PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to downgrade/uninstall 9.04

acroporas
May 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
This week I upgraded to 9.04.

Clearly this was a mistake. The upgraded was more like a downgrade. It broke all of the media players. I asked for help with the media players issue, and got no help. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7208896#post7208896

Living with things as they are is completely unacceptable since the only thing I did on that computer was watch media.

So the only solution left is to downgrade back to 8.10

How do I do this? Downgrade back to 8.10 that is.

Mark Phelps
May 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Sorry, there's no simple way to do that.

Therion
May 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
You'll need to do a fresh install of 8.10 to overwrite the current installation.

mikezila
May 4th, 2009, 08:23 PM
You can't, really. If you really must downgrade, you'll have to raze and rebuild using an older version. Reasons like this are why it's a great idea to have separate /home/ partitions.

acroporas
May 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

But damn, that is not what I wanted to hear.

Personal files are all on separate partitions - no trouble there. But I am really not excited about the prospect of spending a day re-installing all of the programs and getting everything working again.

No I do not want to downgrade. But since it does not look like anyone is going to help me get mplayer (or any other media player - I really don't care which one) working under 9.04, I do not really have a choice.

I suppose I know how I am going to be spending my afternoon....

lorddresefer
October 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM
I dont know how useful this is because its an older post but I would say just uninstall ur media players, then use the package manager to get them again