PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 RC Released

xArv3nx
May 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Download (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx).

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 06:15 AM
i'm always confused whether or not i should get a 64-bit version or not. i have a pentium 4 (cedar mill) and all the literature says stuff like "you can run 64 bit stuff on this..." but I never know if it's "better" to run 64 bit or 32 bit.

what do you guys think? should i get the 64 bit or 32 bit version?

xArv3nx
May 5th, 2009, 06:18 AM
i'm always confused whether or not i should get a 64-bit version or not. i have a pentium 4 (cedar mill) and all the literature says stuff like "you can run 64 bit stuff on this..." but I never know if it's "better" to run 64 bit or 32 bit.

I like the 32-bit version (even though I have a 64-bit CPU) simply because it makes my system feel cleaner to me. No need for all the extra 32-bit crap that allows you to actually run the 32-bit programs (you know like in Ubuntu there are the 32-bit libs).

Plus, you never know when you need to put it on an old computer, so you don't have to re-download it.

MikeTheC
May 5th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Um... no, thanks.

On an unrelated train of thought, wouldn't it have been a gas if the link to Microsoft's RC actually downloaded, say, Kubuntu 9.04 instead? *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Dr. C
May 5th, 2009, 06:36 AM

GNU / Linux 64bit if you have a 64 bit processor
Windows 32bit unless you have 3GB or more of RAM.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
oops... looks like i need 16GB of hard drive space for this. i recently had some hard drive issues lately and had to install a very Tiny one. i have a 10GB XP partition, a 15 GB home partition and a 5GB root partition.

i would have to use the partition editor off a live CD to modify all these which could be disatrous...

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I feel like trying it to tear it a new one early unlike with Vista but since you have to sign up to microsoft to get it, eh, nah. Maybe if I come across it elsewhere and the download speed is high.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I was going to install it in virtualbox, but...

16 gigs?!?!

That's like saying "you must be at least 500 pounds overweight in order to buy our cheeseburgers."

SupaSonic
May 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Windows 7 RC Released
And I still don't care.

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 07:09 AM
So it's a DVD image??

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I was going to install it in virtualbox, but...

16 gigs?!?!

That's like saying "you must be at least 500 pounds overweight in order to buy our cheeseburgers."

Sixteen gigabytes? Where are you reading that?

Because when I installed it, it only took up 4.8 gigabytes.

gnomeuser
May 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Downloading as we speak, it seems they fixed their server load issues from the beta and internal MDSN RC release. Now to suck Microsoft' pipes dry.

xArv3nx
May 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Um... no, thanks.

On an unrelated train of thought, wouldn't it have been a gas if the link to Microsoft's RC actually downloaded, say, Kubuntu 9.04 instead? *wink wink, nudge nudge*
i wasn't asking if you wanted to download it. :confused:

transgress
May 5th, 2009, 08:32 AM
grabbing it at this very moment actually. beta was very good. as for the criticisms of people who don't actually know how to properly criticize... yeah ubuntu takes a suggested 8 gigs... you can pull off this win7 install with 8... but 16 if you want to make sure you have enough space in the future. such a joke...who cares about 16 gigs anymore? i understand hardware issues suck... but a 160gig hard drive costs very little. It's a good OS Release candidate... it's not linux... but that doesn't mean you have to despise it from the start. It's like being that guy that loved that band up until they got popular. But you know what... **** off nirvana rocked even after they got popular. And it would seem MS can make a worthwhile operating system.

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM
i was reading the release notes on that download page... it says minimum 16GB of hard drive space...

it might not take up that much space, but it likes that much so it can stretch its arms or something.

i backed up my home partition so wish me luck...

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
holy moly... 2.36GB iso file!

i'm going to be here for a while (it wouldn't work using firefox in Ubuntu so i'm in my XP partition land)

this sucks. 4 more hours stuck using Windows. i think i'm going to enjoy when the RC starts kicking us off every 2 hours... it'll just remind me to boot back into Linux.

but seriously, i never use Windows for more than 20 minutes at a time anyway. I only have this partition to check on my websites with IE. when i'm using XP, i use the Vista Transformation Pack to make it look like Vista. see, i have no problem with the way Vista looks, just with the horrible way it runs. the VTP gives me the glossy panel, new log-in/log-out screens, boot screen, sounds, cursors, the "L-Clock" (nice looking clock), transparent titlebars and start menu, and updated icons. but it manages to run all that and still be a lot faster than the real Vista. it's pretty funny really.

i worked with this one chick who bought a brand new dell laptop (really nice one too, but pink. ugh). Everytime she booted up Vista, it said it needed to do a system restore or something. whats ridiculous is that she had JUST purchased the damn thing and barely even used it before it started having that error. i also don't like how they renamed things in the control panel for no apparent reason. i can't think of any examples but I just remember how dificult it was for me to navigate.

anyways... i'm looking forward to seeing what Microsoft has been busy with the last couple of months. i'm not the biggest fan of Microsoft (in fact, i hate those guys) but if I have to keep a version of Windows around for testing reasons, it might as well look pretty.

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I've been looking at this in Virtualbox. Well, it runs fast in VB but that's not a very realistic test, I suppose. The user interface is much the same as Vista and for me the same depressing Windows experience.

Zoowey
May 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
All I got to say. Best Windows EVER!

miegiel
May 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM

I'm getting both :lolflag: mostly to see which depresses me most.

On the up side, this time, I'm going to learn how to restore grub. Up to now I've always reinstalled ubuntu to fix the MBR :oops:

Saint Angeles
May 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I'm getting both :lolflag: mostly to see which depresses me most.

On the up side, this time, I'm going to learn how to restore grub. Upto now I've always reinstalled ubuntu to fix the MBR :oops:
check out Super Grub Disk (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/).

it'll change your life.

Brandel Valico
May 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIgEFIv5MI

Heck just a darn funny video. Where they tell people KDE4 is Windows7 and people love it and think its the best Windows ever.

Paqman
May 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Anybody got a reliable torrent of this? Downloading it direct from Microsoft looks like being way more of a pain than it's worth?

Failing that, can someone please post the MD5SUM for their download they got direct? 32-bit and 64-bit please.

kirsis
May 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Anybody got a reliable torrent of this? Downloading it direct from Microsoft looks like being way more of a pain than it's worth?

Failing that, can someone please post the MD5SUM for their download they got direct? 32-bit and 64-bit please.

I suggest you get it from microsoft. It works with Firefox on Ubuntu and the speed is very good (~900kb/s here).

It seemed as if they had some problems with servers earlier today, but when I came back an hour later, I got to the download immediatly.

edit: p.s. i'd post the md5sum, but im on windows atm... heh :)

konqueror7
May 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
well, it has been leaked already for a week or so...

@Paqman
here you go, link (http://tinyurl.com/dmevob)

kirsis
May 5th, 2009, 11:09 AM
btw, if anybody's interested, here's a way to bypass the version check, should you want to upgrade from Win7 beta

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/04/22/hack-to-upgrade-windows-7-from-beta-or-pre-rc-to-rc-70xx-to-71xx-version-directly/

bigbrovar
May 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
After running linux for close to two years now.. am afraid i just cant see myself using windows again. I am so used to the linux ways (seperate home dir, Packmanagers, freedom to customize, freedom, lack of Activation codes, security community etc) I just cant ..

Polygon
May 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
cool, downloading now.

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
it's awesome.

MellonCollie
May 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Here are the SHA1 hashes from the RC downloads on the MSDN site.

32-bit: 7D1F486CA569EFFFFB719CFB48355BB7BF499712

64-bit: FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874

Paqman
May 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Here are the SHA1 hashes from the RC downloads on the MSDN site.

32-bit: 7D1F486CA569EFFFFB719CFB48355BB7BF499712

64-bit: FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874

Excellent, thanks.

Firestem4
May 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
grabbing it at this very moment actually. beta was very good. as for the criticisms of people who don't actually know how to properly criticize... yeah ubuntu takes a suggested 8 gigs... you can pull off this win7 install with 8... but 16 if you want to make sure you have enough space in the future. such a joke...who cares about 16 gigs anymore? i understand hardware issues suck... but a 160gig hard drive costs very little. It's a good OS Release candidate... it's not linux... but that doesn't mean you have to despise it from the start. It's like being that guy that loved that band up until they got popular. But you know what... **** off nirvana rocked even after they got popular. And it would seem MS can make a worthwhile operating system.

I think some people may agree with me that its not the amount that Windows 7 takes up. Its what you get for all that space.

Compare Ubuntu to Windows 7. Both are equally powerful and full featured...Yet 7 takes up like 12 more gigs of space...for what?

betrunkenaffe
May 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
After running linux for close to two years now.. am afraid i just cant see myself using windows again. I am so used to the linux ways (seperate home dir, Packmanagers, freedom to customize, freedom, lack of Activation codes, security community etc) I just cant ..

Agreed, I haven't been running linux solely for nearly as long but I just can't see myself going back to Windows, I don't even virtual box it. I recently installed eve on this laptop and it won't run, I could install a dual boot and probably get it to work in Windows however I just opted to not bother and didn't renew my subscription.

I think the only game that might make me use Windows would be Guild Wars 2.

mips
May 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Your CPU is indeed 64 bit.

I would run a 64bit OS on it.

billgoldberg
May 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Just finished installing it and all the drivers + AVG.

The new themes are nice.

It runs as fast as the beta.

--

I would have gone for the 64-bit version but it requires at least 2gb or ram, while the 32-bit version needs 1.

I only have 2gb so I opted for the 32-bit version.

billgoldberg
May 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I think some people may agree with me that its not the amount that Windows 7 takes up. Its what you get for all that space.

Compare Ubuntu to Windows 7. Both are equally powerful and full featured...Yet 7 takes up like 12 more gigs of space...for what?

It takes up 12gb. You know that before you install it.

If you can't spare 12gb, you shouldn't be running Windows 7.

Meson
May 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
a gas

The only 'person' I've ever heard using that expression is Holden Caulfield =)

mips
May 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Languages, drivers.

It installs more stuff than you need. It's amazing how much you can strip out of the install cd/dvd. I think they do this for user convenience.

geoken
May 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I would have gone for the 64-bit version but it requires at least 2gb or ram, while the 32-bit version needs 1.

I only have 2gb so I opted for the 32-bit version.

If I wasn't for my ram I'd run 32bit as well. Windows has always made running 32bit apps in a 64bit environment really easy. Because of this a lot of stuff is still 32bit (for example, Adobe cited this very reason as why they have only released builds of Flash 64 for Linux). So even if you were running 64bit, your Program Files(x86) folder would likely be 4 or 5 times larger than your program files folder.

zenithdave
May 5th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Beta on virtualbox and its not visually very impressive unlike KDE 4.2 :D

Giant Speck
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't understand how it can take up 12 GB of space on some computers, and as little as 5 GBs on other computers (including mine).

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Beta on virtualbox and its not visually very impressive unlike KDE 4.2 :D

same. mine's around 5GB

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I don't understand how it can take up 12 GB of space on some computers, and as little as 5 GBs on other computers (including mine).

Same here, around 5GB in Virtualbox.

LowSky
May 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Funny it wouldnt let me download using Ubuntu, had to switch to Windows to work... ActiveX is my guess.

Still I will be installing tonight, should be fun...

Mehall
May 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
You can use Java instead of ActiveX

I'm using Linux and Firefox, working fine for me.

Course, all I did was let it load, then copy then URL for the iso, and then wget that from a separate computer, lols.

mamamia88
May 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM
burning to disk now gonna install it over beta

geoken
May 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Funny it wouldnt let me download using Ubuntu, had to switch to Windows to work... ActiveX is my guess.

Still I will be installing tonight, should be fun...

You can use the direct links to download over http. You can't actually click these links, you'll need to open a new tab and paste them into the address bar.

32bit (http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/release/windows7/4/0/c/40c1e714-7910-4b38-9b5e-67fa522e6a44/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso)

64bit (http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/release/windows7/e/b/5/eb58e76e-17fa-409b-855f-11fbe84d1c93/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso)

dragos240
May 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM
This is going to replace my vista hard disk (the HD I have my vista on.) Wish me luck!

mamamia88
May 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM
just installed it and jaunty gui won't start it's a conspiracy by microsoft to kill linux

gymophett
May 6th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Oh gee! It only requires 1GB of ram! :|

yaiyuy8W
May 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
What is better 16 bit or 32 bit? Essentially that is what you've asked.

pwnst*r
May 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
just installed it and jaunty gui won't start it's a conspiracy by microsoft to kill linux

lol, keep smoking.

wsonar
May 6th, 2009, 02:54 AM
guess I'll check out the RC

wsonar
May 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
basically a 13 month trial

schauerlich
May 6th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Just installed it. Seems pretty nice. The taskbar is a bit too big, though. And it tries really hard to be the Mac OS X dock. We'll see how well it succeeds.

Saint Angeles
May 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
What is better 16 bit or 32 bit? Essentially that is what you've asked.
ummm... ok.

so heres my story... after a 6 hour download, i burned the ISO, and booted it up. i had to move to XP and it took me 3 tries to find a free DVD ISO burning program. i would have just booted into jaunty to burn the iso but i was watching a movie at the time...

i decided to do some reformatting to make sure the windows partition is big enough. i backed up my home partition to my external USB drive and made sure i had the latest jaunty ISO.

so i boot up the Win7 disc and it does the install thing... i decide to leave and take care of some stuff. when i got back an hour later, it was on the screen asking me for me user name and password.

but it was frozen.

ok, so i just did a hard reboot, and it let me do the initial setup. i put it all my information but after the network setup, it froze. "weird" another hard reboot.

ok some background info:
my wireless card never worked on XP. it would make the computer freeze. this wireless card was designed for XP mind you (D-Link DWL G520). i figured that an OS thats 2 generations newer would not have this problem but it did.

so i needed to boot into safe mode and disable my wireless card. i reboot and try to go into safe mode but it won't let me because the installation hadn't finished. "ARGH". I reboot.

ok so it goes back to the "first time using windows" screen and asks to put in my user name and password AGAIN. when i try to use my name (the same one i did before) it says that its taken. "ARGH" so i use my girlfriend's name and login. it does so, but 1 minute later, it froze."DAMN". time to reboot into safe mode.

ok so i got into safe mode and i was able to disable the wireless card. "YES!" i reboot to finally be able to use Windows 7 the way it was supposed to be... ok so i wanted to use my first account (the one in my name). immediately i get an error with explorer shutting down and some other error message with a title like {42316-426189-329321}.

"weird"

ok so i log out, log into my girlfreind's account, delete my initial account and rename my girlfriend's account to my name. everything seems to work very well afterwards.

so i boot into my jaunty disc, setup my root and home partitions, it installs in 20 minutes and i reboot and i'm using jaunty almost immediately.

long story short: jaunty is a lot easier to get working and all my hardware works out of the box, unlike Windows7 (or XP for that matter)

Giant Speck
May 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Just installed it. Seems pretty nice. The taskbar is a bit too big, though. And it tries really hard to be the Mac OS X dock. We'll see how well it succeeds.

You can go into the taskbar properties and click "Use small icons." While you are there, you can also select "Never combine" under Taskbar buttons to make the taskbar look more like the Vista taskbar.

It makes the taskbar look so much better.

bfc
May 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I installed it on a spare Thinkpad that I plan on giving to my Parents (with Linux installed of course).

I was pleasantly surprised, it's pretty sharp looking.

The Desktop just feels bit more polished than either KDE or Gnome.

el.norman
May 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
the 64-bit, maybe it will not have many problem or issues this time with 64-bit apps

jocheem67
May 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Here's my story and it's not so pretty..

I'm a fan of windows OS'ses, there won't come any bashing from me when it's not about actual problems, also I won't compare ubuntu and 7. It's just different things..

I installed 7 on top of my xp-partition, went smooth. When booting there was ofcourse the mbr issue which I managed to resolve through a jaunty live-cd ( setup (hd0)...the usual command )
Now some playing around...my wireless was not recognized. Had to wire my setup and through an update I got a driver for my linksys WMP54g..
I hadn't expected this and already did some jumps to get it working, downloaded a ralink altenative driver which I couldn't get to work and already resulted in a BSOD:guitar:

Okay that works now...

I've been playing around now for a day ( the weather is not that good in Holland atm )
Did some tweaking, installed some applications, that all run well. Did some modifications on UAC, in the "phoning home" stuff that MS has put in..further more it's pretty much a default set-up ( no hacking stuff in the register ).
I'm pretty surprised now that the bloody OS won't close down anymore:(
It just hangs in "restarting" or "closing down" screen..

This, with the linksys-issue are imho opinion two major issues. And make me already quite disappointed. However I will ofcourse try to resolve the issue..

The "look and feel" is a double feeling for me.
It's fast, responsive, booting times, install times, all are great. The new taskbar is pretty nice..but.. exploring is a pain. It's not easy to find your programs other than through the "search" option. There's two "Program Files" folders for instance ( a 64bit one and a x86 one ).
All the deafault folders that windows present are not my cup of tea, the windows for navigating are pretty small, a lot of tweaking is imho necessary to make this all clearer to work with..however that's also just "a getting used to" thingie.

I'll keep on testing and trying to keep an open mind, 7 is much prettier than xp ( which feels more and more legacy now )..

Still the lack of initial stability is a big disappointment..

cheers

Sealbhach
May 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
..but.. exploring is a pain. It's not easy to find your programs other than through the "search" option. There's two "Program Files" folders for instance ( a 64bit one and a x86 one ).

Yeah, same here, I find the menus a bit of a 'mare. It took me ages to find the system monitor thingy with the graph showing how much RAM is being used.

CrazyArcher
May 6th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Tried it in VM, from my brief experience it looks fine. Looks like MS executives realized that unless they do something with their OS, they are going down, so they decided to kick the coders' butt to make them work :D.

I'm not a fan of a particular platform, I'm using whatever works best for me. So far, my favorite OS was Linux Mint and favourite productivity package is MS Office 2007. If Win7 succeeds to impress me - I'll give it a shot. I think that it's the first time in the past 15 years or so when the pressure of competition made MS invest lots of effort into making a good OS.