PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu/kubuntu's focus is shifting too much towards fancy graphics?

mahela007
May 5th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi.. Ive been using ubuntu and kubuntu for about a year now. I feel that KDE and maybe gnome are focusing much too much attention on nice looking graphics. Now this is undoubtedly one of those areas which drag in new users, because after all they have done a very good job of making kubuntu look nice. However I can't help but feel that they are not introducing enough innovative features. Yes, they do keep adding the useful widgets and upgrades but I haven't seen anything really original. Something that will enable ubuntu fans like myself to say "I've got something you aint got!!" to friends who use other OSs. What do you think?
(This is just my humble opinion. There probably is a lot going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of)

Sef
May 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Moved to community cafe. Neither was this a testimonial nor an experience.

=^,^=
May 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Hi.. Ive been using ubuntu and kubuntu for about a year now. I feel that KDE and maybe gnome are focusing much too much attention on nice looking graphics. Now this is undoubtedly one of those areas which drag in new users, because after all they have done a very good job of making kubuntu look nice. However I can't help but feel that they are not introducing enough innovative features. Yes, they do keep adding the useful widgets and upgrades but I haven't seen anything really original. Something that will enable ubuntu fans like myself to say "I've got something you aint got!!" to friends who use other OSs. What do you think?
(This is just my humble opinion. There probably is a lot going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of)

Gnome isnt nice looking!

Kde is nice looking and functional!

CJ Master
May 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Gnome isnt nice looking!

Please please please please please. Do not bring up this YET AGAIN. We do not need a debate on this YET AGAIN.

Too OP's question, I vote no. 9.04 introduced many things behind the scenes. Only reason I don't use it is because they droped support for Ati Radeon Onboard Xpress 200. >.>

SunnyRabbiera
May 6th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Uhh no its not, at least not yet...
KDE4 is just nice looking, but barley functional at this stage

Icehuck
May 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Something that will enable ubuntu fans like myself to say "I've got something you aint got!!"

Why can't you just use what makes you happy and not make it contest based on opinions?

Sef
May 6th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahela007 http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7218726#post7218726)

Gnome isnt nice looking!

Kde is nice looking and functional!Please stay on topic. Address what the OP says without using statements that can be flame bait. Both GNOME and KDE are good desktops. Which one you prefer is preference. I do not want to give a warning or infraction or have to close the thread because of flaming.

chucky chuckaluck
May 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
aside from kubuntu choosing to use kde4.whatever, i'm not sure kubuntu is to be blamed/given credit for what is going on with kde4's development. (the same could be said of (x)ubuntu and their DE's of choice, i suppose.) while there have been some functions that have been temporarily lost in kde4 that were in kde3.?, there are some new innovations i think you're overlooking, like dolphin, dragon, etc. while some feel kde4 was released too early, kde3.5 (is it?) is still available in a number of distros (kdemod3 is still available, for example). given that kde is open source, it makes sense to release it early, rather than late, as there then may be more contributions from outside their own development team.

zenithdave
May 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
No i don't think there is too much. I can never have enough eye candy (is it still called that?) but i'm not a power user just a lover of graphics and music on computers.

Compiz and KDE are both excellent just different.