PDA

View Full Version : i really hate the new GParted

EnGorDiaz
May 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
this is a miny rant for some reasons that i cannot ignore in gparted.

So I decided to resize my partitions on my harddisk yesterday and one thing I have noticed now is that when i use gparted in 9.04 it took me 3 hours to make a 5gig FAT partition, I noticed that in older versions of gparted it was fine all good done 5 mins done and now it takes forever its extremely frustrating and takes a long time especialy for the kind of work i do. i used to recommend gparted to administrators in companys who make partitions on servers but now im seeing myself not. im seeing things going down hill for the project still no implementation of hfs+ and many other partitions that are frequently used its frustrating.

JohnFH
May 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I've also suffered at the hands of GParted recently. Frequent hangs being the main problem. My latest annoyance with it came when it failed to make a standard FAT32 partition and when I tried again, it worked. Not very reliable especially for a disk partitioner is it? Similar things happen on different hardware, so I know it's not the hardware.

GParted has a nice interface but that counts for nothing compared to actually being able to do the job it was created for.

What other GUI partitioners are there? How do they compare?

SupaSonic
May 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Why would you need to make FAT partitions anyway?

calrogman
May 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM

USB sticks, memory cards, MP3 players.

Personally I use cfdisk, or fdisk if cfdisk is unavailable.

bigbrovar
May 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
file a bug maybe?

billgoldberg
May 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You can still use an older version if you don't like the new one.

Polygon
May 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
did gparted update today or very recently? cause when i installed ubuntu it was pretty much the same version....

Idefix82
May 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Isn't that completely beyond the point?

mkvnmtr
May 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have always thought gparted was one of the best linux apps I have used. I have used it off of the gparted disk, off of several live Ubuntu disks and off of the install on my systems. I have not used it in 9.04 yet. I really want to hear more of this. I would bet if there is really a problem it will be fixed guickly.

kpkeerthi
May 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Try gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) or System Rescue CD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page). The version in the repo never gets an update, for 6 months, until the next Ubuntu version is released.

fatality_uk
May 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I am never without a copy of gpartedLiveCD and/or SystemRescueCd.
They are both excelent products and I have had no issues with the latest versions.

Which versions are you using? It seems too long to format a disk so I would suggest supplying the dev team with some feedback as well as posting here.