PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ubuntu and Hardware Sales

phoenixubuntu
January 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM
What are the possibilities of selling computer hardware with Ubuntu as the OS instead of Windows? Ubuntu is free to all, but does that include computer sales. If I was a local computer shop wanting to sell machines to others, would this be something I could do?

Arktis
January 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'm not sure but I believe I've heard a thing or two about some people already doing this... it's certainly not the big guys like Dell HP/Compaq or Gateway, though. BTW, this topic belongs in Community Chat. I've already made a request to get it moved. ;)

phoenixubuntu
January 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Is there a reason it belongs there, I picked this one because it seems like a beginner question.

Thanks!

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
The answer to your questions is that ubuntu is released under the gpl (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html)this states that it is legal for you to resell ubuntu or any other gpl product for that matter, however when ever you distrubute a gpl product you must keep it under the gpl and give the source code and the freadom to that person to change the program however they want as long as they keep it under the gpl.

SHROT ANSWER: yes they could legaly sell comuters with ubuntu on them... infact i think hp is doing it now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35244)

Arktis is correct this is more of a community chat post because all other sections are for support issues only (eg my computer wont boot). We do this because the there are many teams of people asigned to make sure sections do not go unanswered. rule of thumb, if something is not working post in support, general questions about how to do somehting in ubuntu can also go in support, anything thats not a problem you have should usualy be in the community chat.

EDIT 1: I have msgd a mod to ask that this thread be moved.

EDIT 2: thanks for moving it.

phoenixubuntu
January 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Excellent, does this mean that I'd have to include either a copy of the Ubuntu CD or have the source files on the hard drive to satisfy the GPL?

I'm continuing the discussion here with the asumption it will be moved to the correct forum.

curuxz
January 9th, 2006, 07:36 PM
neither, providing there is a location (like giving them the hyperlink to a ftp server) where they can obtain sources. So long as you dont modify your install of ubuntu you should be fine using the main repo's though I would suggest you DO provide reinstall disks since certain packages are on there and they can be usefull if your users fubar their shinny new system. Also you must not charge for the software.

Arktis
January 9th, 2006, 07:58 PM
SHROT ANSWER: yes they could legaly sell comuters with ubuntu on them... infact i think hp is doing it now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35244)
Well, I suppose I stand corrected. I had no idea the likes of HP were up to this. And they supposedly include FreeDOS? Interesting. The topic is kinda old though, but from what I gather:

1.) This was done with Hoary. I am not clear on whether they are continuing this with Breezy or whether they will continue with Dapper, or whether they've stopped altogether.

2.) Aside from an HP branded iso download being availible for HP laptop users of specific model(s), it appears as though they are only doing this bundle in Europe and not elsewhere.

Could we maybe get some clarification on these points if any can be provided? I've done some initial searching, but nothing recent has shown up so far. I'm very interested in this even though I don't have an HP laptop.

earobinson
January 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
As I understand walmart did sell cheep linux pc's at one point (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=106562&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A106562, and http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/24/walmart_and_sun_share_linux/) but they pulled them because they did not sell well.

As far as I know points 1 and 2 are correct.

GeneralZod
January 9th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Also you must not charge for the software.

The GPL contains no restrictions against selling Free software. In fact, Stallman himself advises you to charge as much for it as you can get! :) Some people do have doubts about the ethics of selling someone else's software and so charge not for the software itself, but for the service of installing and configuring it, but this is a matter of personal ethics, not legality.

poofyhairguy
January 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Also you must not charge for the software.

No. You CAN charge for GPL software. Really. Its cool.

curuxz
January 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Well I'm not going to argue with you zod since its many years since I have bothered to even attempt to read the GPL but on a quick glance I would have to say I think your wrong and going against everything I have ever heard about opensouce esp. the GPL

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

The above quote is from article one of the GPL and says nothing about being alowed to charge for anything other than services relating too the code, while I could not find a refrence to charging (it was just a quick look) I saw several relating to the licence being kept intanct (ie free software in both senses of the word) and strict prohibitation on royalities since that would break the licence.

My advice to people is NEVER charge for code, only support and managment instead else you could run it to issues, not to mention the realy bad kama of profiting of someone elses hard work.

:)

stimpack
January 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM
If any big company sells computers with Linux on they can be sure to get a ****** deal come next negotiation time with MS for Windows. They need good deals and so are exclusive to Windows, state they recommend Windows on all their web-pages etc.. then they get a good price.

earobinson
January 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
gpl in a nut shell is free as in speach not as in beer, this being said you can do whatever you want with it after you have it as long as you keep it under the gpl, and the gpl stats that you must let (and make easy by providing source code) anyone else do what they want with it.

for example ubuntu code is poping up in all source of distros and it is even in linspire, and red hat (you have to pay for these distros) and ubuntu its self is based off debian at the core