

Kareeser
May 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
It's not the "result" you're looking for. When you type "nm-connection-editor" in the terminal, you need to also press the "DSL" tab in that window. You can set up your DSL from there.

taurus28
May 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Sorry, I guess I am being a little dense. Perhaps I am not inputting the right info. If I may, let me run through them.

Connection Name what is required?

User Name the name that I sign in with

Service Is this DSL?

Password obvious

When I click on Connect to Server.

Service Type ( My service is 295.dsl) is this what goes in?

Location URi What goes in here?

Perhaps if I do these right I will be all set.

Thanks I appreciate your help.

Taurus28

Kareeser
May 14th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I believe all you need to connect is the username and password. Input those two in their respective boxes, as the ISP has given to you, and try to connect.

Not having done this before, I don't exactly know how Ubuntu handles the connection, but I think you can connect by left-clicking the network icon in the notification area.

taurus28
May 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much Kareeser.

I have finally managed to connect. It was as you said in addition to inputting PPPOE in the Service box. Thanks again I will undoubtably have many more questions before I am familiar with everything.

Taurus28