PDA

View Full Version : Mark Shuttleworth thank you for Ubuntu!!

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM
With all these Microsoft threads appearing in this forum, I would just like to personally thank you and the thousands of developers for giving us Ubuntu.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I second that.

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
This Windows 7 frenzy is doing my head in, so I think its important we create this in appreciation of the people that matter.

wiznillyp
May 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I would like to thank Linus Torvalds or even Dennis Ritchie while we are at it.

And also, I would like to thank whomever designed that wmplayer.exe process in Vista. It reminds me why I use Ubuntu every time I boot into Windows. That POS eats up 100MB of RAM and some CPU (even though I have never used Windows Media Player on this PC)

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM
4 Microsoft threads on one page. Some people are like jilted lovers ;) Btw excellent choice of avatar there ade, as an exiled Brightonian (in sunny Thailand) seeing that just brightens (Brightons?) up my day!

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
PS I don't think you can really thank just one guy, this whole project is the work of a huge number of people, from the developers creating apps like Gnome, Firefox, Wine, and all the other tools we use, through the guys maintaining the packages for ubuntu, through the people who submit a bug report when they find something wrong, it's a huge effort, and I have maximum respect for all those involved. Thank you all.

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
4 Microsoft threads on one page. Some people are like jilted lovers ;) Btw excellent choice of avatar there ade, as an exiled Brightonian (in sunny Thailand) seeing that just brightens (Brightons?) up my day!

I love Brighton & Hove Albion as you can see. They escaped the drop to Division 2 on saturday. As you know Brighton never makes things easy. The stadium @ Falmer is also coming on well, if you are interested. This is a quick site I put together showing the progress. The photos where submitted by other supporters.

http://www.countdown2falmer.co.uk

pbpersson
May 5th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Ubuntu is the best distribution ever :)

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Bookmarked :) Life as a Brighton fan is never straightforward. I do miss our days in the Championship though, we seemed to be making real progress despite not having a pot to p*ss in. I just can't believe they're actually finally building something, after all this time. Fingers crossed a new stadium will be the kick-start we need to get back up there again. And yeah, it's a hell of a result to stay up. Going to L2 would have done us some serious damage. That was a bit too close for my liking (though not as bad as when we sent Hereford down).

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Bookmarked :) Life as a Brighton fan is never straightforward. I do miss our days in the Championship though, we seemed to be making real progress despite not having a pot to p*ss in. I just can't believe they're actually finally building something, after all this time. Fingers crossed a new stadium will be the kick-start we need to get back up there again. And yeah, it's a hell of a result to stay up. Going to L2 would have done us some serious damage. That was a bit too close for my liking (though not as bad as when we sent Hereford down).

Should have some fresh pics to go up for May. Will try and do this tonight.

The stadium is going to be fantastic. Really proud of it already, and something Brighton can be proud off.

If you look at those pics you will notice where they have started to dig the cliff. This is where the top of the roof will be and will blend in to the hillside.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Brighton rocks!

it's a great place.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Ubuntu is the best distribution ever :)
agreed. and Jaunty is the best version ever! seriously... freekin amazing.

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Some really cool pictures there, I can't wait to see the final thing, though it's a shame I'll probably not get to see it in person, but to be honest, as much as I love Brighton, I couldn't really leave Thailand behind for any great length of time!

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I only live 7 miles away, can see the marina from where I live. I really appreciate being by the sea, I could not think of a better place to live either.

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
True but as I recall last time I was there, the beach and the sea aren't quite as lovely as here (think perfect sandy beaches, blue unspoiled sea, palm trees, all that stuff)