PDA

View Full Version : "Let Alone", and other such idioms

swoll1980
May 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
"Let alone" is an idiom for, "If it's not x, it surely isn't y" For example, "I wouldn't pay $1 for it, let alone $10. Since I won't pay $1 surely I wouldn't pay $10. What are some idioms from where you're from? I caught myself using "let alone" in another thread, and it got me wondering. An idiom is a phrase whose meaning cannot be determined by the literal definition of the phrase itself, but refers instead to a figurative meaning that is known only through common use.

mips
May 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
"Just now"
"Now now"

Usually a response to a question wrt when something will be done, when will we arrive, when will we leave etc. Usually any qaustion with time being the main thing.

It could mean anything from right now to some time later in the day.

DeadSuperHero
May 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
"Live and let live."

This is one of my favorites. To me, it represents an anthem of tolerance.

"To each his own."

Basically says "Hey, that's not really my style, but go ahead and do it if you want. I won't judge you."

Joeb454
May 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM
"Just now"
"Now now"

Usually a response to a question wrt when something will be done, when will we arrive, when will we leave etc. Usually any qaustion with time being the main thing.

It could mean anything from right now to some time later in the day.

Now I'm curious. I have a relative from SA, who says "Just Now" when really, they mean "later in the day".

Where I am "just now" is commonly used to refer to something in the past (i.e. less than an hour).

I could be mistaken though

Mehall
May 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Here, just now means either right this second, or that guy that was here just now, eg 5mins ago.

We all know that double negative makes a positive.

Us Scots have perfected the double positive: "Aye, Right." is said sarcastically, meaning you don't believe someone.

swoll1980
May 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Here, just now means either right this second, or that guy that was here just now, eg 5mins ago.

We all know that double negative makes a positive.

Us Scots have perfected the double positive: "Aye, Right." is said sarcastically, meaning you don't believe someone.

In US we have the same idiom, except it's "Yeah, right"

yabbadabbadont
May 5th, 2009, 03:45 AM
In US we have the same idiom, except it's "Yeah, right"

Oh, really? ;)

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
A few moments...as in "the doctor will see you in a few moments" ....what is the length of 1 moment and how many is a few?

yabbadabbadont
May 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
....what is the length of 1 moment and how many is a few?

I think that it is a sliding scale that depends upon how much blood is involved.

ninjapirate89
May 5th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I think that it is a sliding scale that depends upon how much blood is involved.

:lolflag:

CharmyBee
May 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I don't know nothing.

LightB
May 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
"Say wuuuuuutt??????"
"This is quite an unexpected turn of events, sir or madam."

Mateo
May 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
"Live and let live."

This is one of my favorites. To me, it represents an anthem of tolerance.

"To each his own."

Basically says "Hey, that's not really my style, but go ahead and do it if you want. I won't judge you."

... pretty sure these aren't idioms...

Mateo
May 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
My girlfriend is russian so she is always asking about idioms like these that don't make sense to her. One that she asked about recent was "might as well".

swoll1980
May 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
... pretty sure these aren't idioms...

I disagree. Live, and let live, would literately translate to "Stay alive, and don't kill anyone" which is not what the idiom is meant to imply.

mips
May 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Now I'm curious. I have a relative from SA, who says "Just Now" when really, they mean "later in the day".

Where I am "just now" is commonly used to refer to something in the past (i.e. less than an hour).

I could be mistaken though

Yes, "just now" is also used in that context over here but could easily extend past 1 hour :biggrin:

So yes, it can be very confusing. Foreigners battle a bit with the concept when they are over here.

happysmileman
May 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I've heard people say someone is "acting the maggot", generally as a way to say they're acting childish or stupid.
To shout at someone being to "give out" to them.

thewolfman
May 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
A few moments...as in "the doctor will see you in a few moments" ....what is the length of 1 moment and how many is a few?

A "moment" is taken from the latin "Momentum" which basically means movement, so by judging a doctors surgery "moment" you could be stuck there for hours!.

monsterstack
May 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Oh this looks fun. I suppose a typically idiomatic conversation with my lover goes something along the lines of,

"Yeah well he had an axe to grind. He was bellowing at the top of his lungs about it. He just went nuts."

"Well that's an about face. What did Bob say?"

"Well Bob turned around and said, 'Not on your life! I've bent over backwards trying to get you lot to go along. You're all just a bunch of big girls' blouses.'"

"That's a bit much."

"Yep."

So English turns out to be full of bizarre idioms. Gosh!

swoll1980
May 8th, 2009, 12:01 AM
"It's about time!" just caught myself using this one. Meaning, "I was wondering when that was going to happen"

swoll1980
May 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
"It's up to you" Meaning, "The choice is yours"

tuebinger
May 8th, 2009, 01:20 AM
A day late and a dollar short:
If something is a day late and a dollar short, it is too little, too late.

swoll1980
July 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM
A day late and a dollar short:
If something is a day late and a dollar short, it is too little, too late.

If something is too little, too late. It means you didn't have what you needed, when you needed it.

monsterstack
July 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM
People are always being driven round the bend where I live. If not that, then they're being driven up the wall. I want a car that can drive up walls. I don't know why these people are so unhappy about it all the time.

Oh, and people who say "I could care less" are trolling. All of them. Whenever anyone says that, then they are trolling. It's wrong, they know it's wrong, and they have been corrected on it countless times. And whenever anyone does call them up on it, their comeback is inevitably, "I could care less." Epic trolling right there.

gn2
July 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Friend: "What's that Ubuntu like then?"

Me: "It's the mutt's nuts"

The mutt's nuts, a.k.a. the dog's danglies = something of extremely high quality and worth, best of it's type.

LowSky
July 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM
"A little bird told me" -- my grandma loved that one, meaning someone told me something

A day late and a dollar (orbuck)short --too little, too late

wag the dog -- divert attention from something

jack of all trades -- knowlege of many jobs, but no mastery

caught egg on your face -- caught in the act

jet black -- meaning the darkest back for comparison's sake

face only a mother could love --- really ugly

face your demons -- to come to grips with you isses

its not over until the fat lady sings --- competition doesn't end until someone announces it

say uncle -- plead of someone to stop punishment

scot free -- to get away without punishment

sea legs -- a person who doens't not get motion sickness

dark horse -- a mysterious person

black sheep -- some one who doesn't fit in withe their family

JohnFH
July 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Catch yourself on!

Malac
July 1st, 2009, 07:49 PM
"Acting the Goat" - Behaving in a foolish manner.
"The Bees Knees" - Something, someone or some occasion which is extremely, good or the best. (See Dogs Danglies).
"Straight from the horse's mouth" - Information from the original source.
"Daft as a brush" - Extremely silly.
"Sure as eggs is eggs" - A certainty.

oedipuss
July 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
"A (or some) [item(s)] short of a [full set]" meaning the person the phrase refers to is weird, or a bit crazy.
For example, a few cards short of a full deck, or my favorite, a few crumpets short of a proper tea. :lol:

Swagman
July 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
In for a Penny, In for a Pound

Malac
July 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
"A (or some) [item(s)] short of a [full set]" meaning the person the phrase refers to is weird, or a bit crazy.
For example, a few cards short of a full deck, or my favorite, a few crumpets short of a proper tea. :lol:
I remember one similar to this from Germany.
"Nicht alle Tassen im Schrank", I think it was.
Literal translation "Not all the cups in the cupboard".

t0p
July 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Q: Where you off to?
A: To see a man about a dog.

I asked him to give me a by but the jobsworth wouldn't have it.