PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Failed products list them here

ade234uk
May 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Internet Explorer (Firefox wins)
MSN search (Google wins)
Windows Vista (Ubuntu wins)
Microsoft virtual earth (Google Earth wins)
Microsoft live search maps (Google Maps wins)
Hotmail (Gmail wins)
Microsoft vine (Facebook & Twitter)
Xbox360 (Nintendo WII)

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM

I'll give you that one.

MSN search (Google wins)And that one.

Windows Vista (Ubuntu wins)Depends on the user.

Microsoft virtual earth (Google Earth wins)Virtual Earth has much more stunning 3D models of cities. It's probably the only advantage over Google Earth that it has, though.

Microsoft live search maps (Google Maps wins)Windows Live Local has really awesome aerial views of cities that Google Maps does not have.

Hotmail (Gmail wins)I'll give you this one, too.

Microsoft vine (Facebook & Twitter)Vine is only in beta, so we'll have to wait and see. I haven't actually used it, so I don't know how it compares.

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Ok so we're using non-microsoft products. But it's just that, a product, not a religion. The Microsoft-bashing is a little childish. I believe in using the right tools for the job. If MS make them, then I'll use those. If they're open source, I'll use those. If faceless corporation #92029 makes them, I'll use those.

el.norman
May 5th, 2009, 07:36 AM
calc(gnucalc)
notepad(mousepad and notepad++)
msn messenger(amsn)

wiznillyp
May 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I would like to add Vista to that list again, just for safe measure.

One can even say:

Vista (XP wins)

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM

One can even say:

Vista (XP wins)

Or Vista (7 wins) :D

cariboo
May 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
What about Microsoft Bob?

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM
What about Microsoft Bob?

You know I was just getting ready to post that. But because you have already done so, I will go with:

Windows Millennium Edition

SunnyRabbiera
May 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Worst MS products in my opinion:
ME
Bob
MS Paint
Notepad
.docx
Office 2007
Vista
Hotmail
IE
Outlook

lisati
May 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM

One can even say:

Vista (XP wins)

Vista seems to run reasonably well on my machine, perhaps the extra 1Gb memory helps a little - it sometimes seems to run better than the copy of XP I have on another machine. UAC, however, is a bit of a pain if you're used to the defaults on XP.

Orlsend
May 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
MSN search (Google wins)
Hotmail (Gmail wins)
Xbox360 (Nintendo WII)

You are correct about everything there,except when you mentioned Xbox,every good gamer know that Xbox is the best Console available, Maybe the Wii is cheaper or its more PG for the toddlers.

sertse
May 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM
notepad(mousepad and notepad++)
msn messenger(amsn)

Notepad is made for absolute simplicity; it's total lack of function aparts of making letter appear on a page is the entire point. Your examples have other aims, thus it can not be compared to notepad. Apples to Oranges

On msn messenger; The purpose of the your application to have an alternative client that provides full compatatability and all the functions of msn messenger has. You can't "add" functions msn messenger doesn't have in the first place and still something that could be compared to msn messenger! You'll be a different thing together, xyz messenger etc.

The only you can be better, and still have a valid comparsion is interface wise, and amsn really trails behind in that. Most obvious is that it uses it's own (quite ugly imo) toolkit, look out of place on your desktop.

EDIT: Realise that the ONLY ways your product can actually "win" against another (microsfot) product, and NOT just a reflection of "what you like" - You either have to have EVERYTHING, every good point the other (microsoft) product has AND MORE/BETTER, or if your product has ANYTHING LESS, than the other (microsoft), the average person would agree the TRADE OFF IS WORTH IT (It is not something debatable). Key words in caps :P. Otherwise, you are being disrepectful to the subset of users who *do* prefer the features the (microsoft) product has that yours *dont'*. You are saying your personal likes and dislikes are superior to other peoples.

/overanalysis

speedwell68
May 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM
MS Liquid Motion
MS Word 5.5 for Dos
Windows ME
Internet Explorer 6, 7 & 8, TBH 1 > 5.5 knocked the hell out of anything else at the time, but the rest of the world moved forward.

There are lots of things that MS have done really well, Office for example. They make excellent mice and keyboards too.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I agree with all of those points except for the Xbox360 and IE. The 360 has not failed at all, it's the second most popular console in the world. People, I know you may not like Microsoft but they DO make some pretty nice products, that includes Windows 7. The fact that IE continues to be the worlds most used browser, I don't care how unpopular it is, it's certainly not a failure.

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I thought of another one:

The first release of the Zune.

suitedaces
May 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
You had me until Wii. I still think it's a gimmick.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The Microsoft-bashing is a little childish. I believe in using the right tools for the job. If MS make them, then I'll use those.

I won't. I try to boycott Microsoft as much as I can. I want Microsoft to go away and die.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM
IThe fact that IE continues to be the worlds most used browser, I don't care how unpopular it is, it's certainly not a failure.

Right, like people actually chose to download and install it?

What Firefox has achieved is amazing, and it has done it by merit.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I won't. I try to boycott Microsoft as much as I can. I want Microsoft to go away and die.

Microsoft has done more for the computer industry then ANYONE! Only Apple can be considered to have done more but they did it with the help of Microsoft. Don't forget the fact that Microsoft employs 89,809 people around the world, if it were to die, in this economy, I rather not say...

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Microsoft has done more for the computer industry then ANYONE! Only Apple can be considered to have done more but they did it with the help of Microsoft. Don't forget the fact that Microsoft employs 89,809 people around the world, if it were to die, in this economy I rather not say...

I want them gone and replaced by something better. They're just about the worst thing that could have happened to the computer industry and it's all because of IBM's stupidity.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
+1 on BOB. take a look at my attachment for an example as to why.

what about Origami? i guess it was a Windows ultra-mobile PC that is almost impossible to find anywhere, even on eBay. were any sold?

Mira - cool idea but almost zero sales. basically its a portable touch screen "monitor" that talks to your real computer wirelessly. it was meant to take around the house with ya and stuff... i guess most people just preferred their laptops.

MN-500 router - yep, Microsoft made routers, briefly in 2002. i think they sold about 3 of them.

ActiMates - i don't even know how to explain this. just read the Wikipedia article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actimates).

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Right, like people actually chose to download and install it?

What Firefox has achieved is amazing, and it has done it by merit.

Don't Dell and other company's now sell Ubuntu or another flavour of Linux on some of their desktops? Don't people buy those desktops and have Firefox pre-installed on them? Hmmm, yeah... Face it, Firefox is the new IE, where it'll be pre-installed on more and more computers as Linux popularity continues to rise.

Don't get me wrong, I use Firefox in both Ubuntu and Vista/7 but that won't mean I'll mindlessly defend it. 1/6 of Firefox users don't even know what a web browser is or don't know of any others, I doubt they chose to use it.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I want them gone and replaced by something better. They're just about the worst thing that could have happened to the computer industry and it's all because of IBM's stupidity.

Look at Vista alpha, codenamed Longhorn. Now look at Mac OS X. Looks like Apple stole from Microsoft... If I didn't know any better, Apple should be the one to boycott. Only thing Apple knows is to copy ideas and actually implement them well.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Don't Dell and other company's now sell Ubuntu or another flavour of Linux on some of their desktops? Don't people buy those desktops and have Firefox pre-installed on them? Hmmm, yeah... Face it, Firefox is the new IE, where it'll be pre-installed on more and more computers as Linux popularity continues to rise.

Don't get me wrong, I use Firefox in both Ubuntu and Vista/7 but that won't mean I'll mindlessly defend it. 1/6 of Firefox users don't even know what a web browser is or don't know of any others, I doubt they chose to use it.
do you have any idea how few computers are sold with Ubuntu preinstalled compared to the amount of computers with Windows preinstalled?

Firefox got to where it's at by it's popularity due to being a good program that people enjoy. IE is pre-installed on more than 90% of peoples' personal computers. so the fact that IE is the leading browser is not because it's an amazing browser that people just can't get enough of, it's because they don't know of any alternatives.

you cannot say the same thing about Firefox.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM
do you have any idea how few computers are sold with Ubuntu preinstalled compared to the amount of computers with Windows preinstalled?

Firefox got to where it's at by it's popularity due to being a good program that people enjoy. IE is pre-installed on more than 90% of peoples' personal computers. so the fact that IE is the leading browser is not because it's an amazing browser that people just can't get enough of, it's because they don't know of any alternatives.

you cannot say the same thing about Firefox.

It's true, I can't say the same thing about Firefox. But some of Firefox's popularity has to do with people who got it pre-installed and don't know of any other alternatives.

wightman.p
May 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Dr. Watson ;)

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM

1. That's rather childish.
2. As much as we may all be annoyed at their monopoly position, a large part of how that position came about was that Microsoft brought computing into the mainstream by making computers accessible to more people. I don't like their business practices, I recognise that their operating systems are inherently flawed, but I also recognise that they're very good at making computer software that anyone can use. I also recognise that once in a while they deliver something truly groundbreaking and deserving of praise, such as Office 2007 and the Win7 taskbar (which honestly I'd love to have in Linux, so far the only clone that's out isn't quite hitting the mark).

Let's be grown-ups.

.Maleficus.
May 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
It's about time someone posted a good troll thread today.

I have an idea! While we're bashing one company for no reason other than to up our cool Linux-techie-nerd status, lets bash Apple, Sun, The Mono Project and Adobe too! I'll start.

Damn that Apple for using FreeBSD/NetBSD/Openstep technologies in their hiedous, unusable OS. Why should I be paying money for something that only rich idiots can use?

Sun is the devil! Java is the slowest, worst steaming pile I've ever seen passed off as a programming language! A VM? WTF is this? They should learn how to code a good VM like Python.

Mono!? MONO?! Promoting M$ products?! These n00bs are the worst Linux users EVAR, lets burn them at the stake!

Adobe doesn't even care about us Linux users! Where's my stable 64-bit Flash plugin?! And if they can port PS and Illustrator to OS X, where's my Linux version!?

Seems a bit silly, doesn't it?

stwschool
May 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
To be fair java is a bit slow. I disable java in firefox because whenever I used to come accross it on any windows box it'd just slow down to a crawl.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
It's about time someone posted a good troll thread today.

I have an idea! While we're bashing one company for no reason other than to up our cool Linux-techie-nerd status, lets bash Apple, Sun, The Mono Project and Adobe too! I'll start.

Damn that Apple for using FreeBSD/NetBSD/Openstep technologies in their hiedous, unusable OS. Why should I be paying money for something that only rich idiots can use?

Sun is the devil! Java is the slowest, worst steaming pile I've ever seen passed off as a programming language! A VM? WTF is this? They should learn how to code a good VM like Python.

Mono!? MONO?! Promoting M$ products?! These n00bs are the worst Linux users EVAR, lets burn them at the stake!

Adobe doesn't even care about us Linux users! Where's my stable 64-bit Flash plugin?! And if they can port PS and Illustrator to OS X, where's my Linux version!?

Seems a bit silly, doesn't it?
actually, your post is a bit silly. did you bother to read this thread. its about failed microsoft products (or its supposed to be) and there are MANY MANY lists of these online at various tech websites.

its just for fun. i mean, do you REALLY want to defend microsoft BOB? or ActiMates?

.Maleficus.
May 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
actually, your post is a bit silly. did you bother to read this thread. its about failed microsoft products (or its supposed to be) and there are MANY MANY lists of these online at various tech websites.

its just for fun. i mean, do you REALLY want to defend microsoft BOB? or ActiMates?
Yes, I did read the thread and no, I'm not defending Micrsoft Bob. What I'm trying to get across is that all of these "OMG this ____ sucks so bad" threads are pointless and don't need to be made. If you feel the need to complain about every little thing Microsoft, Adobe, Apple et al have made, go to Recurring Discussions. Every product under the sun is complained about there, and this thread will end its life sometime today or tomorrow in that very same sub-board.

Also, I have to say, I lol'd very hard when I read that MSN was on the list being replaced by AMSN. If you're using MSN at all (whether it's with a Linux clone or not) I guess Microsoft hasn't totally failed...

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Yes, I did read the thread and no, I'm not defending Micrsoft Bob. What I'm trying to get across is that all of these "OMG this ____ sucks so bad" threads are pointless and don't need to be made. If you feel the need to complain about every little thing Microsoft, Adobe, Apple et al have made, go to Recurring Discussions. Every product under the sun is complained about there, and this thread will end its life sometime today or tomorrow in that very same sub-board.

Also, I have to say, I lol'd very hard when I read that MSN was on the list being replaced by AMSN. If you're using MSN at all (whether it's with a Linux clone or not) I guess Microsoft hasn't totally failed...
yeah

i wish people would stick to the many microsoft products that actually did fail, instead of the popular ones that they just don't like for some reason.

3rdalbum
May 5th, 2009, 11:57 AM
What about the Microsoft Java Runtime Environment? The courts told Microsoft that they weren't allowed to distribute it with Windows; and coupled with the fact that it caused so many problems in the first place, Microsoft quietly dropped it.

Windows 1.0 was a massive failure for Microsoft as well.

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Just call MS one big fail and be done with it. Easier that way. :D

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM
MSN search (Google wins)
Hotmail (Gmail wins)
Xbox360 (Nintendo WII)

you must be bored.

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 12:58 PM
ME
Bob
MS Paint
Notepad
.docx
Office 2007
Vista
Hotmail
IE
Outlook

notepad and office 07 are awesome.

next.

ralanyo
May 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Good post. Although .net has taken off in comparison to php or other languages.
:KS (http://zoodlemarketing.com/search-engine-optimization.html)

wirepuller134
May 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
MN-500 router - yep, Microsoft made routers, briefly in 2002. i think they sold about 3 of them.

We own a few of these, we used to use them on processing lines to network the machines together. We never had a failure on any of them that we put in place, and every one is still in use today. So they sold more than 3 but only about 800 or so to us, I would have to dig to find exactly how many.

As far as the list goes, I don't have anything to add.

suitedaces
May 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM
RE OP:

PS3 > 360 is at least a matter of debate (though I would still disagree), but wii is not in the same league at all.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM

That seems like a one big assumption to make about other people.

I bash Micro$oft for other reasons, many other reasons. I don't have any techie-nerd status and never will, I'm a perma-noob. I bash Microsoft because I have read a lot about their history and their tactics, and also because I'm an ex-employee and didn't like what I found there.

If it's childish to dream of a better world then I'm guilty as charged.

I-75
May 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM
ok so we're using non-microsoft products. But it's just that, a product, not a religion. The microsoft-bashing is a little childish. I believe in using the right tools for the job. If ms make them, then i'll use those. If they're open source, i'll use those. If faceless corporation #92029 makes them, i'll use those.

+1

Mehall
May 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
ME
Bob
MS Paint
Notepad
.docx
Office 2007
Vista
Hotmail
IE
Outlook

ME, Bob, .docx, Hotmail and IE I will give you.

MS Paint does what it needs to, no more. It's simple, starts up fast, and is there for quick edits.

Notepad is too simplistic, I'll grant you that one too.

Office 2007: I know a LOT of people who REALLY like it. Including Linux users, who would normally use OO.o

Vista: Not really a "failed" product. I agree it should be, but it has over 20% market share. More than every non MSFT OS combined, so it's not really failed, even if it is *****.

And Outlook? It's *really* good in a corporate environment. It's integration of appointments/calendars/scheduling stuff with the email stuff is REALLY well done. I don't use it personally
but I can understand why a company would internally.

.Maleficus.
May 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
That seems like a one big assumption to make about other people.

I bash Micro$oft for other reasons, many other reasons. I don't have any techie-nerd status and never will, I'm a perma-noob. I bash Microsoft because I have read a lot about their history and their tactics, and also because I'm an ex-employee and didn't like what I found there.

If it's childish to dream of a better world then I'm guilty as charged.

If History class has taught me anything this year, it's that revolutions weren't started by calling the opposition names. If you want Microsoft to be gone from the face of the earth, calling them names on forums and insulting their products isn't the correct way to go about it. It's a childish way to start "discussion".

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
If History class has taught me anything this year, it's that revolutions weren't started by calling the opposition names. If you want Microsoft to be gone from the face of the earth, calling them names on forums and insulting their products isn't the correct way to go about it. It's a childish way to start "discussion".

But I haven't done that though.:confused:

beercz
May 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
MSN search (Google wins)
Hotmail (Gmail wins)
Xbox360 (Nintendo WII)
Failed?
The items you list either sell very well and/or used by a lot of users.
It depends how you define the terms 'fail' and 'wins'.
And, does it really matter?

.Maleficus.
May 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
But I haven't done that though.:confused:

I didn't say you did.:confused:

I meant as a whole, that is what this thread is doing.

dragos240
May 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
ME
Bob
MS Paint
Notepad
.docx
Office 2007
Vista
Hotmail
IE
Outlook

MS paint is an exception. I have never had any problems with it, it's simple and it works great!

ghindo
May 6th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I don't really understand the point of this thread.

pwnst*r
May 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I don't really understand the point of this thread.

there is none. OP just wanted to point out his laptop specs.

Giant Speck
May 6th, 2009, 12:44 AM
there is none. OP just wanted to point out his laptop specs.

Oh, snap!

Sealbhach
May 6th, 2009, 12:45 AM
I didn't say you did.:confused:

I meant as a whole, that is what this thread is doing.

Yeah, I tend to agree it's a bit lame.:)

amitabhishek
May 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Windows Mobile! BB and iPhones are miles ahead.

Giant Speck
May 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Windows Mobile! BB and iPhones are miles ahead.

I cannot agree with you more.