PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty Evolution Notifications Not Persistant

Zenguy
May 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I know there are a ton of postings regarding the new notification in Jaunty. For the most part, the new notification system is ok by me.

Except for Evolution.

If I am away from my computer, the email notification will be long gone by the time I return. Is there a way to make the notifications persistent, so I see it when I get back to my computer? Alternately, I could revert to the old Evolution notification if there is no solution. (Some instruction on either of these solutions would be appreciated.)

Also, there are other posts that reference a program that will allow the user to customize the notification system, but on my clean install of Jaunty, I could find no such program.

Thanks.

meho_r
May 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
No customizations for now. But, in case of new emails, indicator applet (that little envelope on the notification area) should have a little yellow star on it telling you this way that you have an unread message. Just click on it and see which app has new message (Evolution, Pidgin or other).

Zenguy
May 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
That's odd. I never get an indicator on my panel. (I used to get a small email icon with previous Ubuntu releases.)

Synaptic shows "indicator-applet" is installed though. Does it have to be configured? If so, how?

meho_r
May 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Starts automatically when Pidgin or Evolution is started. I have it in Startup Applications with this entry:

sh -c "sleep 60 && python /usr/share/gnome-panel/add-indicator-applet.py"

And, of course, you can simply add it to any of panels. It will be hidden until you open some of apps that needs its attention.

Zenguy
May 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

This might have been user error. I cleaned up my panel after installing Jaunty and might have accidently deleted that panel app. It might have seemed redundant to have two notification systems at the time.