PDA

View Full Version : Top Ubuntu Twitter Client?

JMisczak
May 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Does anybody have an opnion on the best twitter client for Ubuntu? I'm primarily looking for something that integrates with Jaunty's notification system. It can be Adobe AIR or not, open source or not. But I'm spoiled by the notifications system now :)

Orlsend
May 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I am Into the whole client thing, what I really enjoy is the Gnome-do plug-in! that is pain easy and slick! all at your finger tips! (Did I mention it uses the Alert notification system) before that I used to update with the command line. I did use for a while the Microbloggin plug-in for Pidgin, but since it been failing me I decided to abandon it. I did gtwitter but it would never publish my tweets.

Fire_Chief
May 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I've been using the Spaz client on 8.10 for a while now. Not sure if it integrates with the Jaunty notification system but it does do a very similar style notification on it's own. It is AIR-based but is open source.
http://funkatron.com/spaz/

Cheers!

Spiritous
May 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I use Twitux :p

sirjoebob
May 4th, 2009, 06:03 PM
you can use Tweetdeck or Destroytwitter. both are good Adobe Air apps that work fine in Ubuntu. Tweetdeck is generally accepted as the best twitter client around.

castrojo
May 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Gwibber (it's in the repos) is oss and integrates with the messaging-indicator.

Mehall
May 4th, 2009, 09:19 PM

I agree with this post.

smbm
May 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM

"

silvagroup
May 5th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Gwibber, sounds like a great app, except - Installed on Jaunty went through all the process of authorizing and still can't get it to work with Facebook.
All I get is a blue screen.
Ideas on getting this to work please.

Thanks in advance.

sk1312
October 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Today i got a cool list of Top Twitter clients for ubuntu while googling hope u will like it!

Top 9 Twitter Clients for Ubuntu Linux (http://sneerwell.blogspot.com/2009/09/top-8-twitter-clients-for-ubuntu-linux.html) :P

pwnst*r
October 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
big fan of twhirl here (adobe air app)

abhiroopb
October 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Gwibber does not start for me. I click on the icon to start and nothing happens.

Twitux is fine, but, it displays these massive images for some users that take up the entire screen (literally!) and it becomes impossible to read all the other messages. Also there is not way to see @messages or direct messages.

Is there any client that can show direct messages and @messages?

I'm not a big fan of Adobe AIR apps, so please don't mention those!

Thanks.

Jesus_Valdez
October 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Twitux is fine, but, it displays these massive images for some users that take up the entire screen (literally!) and it becomes impossible to read all the other messages. Also there is not way to see @messages or direct messages.

Is there any client that can show direct messages and @messages?

Twitux show direct messages and @messages, click on View and you can choose "My timeline", "Direct Messages", "Direct Answers", etc. It just take a little to show them.

And integrates with Jaunty Notification, I just miss a "re-twit" option.

I integrate it with facebook and myspace from their pages and I can make updates from twittux.

Also, I don't have that "Pictures taking over" problem.

Hosmion
October 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM
TwitterBar is cool :D.. It's a Firefox addon that allows you to type your tweet in the address bar and then there is the Twitter 't' in the right side of the bar, and when you hit it it publishes your tweet!

Get it HERE (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4664)

Learn how to use it HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVToDqDT9lY)

coolbrook
October 24th, 2009, 12:53 AM
This thread is a good reminder to re-install Tweetdeck.

abhiroopb
October 24th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Twitux show direct messages and @messages, click on View and you can choose "My timeline", "Direct Messages", "Direct Answers", etc. It just take a little to show them.

Yes I just found it thanks. I guess that takes care of that side-note. But, it does take some time to update. Not a big deal.

And integrates with Jaunty Notification, I just miss a "re-twit" option.
Yes I agree the RT function is quite important, especially since you can't copy the other persons text into a new message anyway.

I integrate it with facebook and myspace from their pages and I can make updates from twittux.
How did you link Twitux with facebook?

Also, I don't have that "Pictures taking over" problem.
Fair enough...Basically, I think this depends on whether one of your friends avatars is very large. Most of the time this isn't a problem but: "@jamesallenonf1" has a really big avatar (don't know how he did that!) and it shows up taking up all of the space on Twitux.

Thanks for the help!

gamerchick02
October 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I love Gwibber.

The 2.0 brance is looking great too:

https://launchpad.net/gwibber (It's the trunk PPA.)

Enjoy whatever client you use.

Amy

abhiroopb
October 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I decided to use TweetDeck with Adobe Air...great program although a little laggier than a well integrated Gnome app.

Can anyone suggest any more cool adobe air programs?

Thanks!

macogw
October 27th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Necromancing. Closed.

Technoviking
October 27th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Gwibber, sounds like a great app, except - Installed on Jaunty went through all the process of authorizing and still can't get it to work with Facebook.
All I get is a blue screen.
Ideas on getting this to work please.

Thanks in advance.

That is working fine now in gwibber in Karmic.

T-V

bodhi.zazen
October 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Thread re-opened at community request =)

Cam42
October 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Tweetdeck all the way. Not sure how it works in Ubuntu though. I'll have to try :D

MasterNetra
October 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Soon to be Google Wave ;)

abhiroopb
October 28th, 2009, 03:26 AM
TweetDeck uses Adobe Air. I must say I have noticed that GTK apps look "old" as though they were made about 5 years ago. Nothing wrong with that and usually they are very functional but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I guess this could have something to do with your choice btu generally it looks old. Also, Qt apps looks a little to shiny and glossy...and they don't fit at all within gnome. However, Adobe Air Apps have the "shine-ness" that makes them look professionally made. The only slight problem is that they are a little slower than standard apps.

Go to tweetdeck.com and simply install it. Most painless process of installation I'v had in ubuntu.

handyguy
November 3rd, 2009, 04:52 AM
is it just on my computer or what? everytime i try to use tweetdeck something goes wrong. First it was starting then crashing right away... now it starts but can never refresh can someone tell me whats wrong?

helmingstay
November 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
I've had issues using AIR on a 64 bit platform. Use of 32 bit libraries seems to crop up, but i haven't dug into the issue in depth.

Personally, i love echofon's client - i discovered it on the ipod touch. It's available for firefox (formerly twitterfox).
http://echofon.com/twitter/firefox/

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
Tweetdeck is generally accepted as the best twitter client around.
+1 for Tweetdeck

HappinessNow
November 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
+1 for TweetdeckActually I have evolved to using Chrome Bird - Twitter Extension for Google Chrome/Chromium.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/social-communications/chromed-bird-twitter-extension/

abhiroopb
November 4th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Seismic Desktop also works quite well. But I still prefer the gui of tweetdeck. Any more useful adobe apps?

abq911
November 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I just put on Gwibber and its working great!

I just don't know if there are better alternatives, and until this crashes I'm not getting a new client.

kpgalligan
December 9th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Can't get tweetdeck working on Ubuntu 9.04, 64 bit.

Thanks, from red-headed stepchildren everywhere, Adobe.

yoitslion
December 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I have 3,000 plus Twitter followers and am looking for a Blackberry twitter client that can allow me to see tweets from a selected number of my followers - ie be able to filter the tweets I can see. Tweet deck allows me to do this on my desktop, but have yet to find a Blackberry client that can do the same.Can you recommend something for me?

Might be a bit tedious, but you could go through and turn on Mobile Notifications for those certain ones and handle them through SMS... Won't be anything fancy, but it would be a simple fix until something, like what you specified, is developed.

Keyper7
December 13th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I like Gwibber and I'm using it, but 2.0 was uploaded to the Karmic repositories in a very alpha state: it saves passwords in plain text (and does not offer an option to not save), does not properly recognize when a message is new and does not use avatars in the notifications. Luckily, it's Python, so it wasn't very hard to work around those problems in the source code. Unfortunately, my fixes were horrible hacks so I can't send patches to the developers.

That said, having a client integrated with notify-osd and indicator-applet is beautiful. And I'm surprised at some little bits of polish, such as using the indicator-applet only when a tweet is a direct reply to you.

macogw
December 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Choqok for me. Gwibber, last I checked, crashed on start for KDE users. So I started using Choqok and it turned out to have more features than Gwibber did (though fewer protocols).

keyshawn
December 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I had looked for one with the features that I wanted:

- Shorter url support (bit.ly or tr.im)
- Retweeting support
- direct messaging
- a GUI.
- preferably, although not required, something installable via synaptic.

Unfortunately, twitux, gtwitter, and gwibber didn't have any of the features. :(

Although I don't kubuntu, i just went with choqok and it has all met of all my needs so far.

Keyper7
December 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I had looked for one with the features that I wanted:

- Shorter url support (bit.ly or tr.im)
- Retweeting support
- direct messaging
- a GUI.
- preferably, although not required, something installable via synaptic.

Unfortunately, twitux, gtwitter, and gwibber didn't have any of the features. :(

What are you talking about? Gwibber has all of those features except direct messaging (it does support replying, though).

Plus, it has notify-osd and indicator-applet integration, which I'm loving.

asensio
December 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I'm trying Pino (http://pino-app.appspot.com/). It's in a early stage, it lacks some features, but it looks promising.

Meanwhile I'm using DestroyTwitter - AdobeAir App
Cheers

mrebanza
January 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
dude . . . . tweet deck!!!?!?!?!?! AND Seesmic too!!!!

Both available thanks to the Adobe Air Api

http://www.tweetdeck.com/assets/directory/homepage_small_deck.png

http://cache0.techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/seesmic.jpg

kaligus
February 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
how about a client with (most wishful thinking) selectable history to a searchable text file.

If not selectable how about everything that crosses my personal timeline to a text file to be searched?

I have made it through this thread so far and not found anything that actually does this (though a couple promise it in >1 year old roadmaps etc.

arnab_das
February 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
gwibber has some serious issues with pulling updates. check out the launchpad page of gwibber.

as for twitux, its just way too basic for my liking.

hence, adobe air comes to the rescue. seesmic works fine for me.

mememe
February 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Is there any client that supports lists yet? I use Gwibber, but I miss that function too much... And btw Gwibber is gonna look like Tweetdeck in the next version.

arnab_das
February 17th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Is there any client that supports lists yet? I use Gwibber, but I miss that function too much... And btw Gwibber is gonna look like Tweetdeck in the next version.

that is 'apparently'. unless they figure out a way to cure the serious issues plaguing gwibber right now, i dont see it in lucid as a useful app.

i have reported countless times on the bugs page of gwibber, as of now it hasnt been resolved yet.

you can help by visiting the official bug reporting page of gwibber and commenting on the issue/s which affect you. here's the link: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gwibber

skawars
February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
The best Twitter software i've found is TweetDeck, from my Windows days. Luckily after migrating I found it works on Linux too through Adobe AIR. I know there are probably some good ones specifically designed for linux but I've yet to find any client as good as TweetDeck.

calagan
March 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I tweet from my iGoogle page using TwitterGadget. Of course there's no notification system, but otherwise it's very feature-rich (search, retweet, shorten urls,...) and I find very convenient to have my tweets showing up alongside with e-mails, RSS feeds, calendar, etc... on the same page.

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Seesmic's nice, I do miss Twhirl though, always preferred the look of it.

scouser73
March 8th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Installed Pino, does the job no problems.

chriswyatt
March 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Found an article:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/twitter-applications-for-linux-ubuntu.html

Tikkyca
March 8th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Twhirl i also use Chromed Bird Plug-in for google chrome.

scouser73
March 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Forget that I mentioned Pino, I've installed TweetDeck which IMHO is far better.

Orange Kingdom
June 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Any decent Twitter clients? With Gwibber i cant tweet, cant delete, and use too much memory/cpu.
Can't download Tweetdeck, link doesnt work

Ok,i installed Tweetdeck and i must say it's too bloated and looks awful. I reinstalled Gwibber and it is comparing to other clients not so bad.
Hope for better versions soon.

alfplayer
June 11th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I've searched a lot. I don't think there is a decent client for linux or windows (web service or desktop app). The only one I like is a windows app called Metrotwit (it uses .NET 4 so running it on linux is probably impossible).

tonyburkhart
August 20th, 2010, 10:01 PM
For what it's worth, I am loving TweetDeck and it's cross platform and multi account setup. I use it on my iPad, Mac mini, Ubuntu desktop and haven't had a single problem with it. I also have my Google Buzz and FourSquare linked to it, which makes it easy to manage all different accounts.

My vote - TweetDeck :)

Ralob
August 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Tried most of the AIR apps; Tweetdeck and Seesmic both have fonts that are too small for me to see. I finally ended up using Hootsuite and making an app out of it in Chrome. Not completely satisfied, but it works until Tweetdeck adds font resizing.

ygns
August 31st, 2010, 12:11 AM
AIR apps seem bloated to me. I'm going to give my +1 to Pino. I just wish version 0.3 will support lists.

DjSesso
September 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
Today i got a cool list of Top Twitter clients for ubuntu while googling hope u will like it!

Top 9 Twitter Clients for Ubuntu Linux (http://sneerwell.blogspot.com/2009/09/top-8-twitter-clients-for-ubuntu-linux.html) :P

I support tweetdeck. :)

jackopo
January 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hotot!!!

Right now it's way much better than Gwibber (only for twitter I mean).

It works with the notification system and it's lightweight.

It's not perfect yet, but I prefer it to any adobe thing.

It can delete tweets, retweet with the official retweetting way or with RT, it can preview images or upload them directly from the client to some images-for-twitter web sites (ex: twitpic.com).

Give it a try. I think it's worth it.

http://hotot.org/

abjdiat
April 13th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Hotot!!!

Right now it's way much better than Gwibber (only for twitter I mean).

It works with the notification system and it's lightweight.

It's not perfect yet, but I prefer it to any adobe thing.

It can delete tweets, retweet with the official retweetting way or with RT, it can preview images or upload them directly from the client to some images-for-twitter web sites (ex: twitpic.com).

Give it a try. I think it's worth it.

http://hotot.org/

it is the best i used so far, lightweight, efficient, customizable and supports plugins , integrated notifications works fine , you can choose either displaying the number of new tweets or their content, I highly recommend it ,

shimoda
April 25th, 2011, 05:51 PM
for now I'm happy with Firefox Echofon Extension:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ca/firefox/addon/echofon-for-twitter/

Spiritof76
June 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Chrome Extention Chrome Bird is Now called Silver Bird.
Works good.

asadullah
July 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Just installed tweetdeck. It's killing gwibber and you don't do much but put your account details in and it works.

Nisal
August 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
just install chrome and use a extension like tweetdeck or silverbird

galacticaboy
September 21st, 2011, 03:31 AM
Gwibber is horrible, I tried to use it with my Identi.ca and Facebook, nothing would even display. It would not show anything, just a black screen. I also installed the Google Buzz plugin, it would not even show. I recommend installing Adobe Air, open up Software Center and click on Canonical Partners, enable the Adobe Air source and install it, then download TweetDeck. It is a great application and it actually works. I would stay away from Gwibber.

videv
October 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM

But Gwibber can't retweet with comment..

tkruise
March 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm using Silver Bird, and it sucks so bad :(

shizz
March 25th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Use Polly. It's in alpha builds I think but it is very stable and brilliant to use.

cepal
April 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
(Hotot)

it is the best i used so far, lightweight, efficient, customizable and supports plugins , integrated notifications works fine , you can choose either displaying the number of new tweets or their content, I highly recommend it ,

Lightweight? Efficient??? on my 32bit lubuntu it consumes 50% more RAM than Pidgin with all plugins (including the twitter plugin). Rendering is slow like I was having some old 386SX CPU with 256kB GPU. Please explain.