PDA

View Full Version : Help PLAY The Matrix DVD

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Ok so my other thread got jailed because it mentioned piracy, so can anyone help me find a way to PLAY The Matrix DVD that I have?

xArv3nx
May 5th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Ok so my other thread got jailed because it mentioned piracy, so can anyone help me find a way to PLAY The Matrix DVD that I have?
for the billionth time, have you tried installing libdvdcss2 from medibuntu (if all else fails install vlc)

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
for the billionth time, have you tried installing libdvdcss2 from medibuntu (if all else fails install vlc)

Yes. I have libdvdcss2 installed and I have tried playing it in vlc. I have also tried ripping the dvd using handbrake. I have even tried installing the software that is on the dvd inside of wine. Nothing seems to be working.

el.norman
May 5th, 2009, 06:25 AM
vlc alone will not work unless you got the repositories from medibuntu.

just go to medibuntu.org , click the repositories and follow the instructions.

[-X

el.norman
May 5th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Yes. I have libdvdcss2 installed and I have tried playing it in vlc. I have also tried ripping the dvd using handbrake. I have even tried installing the software that is on the dvd inside of wine. Nothing seems to be working.

then use vlc in wine...

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 06:27 AM
then use vlc in wine...

Worth a try I guess. Can't hurt.

Edit -> Nope. Same as in Ubuntu. It doesn't want to work. Oh well I give up. If this stupid thing worked right I would have finished the movie by now. I guess I'll just have to buy a newer copy that doesn't have this software stuff on it. Thanks to all those who tried to help get this working.

cariboo
May 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Have you tried acidrip to make a back up copy of your dvd? Acirdip is in the repositories.

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Have you tried acidrip to make a back up copy of your dvd? Acirdip is in the repositories.

Yeah I tried it shortly after handbrake. Neither could do the job.

ghindo
May 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I <3 documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/musicvideophotos/C/video-dvd.html

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I <3 documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/musicvideophotos/C/video-dvd.html

*sigh* I hate to sound rude but did you even read the previous post's? I've already mentioned that I have done this already. The reason this dvd will not play is because it is not a normal dvd. It came with software on it in addition to the movie so it cannot be played/ripped in the traditional manner. Thanks for the try though.

Edit -> And with that I'm giving up for the night. It is almost 2 AM here and I'm getting tired. Good night.

ghindo
May 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I read what was in this thread. Sorry I couldn't help out.

rzrgenesys187
May 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I know you've already tried ripping with a few programs but DVDFab (http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm) has always worked for me in the past. It is for windows but runs fine under wine. I'm not sure if it will work due to the software you mentioned is on the disc, but it's worth a try

cariboo
May 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I just had a look at the Pirates of The Caribbean, which has something similar to The Matrix, I loaned my copy to a friend that lives 2 hours away so it is a liitle tough just to pop out and get it.

Once the you have the dvd icon on your desktop, right click on it and select Open Folder, Once the file manager has open you should be able to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive. Once you have the directory on your hard drive, it should be a simple matter of burning it to a dvd using brasero or k3b.

Hallvor
May 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
+1 for DVDfab+Wine. It is a great tool.

Dragonbite
May 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I just had a look at the Pirates of The Caribbean, which has something similar to The Matrix, I loaned my copy to a friend that lives 2 hours away so it is a liitle tough just to pop out and get it.

Once the you have the dvd icon on your desktop, right click on it and select Open Folder, Once the file manager has open you should be able to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive. Once you have the directory on your hard drive, it should be a simple matter of burning it to a dvd using brasero or k3b.

I'm interested if that works. Did you do this?

ninjapirate89
May 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM

I did see that folder on the cd but I don't have a dvd burner. Would I be able to just watch the movie if I copied it to my hard drive?

hanzomon4
May 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Yeah just look for the largest file i that folder

hanzomon4
May 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah just look for the largest file in that folder

ninjapirate89
May 6th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I just tried copying the contents of VIDEO_TS and I get an input/output error and it doesn't copy. I'm just going to see if I can rent a newer version of this dvd from blockbuster or something and try ripping that one. Thanks.

drawkcab
May 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I had this problem last week. Certain dvds want to install into windows before they play, hence it is difficult to get them to play in Linux. I could have booted into xp but why do I want dvds to install a bunch of crap on my OS?

Deluge to the rescue!