PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade or Not?

kshane
May 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I have the ATI X-1650 Pro. From what I'm reading, it would appear that upgrading to 9.04 could interfere with gaming (OpenArena, WOP, Saurbraten, etc) and video playback. Given that I am correct, should I wait for the next version of Ubuntu (9.10) or just make sure that the FGLRX doesn't upgrade?

I mostly use my computer for watching videos (mostly online) and 3d FPSs (games). Right now (with 8.10), I am happy with my systems performance, but I would like to stick with the upgrades as they are released.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

muhannadfa
May 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I have the ATI X-1650 Pro. From what I'm reading, it would appear that upgrading to 9.04 could interfere with gaming (OpenArena, WOP, Saurbraten, etc) and video playback. Given that I am correct, should I wait for the next version of Ubuntu (9.10) or just make sure that the FGLRX doesn't upgrade?

I mostly use my computer for watching videos (mostly online) and 3d FPSs (games). Right now (with 8.10), I am happy with my systems performance, but I would like to stick with the upgrades as they are released.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

didn't u hear :

Ubuntu 9.04 - Jaunty Jackalope is out! Crab a copy today..

Mark Phelps
May 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have the ATI X-1650 Pro. ... Given that I am correct, should I wait for the next version of Ubuntu (9.10) or just make sure that the FGLRX doesn't upgrade?

Your card is NOT supported with the current ATI driver (Catalyst 9.4) and the driver that DOES support it (Catalyst 9.3) will not work with the version of Xorg in Jaunty.

So, basically, like so many others of us, you will be relegated to using the Open Source driver in 9.04.

Also, given that AMD/ATI has dropped support for the same cards in MS Windows as well, there is no future driver release to wait for ...

kshane
May 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Your card is NOT supported with the current ATI driver (Catalyst 9.4) and the driver that DOES support it (Catalyst 9.3) will not work with the version of Xorg in Jaunty.

So, basically, like so many others of us, you will be relegated to using the Open Source driver in 9.04.

Also, given that AMD/ATI has dropped support for the same cards in MS Windows as well, there is no future driver release to wait for ...

(My ignorance showing:) So, if I were to upgrade will I be able to play games, such as Saurbraten? I don't care about not being able to use Compiz...