PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ahhhhhh I cant get it to work

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I have been running windows XP Home on my Toshiba CTE 7200. 600 MHZ DVD drive and 320 mb of ram.

I wiped the hard drive clean and started fresh

I started trying Fedora 10 but that was a disaster. I moved to Utbuntu after gettting the live CD to work. When I said to install to harddrive it stopped working.

Now I cannot use either the live cd or the installed version.

Please help

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 03:11 AM
When you say you can't get the live cd to work, to you mean the disc as a whole won't work, or just the live user session?

Because If the disc itself still boots up, just select "install" from the get-go and bypass the live session.

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 03:22 AM
now if I let the live session start the Ubuntu screen comes up and then scans back and forth for a while before it starts the progress bar. The progress bar only comes about 10 or 15% across before it just stops.

If I try the install from the start CD is get the wandering progress bar for a bit then i get to that same 10 15% before it stops.

raymondh
May 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I have been running windows XP Home on my Toshiba CTE 7200. 600 MHZ DVD drive and 320 mb of ram.

Light...have you tried the alternate install method?

On installs, I have found less troubles when I burn the image really, really slow (like 4x) and, verify the disc first.

Lastly, 320 mb is quite near the low end. I think the minimum for the live CD is 384mb. Try the alternate install or something much lighter (xubuntu, perhaps)

Good luck

Copied from the ubuntu website

System requirements

Ubuntu is available for PC, 64-Bit PC and Intel-based Mac architectures. At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Light...have you tried the alternate install method?

On installs, I have found less troubles when I burn the image really, really slow (like 4x) and, verify the disc first.

Lastly, 320 mb is quite near the low end. I think the minimum for the live CD is 384mb. Try the alternate install or something much lighter (xubuntu, perhaps)

Good luck

Yes Xbuntu would be a much better choice for your computer. XFCE is a lot lighter and it is pretty nice too.

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I was trying the 9.04 for desktop i think. Perhaps I need to download the labtop one. I didn;t know they had a laptop version.

Yes what I really want for this computer is to just use the video out it has and use it for TV internet surfing and watching casttv.com. I have a much faster duo core laptop for everything else.

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM
There is no laptop version.
Just the bi-annual releases and the LTS releases that come out every 2 years, they are meant for both desktops and laptops and they can either be 32-bit or 64-bit software.
64-bit versions are meant for computers with multi-core processors, but it is not harmful to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit compatible computer, it will just run slower in some cases.

What we suggested is that you use Xbuntu because it uses the XFCE desktop environment, which is a lot lighter than GNOME (the desktop environment of Ubuntu).

raymondh
May 5th, 2009, 03:42 AM
lightdancer ... sven's right.

The specs of your machine will have a hard time running a 9.04. You can try with an alternate install CD .... which will give you the options to tweak down the OS..... or try Xubuntu or XFCE.

I have an old laptop which I tried to run 8.10. To me, it felt like cruising a 4-cyl car at 90 mph and then asking it to overtake another car. It'll do it .... it just won't do it "right away".

Good luck

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
lightdancer ... sven's right.

The specs of your machine will have a hard time running a 9.04. You can try with an alternate install CD .... which will give you the options to tweak down the OS..... or try Xubuntu or XFCE.

I have an old laptop which I tried to run 8.10. To me, it felt like cruising a 4-cyl car at 90 mph and then asking it to overtake another car. It'll do it .... it just won't do it "right away".

Good luck

I love the analogy haha

cybergalvez
May 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
check your memory, I was having real trouble with a eeePC that had a back stick of ram, new ram, no more problmes

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
well i thought that there was only a 32bit and 64 bit version, but I was just downloading the labtop remix. I dont know what the difference is.

But I like the idea of using xubuntu. I just want a superlite desktop environment that will get me to run firefox.

My Xubuntu dl will be done in a bit an then I will burn the image and let you guys know thanks for the help thus far

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 03:52 AM
thanks. I did do a ram check no probs.

raymondh
May 5th, 2009, 03:58 AM
My Xubuntu dl will be done in a bit an then I will burn the image and let you guys know thanks for the help thus far

light ..... burn the image as slow as possible ...it somehow minimizes errors. Don't ask me why. Let's call it "witchcraft" :)

raymondh
May 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
well i thought that there was only a 32bit and 64 bit version, but I was just downloading the labtop remix. I dont know what the difference is.

You may have been downloading the Ubuntu Netbook Remix which is based on 9.4 jaunty. The Netbook Remix is optimized for netbooks and their smaller screen "real estate".

Since you're downloading now, why not also have a look at XFCE.

Let us know how your Xubuntu install goes.

Good luck

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 04:02 AM
I learned that the day I met my wife. She couldn't get her CD's burn at the coffee shop. All I did was turn down the burn speed and well the rest is history.

I checked my CD for errors--none found

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
also Lightdancer, if you for some reason dont like Xbuntu, there is an Ubuntu Derivative called "#! Crunchbang Linux", that uses the Openbox window-manager as a standalone. It is extremely lightweight but you won't have icons, but it will run firefox, and you still have aptitude and all the inner-workings of Ubuntu.

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 04:54 AM
frustration nation. Xubuntu has stopped at the same spot as the ubuntu does. Even trying to just start without making changes

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Have you tried using an alternate install cd? It has no live session and is text-based I believe. try that.

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Okay guys now I get --Abnormal Exit and then Segmentation fault followed by system freeze.

This happens when it starts to load the hardward drivers.

This same thing happeded a couple of times with Ubuntu.

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Okay I will try to alternate CD, but then what. I got to this point with Fedora.

What the heck do I do when I finally get to the blinking cursor icon?

Lightdancer
May 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
okay, I got the alternate install CD and tried it but I cannot do anything because just as soon as I get off the "welcome screen" and start the install it no longer recognized the keyboard.

As for the Xubuntu regular install disk. I was again able to get it going with just start it without installing it onto the system. But I tried to install it onto the system it broke again. Also if I tried installing while it was running I couldn't because the keyboard wouldn't work.

Also when I did get it going I could only do so by using the safe mode

Svensk023
May 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
at the welcome boot screen, try running an install with the safe graphics mode, and with ACPI turned off

Lightdancer
May 6th, 2009, 12:54 AM
okay I'm trying right now-- With the regular version right?

Lightdancer
May 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
okay it froze up again. If I let it sit it will tell me abnormal exit just after trying the hardware settings

says Segmentation fault

trying it with the text edition, but it does not have a safe mode option

Lightdancer
May 6th, 2009, 02:10 AM
okay first it said that it didn't have a boot enviroment? Then continued and froze up again at the 10-15% mark

says no boot filename

Lightdancer
May 6th, 2009, 02:20 AM
problems is devices/virtual/block/ram8 and ram9 says abnormal exit then abnormal exit with /sbin/modprobe

then another abnormal exit with /dev/block/1:9

Svensk023
May 6th, 2009, 04:42 AM
from this point. All i can think of is that you have some hardware incompatibility issues, and I honestly don't have enough experience to help you any further. Sorry and good-luck