PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] New workspace switching in Jaunty--I'm not a fan, can I revert?

fiddler616
May 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hello,
I've been using Ubuntu since Hardy, and liked the workspace switching in both Hardy and Intrepid--the entire desktop (wallpaper, panels, windows) slides to the left/right/etc. (as opposed to DEs like Openbox or Xfce, where the next workspace just appears with no transition). But with Jaunty, I've noticed that only the windows move--the wallpaper and panels stay in exactly the same place.
I know it's a small point, and won't be too upset if it doesn't get solved, but is there some way to revert to the previous effect?

Thanks.

Mr.Banana
May 5th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I've been wondering that myself, so here's one bump for ya in hope someone will answer...

fiddler616
May 13th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Nobody?

days_of_ruin
May 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Apparently some people have the opposite view http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784758

Maybe you can download the old version from the compiz site.

Vostrocity
May 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Yes, I dislike the new workspace-switching animation too. But I just disabled multiple workspaces, not because of this, but because I'm a Windows native so I'm not used to using them.

days_of_ruin
May 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I found the solution.
First install compiz settings manager:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Open it up in system->preferences.

Select "Desktop Wall", click on the "Viewport Switching" tab and backspace everything in the "Non sliding Windows" entry.

And now everything will slide not just the windows:D

fiddler616
May 14th, 2009, 02:19 AM
<snip>
And now everything will slide not just the windows:D
Brilliant! Thanks! (Too bad the "thanks" button died...)

For those who are interested, I kept the

type=Dock | state=Sticky
part so that sticky windows (to be seen on all workspaces) and the panels would stay put (I decided the panel part was actually a good call).