PDA

View Full Version : Is there new hope for syncing a Zune on Ubuntu 9.04?

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I have an 8GB flash Zune, and I have Ubuntu 9.04.
I plugged in my Zune, and it actually 'tried' to mount it!
I got this message.

"Unable to mount Microsoft Corp. Zune"

"DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

Is there finally a way we can work around it?

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Here is a screenshot of it actually being noticed.

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I read that libmtp + amerok might work... I have mixed reports...

Seems that it is "read only"???

This is due to microsoft and there "bumholioness"

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Is there a way to force mount it?

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 01:37 AM
You can mount it on a bottle rocket. That's what I'd do!

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 01:42 AM
You can mount it on a bottle rocket. That's what I'd do!

Even though it was made by Microsoft, it is my far my favorite music player. I love it and it was a gift. I don't have time for silly answers. I mean seriously, I'm sure you can force mount it. How though?

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Ooo, muy interesante. It would be nice if I could sync my 30 GB Zune, as it's one of the few things I absolutely NEED Windows for. I'm going to see if it recognizes it as it does yours.

EDIT: Hmph, nothing ):

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Ooo, muy interesante. It would be nice if I could sync my 30 GB Zune, as it's one of the few things I absolutely NEED Windows for. I'm going to see if it recognizes it as it does yours.

EDIT: Hmph, nothing ):

Okay. I have an 8GB flash which may be a reason. But go download all the libmtp files for Synaptic. :)

Then try again.

dragos240
May 5th, 2009, 02:01 AM
try this:

if root = apt-get install qlix
if non-root = sudo apt-get install qlix

Try putting the zune in MTP mode and disconnecting and reconnecting it. Open qlix from your sound & video section and try accessing it from there.

Vostrocity
May 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Well the Zune doesn't support MSC (not even MTP). Just like iPods, Zunes are 100% proprietary, which is why even on Windows you could only sync it with the Zune Media Player software. The only reason why iPods sync so easily with Linux media players is that people have looked at iTunes's code and recoded it into Songbird, Rhythmbox, etc. So far, I don't think Zunes on Linux have been popular enough for someone to write something to make it work. And the Zune software is rated "Garbage" for WINE. Shame because Zunes are pretty nice. Microsoft was even nice enough to make an ugly brown Zune to match Ubuntu. :cool:

dragos240
May 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Well just try it, it is indeed worth a try.

Vostrocity
May 5th, 2009, 02:07 AM
try this:

Try putting the zune in MTP mode and disconnecting and reconnecting it. Open qlix from your sound & video section and try accessing it from there.

I hope you remember that Zunes are not simply "PlaysForSure" MTP like the average DAP. It uses MTPZ which is I think makes it incompatible with MTP media players (like WMP or WinAmp).

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Tried what was suggested, still nothing. Doesn't even recognize that I've plugged something in, heh.

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM
try this:

Am trying now.
okay.
It says detecting devices, my Zune lights up, then Qlix shuts off. :(

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Shills must be paid "pretty nice":lolflag:

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Am trying now.
okay.

Yeah, your flash Zune is behaving differently than mine. Qlix and my Zune showed no signs of interaction whatsoever.

Vostrocity
May 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM
..nvm

dragos240
May 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Am trying now.
okay.

try this:
Open up a terminal,
type in "qlix"
when it crashes, post the result.

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 02:14 AM
http://roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/37A4A383-9B55-4692-8A96-B1A44DAC0941_files/zuned.png

ZUUUNE!!!! (http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/31/al-qaeda-endorses-the-zune-on-conan-obrien/)

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
try this:
Open up a terminal,
type in "qlix"
when it crashes, post the result.

usb_claim_interface(): Device or resource busy
LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to initialize device
Is dbus working: true

dragos240
May 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
No.

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:20 AM
I can now browse my songs and Zune shows up on my desktop! :D
But I can't listen to them or write to the folder. :(

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I can now browse my songs and Zune shows up on my desktop! :D
But I can't listen to them or write to the folder. :(

GASP! Progress! I can't get mine to do that );

Terminal output when pluggin in my Zune:

usb_claim_interface(): Operation not permitted
LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to initialize device
Is dbus working: true
connected: "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_45e_710_dddbb23d_928d_4e20_80bd_1ff88ee 00652"
QThread(ptr=0x8d03078) RemoveTimeout: killing timer 2
PTP: Opening session
Qlix MTP ERROR: PTP Layer error 02ff: get_all_metadata_fast(): could not get proplist of all objects.
Qlix MTP ERROR: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
Qlix MTP ERROR: PTP Layer error 02ff: get_handles_recursively(): could not get object handles.
Qlix MTP ERROR: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
connected: "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_45e_710_dddbb23d_928d_4e20_80bd_1ff88ee 00652_if0"
Vendor: "45e"
Product: "710"
Protocol: ("mtp")
Protocol udi: "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_45e_710_dddbb23d_928d_4e20_80bd_1ff88ee 00652_if0"

And the program stops responding around when it says "Opening session".

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:21 AM
No.

No what?

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:26 AM
When trying to read or write to folder I get:

"Could not open location; you might not have permission to open the file."

Is there a way to write to this un-authorized location? Then, I will almost completely free from Windows! :D

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Well, is there a way to get permissions to write or read it? I thought you shouldve been able to hear the songs..

Aiello
May 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Well, I doubt it will work, but if you are able browse your Zune with Nautilus, try using Nautilus with root permissions.

Alt + F2

gksu nautilus

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Well, I doubt it will work, but if you are able browse your Zune with Nautilus, try using Nautilus with root permissions.

Alt + F2

gksu nautilus

It doesn't show up. Do I need to like dev/usb/etc.. or something to get the files?

sgosnell
May 5th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Remember, this device was built by Microsoft as one more attempt to force people to use Windows. It's a proprietary device, and the source code is not available. In the short term, I don't think there is much hope of getting it to work on anything other than Windows. That's why I will never own one, nor will I own an iAnything. There are lots of generic devices available that work on any OS, and work as well as, or better than, a Zune or iPod.

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Remember, this device was built by Microsoft as one more attempt to force people to use Windows. It's a proprietary device, and the source code is not available. In the short term, I don't think there is much hope of getting it to work on anything other than Windows. That's why I will never own one, nor will I own an iAnything. There are lots of generic devices available that work on any OS, and work as well as, or better than, a Zune or iPod.

I did buy the thing before I was interested in Linux. It is a very good player though, I love it, just wish it... wasn't made by Microsoft? Ha.

gymophett
May 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I did buy the thing before I was interested in Linux. It is a very good player though, I love it, just wish it... wasn't made by Microsoft? Ha.

I guess I'll just share my music files to my families XP computer through SAMBA and sync the Zune wirelessly. :)

Muffinabus
May 5th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I guess I'll just share my music files to my families XP computer through SAMBA and sync the Zune wirelessly. :)

Hmm, that's actually a nifty idea (:

It's not a huge problem for me right now though, as I don't sync too often anyways, and do find myself on my Windows install every so often for gaming.

Warpnow
May 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM
The Zune is not MTP, as has been said, its MTPZ, which is a forked version of MTP for Zune. MTP can read song lists, but not much else, til some coder actually figures out how to port the MTPZ differences to us.

Dragonbite
May 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM

Or run Windows in a virtual machine.

Vostrocity
May 6th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Ooh that's actually a good idea. You could do a remote connection to your a Windows computer in another room and have your Zune sync to that while you're editing your library over the remote connection. :)