PDA

View Full Version : what are the best ways to get involved in the ubuntu community?

nathang1392
May 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
hi,

i have been using ubuntu for about 2 months and i really like the forums. i was just wondering what are some ways that you can get involved?

23meg
May 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM
It depends largely on your skills and interests. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu may give you some ideas.

XubuRoxMySox
May 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM
These forums are the best way! I tried to join the Beginners' Team but couldn't. I jumped through all the hoops they told me to (creating a Wiki and Launchpad account and stuff), and the next thing was to join them in their IRC chatroom. But you have to "register a nickname" in order to participate, and several attempts at it failed. But I was able to converse with others in the Beginners' Team chatroom, so I asked for help and did exactly everything they instructed. For nearly an hour and a half. No luck. But it was very entertaining for all the folks in there watching the newbie struggle.

I tried again two days later for about 30 minutes and got the same result, again much to the delight of the Beginners' Team members who got another 30 minutes of entertainment watching the newbie struggle with something that's supposed to be so simple.

I finally posted a goodbye in my "Introductions" thread in their forum. "I'll just go over to the Dark Side," I wrote. "It's the quick and easy path anyway, right?"

I dunno what possessed me to look in something called "Beginners' Team" to help me out as a beginner.

But I successfully joined the Florida LoCo team! I was all excited about meeting some other "Ubuntuans" and learning all I could and helping spread the word about this awesome, wonderful Linux distro! So I got this e-mail from the team about a "Release Party" for Jaunty and couldn't wait to go. I drove 60 miles to get there - and no one showed up. Turns out they changed the date to the next day, but forgot to include the newbie in the notification - even though the Florida LoCo team has it's own forum right here on this site.

So... no more release parties for this Florida Ubuntu fanboy. And no more Beginners' Team, and no more attempts at getting an IRC "nickname."

Just stick to the forums and contribute that way. It's fun and maybe you can help someone else along the way too.

-Robin

Wiebelhaus
May 4th, 2009, 10:36 PM
These forums are the best way! I tried to join the Beginners' Team but couldn't. I jumped through all the hoops they told me to (creating a Wiki and Launchpad account and stuff), and the next thing was to join them in their IRC chatroom. But you have to "register a nickname" in order to participate, and several attempts at it failed. But I was able to converse with others in the Beginners' Team chatroom, so I asked for help and did exactly everything they instructed. For nearly an hour and a half. No luck. But it was very entertaining for all the folks in there watching the newbie struggle.

I tried again two days later for about 30 minutes and got the same result, again much to the delight of the Beginners' Team members who got another 30 minutes of entertainment watching the newbie struggle with something that's supposed to be so simple.

I finally posted a goodbye in my "Introductions" thread in their forum. "I'll just go over to the Dark Side," I wrote. "It's the quick and easy path anyway, right?"

I dunno what possessed me to look in something called "Beginners' Team" to help me out as a beginner.

But I successfully joined the Florida LoCo team! I was all excited about meeting some other "Ubuntuans" and learning all I could and helping spread the word about this awesome, wonderful Linux distro! So I got this e-mail from the team about a "Release Party" for Jaunty and couldn't wait to go. I drove 60 miles to get there - and no one showed up. Turns out they changed the date to the next day, but forgot to include the newbie in the notification - even though the Florida LoCo team has it's own forum right here on this site.

So... no more release parties for this Florida Ubuntu fanboy. And no more Beginners' Team, and no more attempts at getting an IRC "nickname."

Just stick to the forums and contribute that way. It's fun and maybe you can help someone else along the way too.

-Robin

Wow , that sucks and I'm sorry to hear it went that way. That's not what this is about.

warren94
May 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
ok, this could seem really stupid, but how do i make a new thread?

XubuRoxMySox
May 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
ok, this could seem really stupid, but how do i make a new thread?

There's a New Thread button right between the Community forum list and the Community Cafe headers.

It's okay - it ain't where it belongs, is it, LOL.

-R

DeadSuperHero
May 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I would have to agree with just joining in on the forums. There's a really diverse group of people that log on here every day, with different thoughts, attitudes, and approaches to solving a problem.

Also, I think a good way of contributing is to do some independent artwork. Make a wallpaper or something and post it in the art section. People here tend to enjoy and appreciate things like that.

warren94
May 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Ah yes, thank you ever so much :)

Bölvağur
May 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Help people in the absolute beginners subforum finding solutions to their problems
Donate money to projects which you use software from
Betatest ubuntu and submit error reports

Stuff like that....

Eisenwinter
May 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
...and the next thing was to join them in their IRC chatroom. But you have to "register a nickname" in order to participate, and several attempts at it failed.

How could you possibly fail at doing /nickserv register password email from your IRC client?

XubuRoxMySox
May 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
How could you possibly fail at doing /nickserv register password email from your IRC client?

"...... is not a valid e-mail address."

I used a Launchpad address, every other address I have. Got the same error message instantly from Nickserv.

But "foo@bar.com" was recognized as valid. I had a nick for 24 hours, but because foo@bar.com is not a valid e-mail address, I couldn't use it to register a nickname before it expired.

Too funny, really. I don't need no friggin' nick to chat on IRC anyway. I was chatting the whole time I was there trying to register a nickname. Pft. Why bother?

Oh, and by the way.... [/hijack]. I thought I did that already.

-Robin

XubuRoxMySox
May 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Help people in the absolute beginners subforum finding solutions to their problems
Donate money to projects which you use software from
Betatest ubuntu and submit error reports

Stuff like that....

+1 to that! It's fun, you make friends, and you help people. One of the bestest and most wonderfulest things about Ubuntu is that anyone can get help very quickly from a hyooooge, friendly, supportive community right here in these forums. Try that with Windows! =D>

-Robin

Stupendoussteve
May 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I triage and contribute bugs and comments, and help in the Launchpad Answers system, as well as helping out on IRC and the users mailing list when I can. Also into doing some weird side projects, like I put together an Ubuntu Netbook Remix DVD (and wrote instructions) just because I was bored and someone mentioned wanting one. Working on learning packaging in my PPA and by looking at others. When I get some time I plan on working towards universe-contributer, but I'm not quite there.