PDA

View Full Version : My Univeristy just Ordered 50 Dell XPS M1330 with Ubuntu Pre-Installed

bigbrovar
May 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Ok i work As sysad for African University of Science and Technology (http://www.aust.edu.ng) Abuja Nigeria. we run Ubuntu on all our computers plus the laptops we give out to our students. (the previous laptop had windows vista pre-installed and came with ATI cards we had to install Ubuntu on them which was a pain but thing works more or less and are quite stable. however i just got a mail from my boss that the school just ordered 50 Dell XPS m1330 with ubuntu preinstalled for our new students which is just sweet. Am so excited because i know the decision was made after my boss saw my laptop which its self a dell xps m1330 came pre-installed with ubuntu. We should be taking delivery of the laptops later this month.

Cant wait to lay my hands on them cause am required to have them customized (by installing foss edu and sci programs) i use systemimager which works great but if anyone as a better mass system customization too for linux please let me know

PuddingKnife
May 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Awesome! Way to go :)

Delever
May 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, nice :)

Maybe you can make cd with downloaded packages, or create apt cache server to ease your job installing everything.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sweet!

2% here we come!

How aboutr remastersys, would that do the job?

Orlsend
May 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Sweet!

2% here we come!

How aboutr remastersys, would that do the job?

That works for me, I use remastersys to make my own installer CD's. As soon they are installed they are ready to work.

Dragonbite
May 5th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Cool Beans!

MikeTheC
May 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Glad to hear it! Way to go!

sports fan Matt
May 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Awesome!..Which version did they come pre installed with? I didnt see it in your post?

Wiebelhaus
May 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
That's fantastic! You folks aren't just talking the talk but also walking the walk.

Much Love & Respect.

mxboy15u
May 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Awesome!..Which version did they come pre installed with? I didnt see it in your post?

Speaking of, when is Dell going to get off 8.04? Jaunty is just so much better.

Bölvağur
May 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
man that is sweet, congrats man :D

sports fan Matt
May 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
My bad...:lolflag:...I didnt know they came shipped with the LTS

Rainstride
May 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Ok i work As sysad for African University of Science and Technology (http://www.aust.edu.ng) Abuja Nigeria. we run Ubuntu on all our computers plus the laptops we give out to our students. (the previous laptop had windows vista pre-installed and came with ATI cards we had to install Ubuntu on them which was a pain but thing works more or less and are quite stable. however i just got a mail from my boss that the school just ordered 50 Dell XPS m1330 with ubuntu preinstalled for our new students which is just sweet. Am so excited because i know the decision was made after my boss saw my laptop which its self a dell xps m1330 came pre-installed with ubuntu. We should be taking delivery of the laptops later this month.

Cant wait to lay my hands on them cause am required to have them customized (by installing foss edu and sci programs) i use systemimager which works great but if anyone as a better mass system customization too for linux please let me know

you can customise one then aptoncd to backup the packages, and then open synaptic and then click (under "file") save markings as. and then save the file. that file is a list of all installed programs, so it will install all the same stuff.

Rainstride
May 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM

next lts? (love 9.04!!!)

mihai.ile
May 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
are they coming with nvidia cards? if so be prepared to have some of them returned/repaired because of nvidia cpu failures.
I have one, with nvidia no problems so far, it's a great laptop!!

0per4t0r
May 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Where can I get my hands on one of these Ubuntu XPS laptops in the United States? :) The only ones I've even heard of that came with ubuntu were probably the Dell Mini9, those EEE PCs, and the computers from System76.

mihai.ile
May 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
dell.com/ubuntu or http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

BuffaloX
May 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Cool. 8-)

African University of Science & Technology!
We may even get a couple more good Linux programmers. :D

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, nice :)

Maybe you can make cd with downloaded packages, or create apt cache server to ease your job installing everything.

we already use apt-cacher which as been a life and bandwidth saver.. so far we use systemimager which as been an awesome tool

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM
That works for me, I use remastersys to make my own installer CD's. As soon they are installed they are ready to work.

well like i said earlier from what i have seen from remastersys its very good tool but for enterprise systemimager does a better job when it comes to network install and ability to send patches to systems. nothing compares to it

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM

They came preinstalled with ubuntu 8.04 LTS which is just right because not only is hardy the best version of ubuntu for the laptop (everything just works with hardy) its also the best options as far as enterprise is concerned since stability is considered over new features.

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM

yeah it comes with 8.04.. dell has released an image for jaunty iso . so we would soon be seeing laptops that comes pre-installed with jaunty very soon .. but we would be sticking to LTS for stability

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:12 AM
you can customise one then aptoncd to backup the packages, and then open synaptic and then click (under "file") save markings as. and then save the file. that file is a list of all installed programs, so it will install all the same stuff.

yeah i try to use this to clone the software of our present laptop on the new laptops

bigbrovar
May 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
are they coming with nvidia cards? if so be prepared to have some of them returned/repaired because of nvidia cpu failures.
I have one, with nvidia no problems so far, it's a great laptop!!

thankfully the laptops came with intel gma 965 which runs like liquid on hardy and has no heat issues

Rambar
May 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Im my university they have been installing Ubuntu (WinXP+Ubuntu) on all computers lately. When I enter the computer room I hardly ever see anyone on windows now :P

argie
May 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Are these with Intel graphics or with Nvidia graphics?

Icehuck
May 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Does systemimager support pxe booting? I'm poking around their website but I can't seem to confirm it. Ideally, I would like to be able to boot 50 machines to pxe and then send down the image. I can't tell if it needs a boot disk or not.

bigbrovar
May 8th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Does systemimager support pxe booting? I'm poking around their website but I can't seem to confirm it. Ideally, I would like to be able to boot 50 machines to pxe and then send down the image. I can't tell if it needs a boot disk or not.

It sure does .. systemimager is just what you need. it can be a witch to configure but once setup runs solid. all you will need is one system (golden client) which will be customised to your taste, then sent to a server (image server) which will could be your tftp server. now all you have to do from the 50 machines is select pxe boot and and it will boot the system your customized (golden client) to each of the 50 machine. and because systemimager uses rsync you can also apply patches and make incremental updates to the systems.. it takes from learning but its a great tool

bigbrovar
May 8th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Are these with Intel graphics or with Nvidia graphics?

Intel Graphics

argie
May 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Intel Graphics

That's great. I was going to warn you about the nvidia graphics, but it looks like your university made the right choice.