PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Desperatly need help with music files.

cptrohn
May 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Ok here is my dilema....

When I was using windows, (the Zune software specifically) I ripped all of my CD's to my computer... (around 350 of them) and the problem I have is that the CD's that got ripped with the Zune software got seperated in the system from the proper album/artist folders and when I moved the files to the external HD for safekeeping they are now listed only by the track number and the song title with no visible artist information for the file in my music folder... I have been able to get them sorted through Amarok when I play th song because then the artist/cd name/genre tags are all available once the track is playing... I am wondering if there is a way to access this information without opening the file in amarok so I can get this mess sorted out in a faster, more efficient manner... I'v played around some but can't seem to find a way to get to the tags without opening the music player and actually playing the track... I desperately want to get these organized again and it would be MUCH easier and faster to just be able to view the information in the tags and drag and drop to the right folders...

The way I am going it will take 6 mos to get things back in order:lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
May 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM
You mean ID3 tagging, there was an app to edit massive ID3 tags with linux but I think its terminal based

ninjapirate89
May 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM
The Zune software sucks soooo bad (I have one too). One of my worst purchases. Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem though.

Edit -> Maybe Kid3 or EasyTAG could help. I've never used either but I found them under Add/Remove.

shakma
May 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Howdy, cap'n!

Try this:

Right click on the file in it's folder. Then choose properties. You should then see a series of tabs across the top of the properties window (i.e. "Basic/Emblems/Permission/Open With/etc...")
Click the "Audio/Video" tab and you should see the information you're looking for!

Hope this helps. Let me know if this wasn't what you had in mind...

Peace.
shakma

cptrohn
May 4th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Howdy, cap'n!

Try this:

Right click on the file in it's folder. Then choose properties. You should then see a series of tabs across the top of the properties window (i.e. "Basic/Emblems/Permission/Open With/etc...")
Click the "Audio/Video" tab and you should see the information you're looking for!

Hope this helps. Let me know if this wasn't what you had in mind...

Peace.
shakma

I don't get those options when I right click on the file and that is what has me stumped... all I get are a general tab and a permissions tab, I don't see an audio/video tab at all. I'm just not seeing any tag information no matter what I do....Is this something that is available in gnome but not in Dolphin?

cptrohn
May 4th, 2009, 05:45 AM
The Zune software sucks soooo bad (I have one too). One of my worst purchases. Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem though.

Edit -> Maybe Kid3 or EasyTAG could help. I've never used either but I found them under Add/Remove.

I'll give those a look tonight, thanks.

cptrohn
May 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Easytag looks like it might work... unfortuantly it doesn't list wma's as supported.... I guess now is as good a time as any to get those files converted from wmv to ogg or FLAC eh? :)

You know I just didn't like windows before..... but with the mess now I truly hate it... LOL

ninjapirate89
May 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Easytag looks like it might work... unfortuantly it doesn't list wma's as supported.... I guess now is as good a time as any to get those files converted from wmv to ogg or FLAC eh? :)

You know I just didn't like windows before..... but with the mess now I truly hate it... LOL

If you still use your Zune then mp3 would be your best option. Zune doesn't play OGG or FLAC.