PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] System Groups

measekite
May 5th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I have done a lot of research and keep coming up empty and the includes browsing books at B&N.

In both Ubuntu and Fedora there are many System Groups. I am looking for information to get a deep understanding of what happens when I create a user and add them to various specific groups.

In Windows this can get quite compilcated but there is much documentation on the subject.

I cannot seem to find out what rights go along with each group.

Also I would like to know how I can exploit groups so they are valuable. Other than adding a user to a group and giving that group read, write, execute permissions that filter down to group members I cannot see what else they are for.

For example if there is a group called backup operators then its members can backup files to devices.

yeats
May 5th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Is there something specific you're trying to accomplish here? I think I understand what you're asking, but do you have a practical need that you're trying to get done? Or is this just curiosity?

measekite
May 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Is there something specific you're trying to accomplish here? I think I understand what you're asking, but do you have a practical need that you're trying to get done? Or is this just curiosity?

I just want to learn how they work and understand how they differ from he way things work in Windows.

yeats
May 5th, 2009, 11:12 AM
You will find MANY guides and tutorials on the web about this. I think, though that a more useful approach is to discover how Linux works apart from any sort of comparison to Windows - it really isn't a 1:1 comparison, which might be why you've been disappointed in your previous searches. The UNIX/Linux model is much older and much better documented than Windows (mainly because there is nothing truly hidden or obfuscated in Linux, but also because the best support for Linux really is on the web).

Anyway, good luck in your quest.