PDA

View Full Version : Why Hasn't Browser-Based, Open Source Video Playback Arrived Yet?

SuperMike
May 5th, 2009, 04:57 AM
The world wide web was invented 18 years ago. Since then, if you wanted to show a video clip in your web page, that technology is locked up to mostly Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft. If you want something cross-platform for all browsers and based on a video format that is open standard, it just doesn't exist anymore. Ogg Vorbis video requires a player and it's not installed by default or OEM-bundled by most browsers or most laptop/PC builders.

They say that when HTML5 ships, it just might arrive in that, but there is speculation it may not ship with that. Meanwhile, most of all new sites are being built now in XHTML Strict or XHTML Transitional, not HTML5, and I'm not aware of any kind of open source video playback in a future XHTML.

My gut feeling here, and this is purely speculation based on logic, is that Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft have a cartel going on this and are blocking and delaying any W3C standard that might enable Ogg Vorbis to move ahead. I mean, why else would this be blocked after 18 years of world wide web progress? Take for instance AJAX -- we now can build websites that almost act like forms-based standalone apps. And TinyMCE or FCKEditor -- we can now build rich-text editor fields for our website forms. But try and get open source, open format, free video playback, and you're stuck having to pay allegiance to Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft.

That's just not right.

Polygon
May 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM
you mean theora. ogg is just a container

and its partially because theora really just isn't a very good format.....in my experience at least. There seems to be no good encoders for it and all the ones i've tried, xvid and x264 have smaller file sizes and better quality video....

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Next version of firefox will support theora and vorbis natively. It's already available in the beta.

And vorbis is one exception where a free format is actually superior to closed ones. But in video it's not so, h.264 or x264 is far better than theora in quality.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 06:31 AM
It's here.

The W3C has defined a "video" element built into the Web standards. They actually defined it years ago, and Firefox is the first to implement it.

Orlsend
May 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I think if you have the right codecs miro will play everything! It browser based just like songbird.