PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Print Server Details

woalmoore
May 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum but it seems to be the best I can find. Here's what I want to find out if Ubuntu (or any other linux build) can do natively:

I oversee a middle school computer lab. It has about 16 computers and one printer. All Windows based (so far). I currently use one of the computers as the "print server" which simply means that's where the printer is connected so it has to be on for anyone else to print...doesn't really do anything with the print jobs but allow them to pass through. What I would like to be able to do is set that computer up so that, when jobs are sent to the printer, the computer (i.e. print server) would hold the jobs until they are released (possibly with a password) to be printed. I would like the ability to view the job details (i.e. number of pages) and, if possible, the contents of the job itself (i.e. graphically) prior to printing. Is there a way to accomplish this with Linux either with or without additional (open source) software?

I've found the information on sharing printers using Linux and sharing them with other linux and/or windows machines...just not anything about exerting control over what passes to the printer.

Thanks.
Brand New...still converting.