PDA

View Full Version : Best way to install Ubuntu NBR on Acer Aspire One?

markw10
May 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I am preparing to install the 9.04 version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a 10.1" Acer Aspire One.
What is the best way to do this? I have already downloaded the image and I know this can be put on a USB stick.
Should I use this? If I boot with this is there an option to then install the Ubuntu NBR to the hard drive?
Or am I better off installing 9.04 Ubuntu to the hard drive and then following the directions on this website to update it to Ubuntu NBR?

Also, once I go with Ubuntu NBR can I switch between the NBR and Gnome desktops?

udippel
May 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM
'Yes' is the answer to your questions. Put it on a stick, chose the first option, look at it if you like it. Then do the install by selecting the second options directly after start. It is a great success here, replacing the linpus. Yes, you can as well chose the layout between desktop and NBR.
Here (A110-8.9") everythings works okay, almost everything. On Linpus, mplayer was working fine, here it crashes badly. Also, taking videos with the webcam is close to impossible (1.5 frames per second). Lastly, NBR has a slightly higher consumption, so the battery lasts a tad less long.

Uwe

markw10
May 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
That sounds great. I'm going to try the install from the stick then.

Abilnet
May 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yes, everything is going to be fine... just did the same in a few hours ago.

beast-o
May 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I've got the acer aspire one, and have downloaded the .img for ubuntu NBR, however when trying to put the image on a usb I couldnt find the usb writer within the linpus system (which really sucks)
I managed to use my friends xp laptop and sort out the image properly putting it on the usb pen but when I boot from the usb I get through to the install of ubuntu then it jumps me to a command line interface and I've no idea whats going on...
Alas I am a total linux noob and havent a clue whats happening! All threads I've seen that relate to this problem involve the use of a cd drive which I dont have :<

Ryaka
June 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM
All the information that you need to install the Ubuntu NBR, can be found here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

It's been tested on the following models and all the 'possible' issues are listed as well
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks