PDA

View Full Version : Man Linux hates me today... (long story)

Brainy142
May 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Well I booted into my Mandriva installation (man Mandriva sucks crashing, took 4 GIGS, (like wtf) and decided to partition the drive into 5 partitions:confused:..... for no reason.... Sigh)

Well I booted up to do some Homework and guess what NOTHING usb would mount BLARG!!! #-o Well I rebooted, tried other devices and decided screw it I'm switching.:D

Then I decided why not try deban and choose dream linux.... (looks pretty and had apple bar thingy)

well..... erm.... It installed pretty dam fast and I was happy.... Untill the reboot...
It decided no I'm not going to work and said SDA1 could not be mounted due to specal features (WTF.....). then had error code 201.:shock:

Tried again and it failed... ](*,)

Then I said beep it I'm going back to ubuntu.... (which got nuked when pclinux OS COMPLETELY nuked my computer..... a while ago)

Booted the linux net install everything installs happly until i get to choose the packages I wanted. I thought if I pressed enter it would install what was currently selected and let it do stuff.... Well I was wrong and just ended the thng saying I'l just use the GUI package manager to install what I wanted..... BAD MOVE....#-o

Reboots and then I realized I...... Didn't have a GUI..... BLARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLARG!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLARG!!!!!!!](*,)

Then I thought hmm.... whats that thing that I read before (I have never secsessfully used the terminal in mandriva as it was stupid)
and then I typed in apt get gnome .... Now it is installing and I'm hopeing it will then reboot and give me a freaking GUI....

I hope it auto configures....[-o<

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yeah, you'll probably get something out of it.

Handy tip:

If you install GNOME, restart, and then it kicks you into a terminal, just run the command "gdm," (or maybe "sudo gdm," I can't remember which,) to start GNOME manually.

Also, if everything is just goin' catastrophic at once, maybe it's your actual computer.

sandyd
May 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Yeah, you'll probably get something out of it.

Handy tip:

If you install GNOME, restart, and then it kicks you into a terminal, just run the command "gdm," (or maybe "sudo gdm," I can't remember which,) to start GNOME manually.

Also, if everything is just goin' catastrophic at once, maybe it's your actual computer.

its

sudo gdm

Dngrsone
May 4th, 2009, 03:53 AM
You know, that's what I'm thinking-- you have hardware issues, buddy. Likely the hard drive, though I wouldn't doubt the memory being bad.

How about booting the Live disk and running memtest86+ on that bad boy, at least you'll be able to verify your RAM.

Brainy142
May 4th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Erm..ok the pclinux os thing was a long time ago (I was installing a package it crashed grub and everything got nuked....

usb thing just started today (not fryed as it is what I USED to install everything.

Right now it is configureing everything have a good day I'm going to fix this tommorrow

only thing that REALLY suck about linux for me is no 3d support (due to having a crappy onboard VIA.... I coundn't get that DMA or whatever to work as termonal (in Mandriva) kept denying me sudo (It evan said "what is sudo" lol)

thanks for the tip foe gnome though.

Brainy142
May 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I'm running a memtest86 now :D.
So far no errors...
Oddly my 1 core processor has 2 caches old AMD FTW:P

Good news:
Memtest86 has no errors :P
I have a sort of gui.....................

bad news: I have no menus just a screen with the deban logo????
It starts ubuntu with one error something about usr tmp exits or somethink???

I really need a menu :( (I like my GUI's)

ps: why in the installer it told me not to start my user name with a capital???

Dngrsone
May 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm running a memtest86 now :D.
So far no errors...
Oddly my 1 core processor has 2 caches old AMD FTW:P

Good news:
Memtest86 has no errors :P
I have a sort of gui.....................

bad news: I have no menus just a screen with the deban logo????
It starts ubuntu with one error something about usr tmp exits or somethink???

I really need a menu :( (I like my GUI's)

ps: why in the installer it told me not to start my user name with a capital???

I'm glad to hear that you RAM seems to be working. We'll need specifics on the errors in order to figure that out.

As for the user name, that's a limitation imposed by one of the security protocols, as I recall. I heard that this may be solved in Jaunty (9.04), but I may be mistaken.

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Did you try booting in single-user mode (AKA recovery mode) and selecting the "repair X display" option?

LowSky
May 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
What is sudo...lol

um but many distros dont use Sudo, some need it to be installed or enabled

MaxIBoy
May 4th, 2009, 08:53 PM
He's talking about Ubuntu specifically here.

Brainy142
May 4th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Good news everyone... you know that time I pressed enter...... well.... erm..... I didn't install a DESKTOP ROFL!!! I thought if I installed Gnome it would do it automatically but.... erm that failed.... and gave me some stupid error (256)...

Well I'm trying again a complete re-installation I hope it works...

hatten
May 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
why not do a simple clean install from a "normal" ubuntu CD, it is kinda impossible to fail with that one.

dragos240
May 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Perhaps you could try arch. If you have an ethernet connection (hardwire, or connected to wall), it'll be easier, read the manual, you'll have a nice gui, and everything you want. The begginners guide is awesome.

Sukarn
May 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
For a working ubuntu desktop, you could do sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop from the terminal, which would install the whole gnome thing with menus and everything, like in a normal ubuntu desktop.

Brainy142
May 4th, 2009, 10:31 PM
*screws net install and goes for regular install*

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Guy's it's not booting correctly (I get a black screen)

Eisenwinter
May 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
What exactly did you install, and in what method?

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Installed via live cd (from usb)... Live cd worked I wonder if it has something with using the home from my old linux and not formatting as I dont have anywhere to Back up my data.....

Note that root drive WAS formatted

going to possibly try to make a partition (the only remaning empty one besides the one ubuntu is in)

Note that GUI worked when it was on live USB.

Brainy142
May 5th, 2009, 01:16 AM
ITS ALIVE:guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

This is ALIVE

(ya I know I get over-excited)

problem was mounting of /home.

MaxIBoy
May 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Glad you got it working.