PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No keyboard, mouse, network, HAL after install

mobrien118
May 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hello,

I had recently posted in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1145490 about a problem I had after upgrading my system.

I am starting a new thread because the old one doesn't really explain what is going on.

Quite simply, if I install Ubuntu off of the alternate CD, when I try to go into an X session, there is no mouse/keyboard/network.

When I install off of the regular LiveCD, I can get in fine UNTIL I run the Update Manager and reboot. Then when it loads (with autologin) the same thing happens.

I Just started getting the error "INTERNAL ERROR: failed to initialize HAL!"

I realize this is very bad and probably why I am having this problem.

The computer is an old Dell Dimension 8300.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--mobrien118

mobrien118
July 10th, 2009, 03:06 AM
OK, This problem is back!

I fixed it last time by installing a "bugfix" new version of HAL from here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/361689

Well, that worked for some time, but now HAL is busted again!

I'm all getting the "Failed to initialize HAL" screen, and have no network, (and the system is remote,so I have to call someone and coach them through starting safe mode then i have to manually initialize X and use VNC).

Can anyone help me diagnose this issue?

Thanks!

--mobrien118

mobrien118
July 27th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Is anyone equipped and knowledgeable, and would really love to help me figure this out?

I have this message in my Xorg:

(EE) config/hal: couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))

Can anyone help me diagnose HAL/DBUS problems? I have an unusual storage situation, that may be causing it.

Could I safely remove HAL? If not, should I try to remove/purge it, then re-install it?

I can't get into the GUI at all, now, but I can have someone (I'm remote to the machine) turn it on and start ssh. This should allow me enough control to try anything out. This is the level of access i have at this moment.

Please! I am getting desperate!

--mobrien118