PDA

View Full Version : Recently converted to Linux and....

PrettyKitty
May 5th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I freaking love it!

I've come across so many problems, yet... I have found a solution for everything! The simple fact that so many other people that have had the same issues and posted on the web for help and got great advice definitely helped. Tehehe. I could never return to using microsucks winblows. :lolflag:

Cheers!

Oh I also wondered if anyone else is a big fan of watching abc.com shows? I find it stupid that I can't watch it at the site anymore. so my solution was to either download episodes or stream them from www.casttv.com. I hate to download, its not quick enough when I need my fix. lmao. But casttv using megavideo and there's no way in hell Im gonna pay a membership fee just to watch my shows for unlimited time in a day. Anyone else found a better solution to getting their fix off of abc shows...hmm? lol

Sealbhach
May 5th, 2009, 12:32 AM
That's cool, glad you're enjoying it. There's a lot of fun in finding new ways to do things.
I don't know what the issue with abc is, I'm outise the US so I can't see content anyway.

PrettyKitty
May 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
That's cool, glad you're enjoying it. There's a lot of fun in finding new ways to do things.
I don't know what the issue with abc is, I'm outise the US so I can't see content anyway.

Thanks! I find a challenge everyday, lol I must say my problem solving ability has improved since I made the big switch. :KS

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Man, My xp machiene crashes like EVERYDAY thats why I LOVE linux (I use it on my.... unfortunately.... old Athlon XP 2000+.... Which sucks because of VIA drivers :(.)

PrettyKitty
May 5th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Man, My xp machiene crashes like EVERYDAY thats why I LOVE linux (I use it on my.... unfortunately.... old Athlon XP 2000+.... Which sucks because of VIA drivers :(.)

Yea you know like I bought this computer that I have now in 2006! and up til before I switched it was always causing me problems. Turns out, that it was just windows.

pwnst*r
May 5th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I freaking love it!

I've come across so many problems, yet... I have found a solution for everything! The simple fact that so many other people that have had the same issues and posted on the web for help and got great advice definitely helped. Tehehe. I could never return to using microsucks winblows. :lolflag:

Cheers!

Oh I also wondered if anyone else is a big fan of watching abc.com shows? I find it stupid that I can't watch it at the site anymore. so my solution was to either download episodes or stream them from www.casttv.com. I hate to download, its not quick enough when I need my fix. lmao. But casttv using megavideo and there's no way in hell Im gonna pay a membership fee just to watch my shows for unlimited time in a day. Anyone else found a better solution to getting their fix off of abc shows...hmm? lol

downloading those shows is also not legal.

wabbalee
May 5th, 2009, 02:32 AM
have you installed the necessary plugins for your browser? like adobe flash? not sure about shockwave's availablity for linux.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 03:17 AM
have you installed the necessary plugins for your browser? like adobe flash? not sure about shockwave's availablity for linux.
Shockwave does not exist for Linux. However, you can install the Windows version of Firefox under WINE, and then shockwave will work (albeit at a lower frame rate.)

Bungo Pony
May 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM
The best part about Linux.... Getting stuff to work by just punching in (or pasting in) stuff into the terminal instead of googling a driver, searching through a bunch of sites to see who has the driver, registering so I can download the driver (or being bombarded by ads), installing the driver, finding out it's the wrong driver, and going through the whole process again, sometimes multiple times.

Fixed Ubuntu earlier today. I had the Hal not initializing problem and found the solution on the net. It's now happy again,

PrettyKitty
May 5th, 2009, 05:11 AM
downloading those shows is also not legal.

Oh yes. I know, and I don't like to download them. Infact I dont ever download those episodes. It's too bad they dont support linux users.

Brandel Valico
May 5th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Well you could do what I did and write them a brief E-mail letting them know they should provide a universal player.

It's a serious shame that you have limited your player to only Mac and Windows. Instead of making it universal, thus allowing those of us who run Linux could also use it.

After all if we don't let them and other sites and programmers know that we would like to see those options available to us they have no real reason to do so.

jmszr
May 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
PrettyKitty,

ABC just signed up with hulu: http://www.hulu.com/ . I don't know whether they're on yet - haven't looked - but try there.